Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

3.6L Pentastar Normal Engine Temperature?

Old 08-07-2019, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.6L Pentastar Normal Engine Temperature?

From what you guys (and gals) are seeing, what's a normal operating engine temperature range of our 3.6L engine? If you guys don't mind, chime in with what you're seeing your temperature reading to be for Pentastar engine when warmed up for the day.

I have a 2016 JKU Sport S w/ automatic transmission. 2 1/2" suspension lift, 35" tires, original 3.73 gears....and at some point maybe 10-12mos ago, for whatever reason I started feeling like the engine was running a tad warmer than it previously had been. I can't even recall exactly what first made me start watching the coolant temperature reading more closely on my dash, but ever since I did, I notice it easily getting to 224/226 commonly, often to 228, and occasionally to 230. I've once seen it get to 233 when i was pushing it a little faster on a quick acceleration while test-driving it after a recent repair.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:14 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I'm in DFW, so we're sweatin' the same heat together. What you are seeing is fairly normal for the 3.6L around our parts. Summer heat here is a bit tough on our JKs. The 3.6L runs a little warmer anyhow, and when it's up around 100* or more outside it's just a little harder to keep things down. I usually monitor things closer in the summer than rest of the year for this reason. Don't fret. If you're getting up over 236*, THAT is when I back off it and give er a break. I've seen 242* a couple times last year and was not a happy camper. Granted, I'm geared low and run pretty high RPMs on the interstate.

You might just be a little more vigilant in monitoring your coolant level as well.

**for what it's worth, I've monitored my jeep while idling in the drive before. My fan kicks to high around 224*, and when the temp dips back down around 210* it kicks back to low.
The following users liked this post:
drphil (08-07-2019)

Quick Reply: 3.6L Pentastar Normal Engine Temperature?