Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

3.6 engine on JK 07-11?

Old 09-26-2013, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Philip *AZ*
I know this is a very old thread, but I am going to bring it back from the dead. I was thinking of doing the 3.8 swap. Yes, I would love to run an LS over a V6, but the price for that kind of swap is way out of my range. It is close to 8-9k. The Motech kit alone is 5k and the motor probably another 2-3k. Plus running a V8 I would need to swap out both axles. I am keeping my Dana 30 up front and the Dana 44 out back. A V8 would eat that Dana 30 for firkin breakfast, the Dana 44 would hold up to the task I bet. I have considered finding a wrecked Rubi and stealing the front 44, but not for a while. I would rather stick with a V6 depending on (already mentioned) the overall cost of the swap. Yes throwing a turbo kit or SC on the 3.8 would help tons, but again they are pretty expensive and I am not sure I like the whine of the SC, it's pretty damn loud from the videos I have seen. The turbo from Prodigy would be cool, but again, expensive. Overall, I felt a swap from one JK to another wouldn't be too bad. There can't be that much that has changed and I would take everything out of the other JK required for the 3.8. I am looking for the simplest solution. If a V8 is needed then it would definitely be an LS over the HEMI. The LS has far more aftermarket options and is a far superior motor.
You can get a used supercharger for a lot less then new, the sprintex and aev blowers are very quiet compared to ripp or hesco. They also change the torque curve to have more torque lower in the rpm range which is needed for our heavy jeeps. Check out the used superchargers for sale....
Old 09-26-2013, 07:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will give that a look, but Im just worried that a high mileage motor might puke its guts out with it pushin too much power. Im at around 94k miles on my 07' JK. Thats kinda why I have been considering an engine swap. I know I can get plenty more miles out of my current 3.8l, but again, whats it going to do when I put a SC or Turbo kit on it? Im just feelin around to see others honest takes on the idea. (Like yours) at least I got a straight forward option. I am also going to contact Jeep specifically to find out what I would need in order to do a 3.8 to 3.6 swap. You know, wiring, Canbus issues, earlier mentioned dash issues, stuff like that. So thanks for your positive feedback man. I really appreciate it!
Old 09-26-2013, 09:44 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Yankee
Eh never mind.

Cannot delete my post?
Tes-s-s-s-s-st. Hmmm, I guess not. Used to be able to, because I remember it wanting you to add a reason. I can't find it any more, however. Too bad. This is a thread that would have been better left in the bit graveyard and a new one started.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 09-26-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Philip *AZ*
I will give that a look, but Im just worried that a high mileage motor might puke its guts out with it pushin too much power. Im at around 94k miles on my 07' JK. Thats kinda why I have been considering an engine swap. I know I can get plenty more miles out of my current 3.8l, but again, whats it going to do when I put a SC or Turbo kit on it? Im just feelin around to see others honest takes on the idea. (Like yours) at least I got a straight forward option. I am also going to contact Jeep specifically to find out what I would need in order to do a 3.8 to 3.6 swap. You know, wiring, Canbus issues, earlier mentioned dash issues, stuff like that. So thanks for your positive feedback man. I really appreciate it!
No problem, if you're engine is solid now, and you keep up with maintenance on the blower and engine it should last a long time because the kits out there right now aren't pushing massive boost and the tunes are perfected which is what makes or brakes engines. As long as the tune doesn't create detonation the engine will last a long time.

Good luck asking jeep about a swap... If you figure it out let us know!

Quick Reply: 3.6 engine on JK 07-11?