Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

3.6 engine on JK 07-11?

Old 12-06-2011, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by RubiDude
Just think that some people lament and bitch as a coping technique. I am happy and secure..in my Jeep and sexuality.
Lol.......
Old 12-06-2011, 11:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ssach
If you are doing a engine SWAP or considering it you should see what the overall cost difference is vs. HEMI. The 3.6L is nice, but I would take a HEMI any day of the week if left with a option when doing a engine SWAP.
I've been looking at the hemi for 2 years now. Total price is about 13K here in CA, but it doesn't have the MDS unless you have an auto. I've been preparing for it and have dual D60's plus the Rubicon T-case. If I went with the 3.6 I could have kept my rubicon D44 axles and been fine (but still did some building with them). The cost of a hemi if you want to do it right, is a lot more than a 3.6 swap...
Old 12-07-2011, 06:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fourwheelingbigbubba
I wasn't saying for them to make an V6 and an Inline-6. My OP was aimed at the mass produced 4.0 in the NEW Dodge (Heat version) Nitro, and as to why the 4.0 legend died; When still today they make 4.0's. In otherwise if they never made the 3.8, and the newer 3.6 and just stuck with original engine size. (I know it's not an I6)

Whoah, steady there! I was actually responding to the other comments about the TJ application 4.0 inline six by other people that appeared in several posts following yours; your original post did indeed make it clear you were referring to the 4.0L V6.

Threads do have a habbit of veering slightly off topic sometimes, which in my opinion makes the forum a far richer and interesting place as long as the discussion remains relevant. So please don't take offense (certainly none was intended) as I was not responding to your original post but instead to posts from other members discussing a slightly different topic to the one you aired (which in turn had moved slightly off-topic from the original thread-starter that discussed the options of retrofitting the Pentastar 3.6L to earlier model JKs (in hindsight I should have used the quote function to make it clear which individual posts I was indeed commenting on).

I just added my 2cents worth to the discussion that always seems to crop up concerning the merits of the I6 TJ motor as opposed to the V6 JK motor and particularly the common complaints along the lines of "why couldn't they have kept the faithful old 4.0 I6 & put it in the new JK instead of the V6 minivan motor", and pointed out some of the the reasons (apart from the obvious one that the old 4.0 I6 just couldn't make the new stricter emmissions standards) why Chrysler discontinued it despite the basic I6 motor design being in some ways superior to the 60-degree V6 layout in a longitudinally-mounted application such as the offroad JK Wrangler.

Last edited by JKlad; 12-07-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my JK for a year and I'm trading it in on a F350 with a diesel. These things are so under powered it's a joke.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since the 3.8 has been produced for years, I will not say it is not a good motor. I personally think it was a poor choice for something with the weight and aerodynamics of the JK, to which almost all of us add even more weight. Not offroad of course, 4-lo takes care of that.

But for many the JK is also a daily driver, and will get a lot more miles on the road than off. I am not the only one who did not like the performance of the 3.8 on the street.

Until someone actually swaps a 3.6 into an 07-11 JK, we do not know what it would cost. The engines are probably still kind of expensive, are low milage used ones very easy to find yet?

I imagine the PCM is different, at least the programming. I have to wonder what changes would be required to the wiring harness. Maybe different motor mount locations. Will the old exhaust system line up? What about the custom bent lines like A/C?

If changes like the above are required, then it is just like a hemi or LS swap, except there is not a kit yet. Probably will be eventually. Perhaps find a wrecked 2012 and use all the parts needed.

Will the 3.6 motor be easier or even cheaper to swap in than a V-8? The 340 horse 5.7 can be had pretty cheap.

It might be more practical to just trade for a 2012.

LOL no....I did not say I was practical.

Last edited by Yankee; 12-08-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yankee
Since the 3.8 has been produced for years, I will not say it is not a good motor. I personally think it was a poor choice for something with the weight and aerodynamics of the JK, to which almost all of us add even more weight. Not offroad of course, 4-lo takes care of that.

But for many the JK is also a daily driver, and will get a lot more miles on the road than off. Many people do not like the performance of the 3.8 on the street.

Until someone actually swaps a 3.6 into an 07-11 JK, we do not know what it would cost. The engines are probably still kind of expensive, are low milage used ones very easy to find yet?

I imagine the PCM is different, at least the programming. I have to wonder what changes would be required to the wiring harness. Maybe different motor mount locations. Will the old exhaust system line up? What about the custom bent lines like A/C?

If changes like the above are required, then it is just like a hemi or LS swap, except there is not a kit yet. Probably will be eventually. Perhaps find a wrecked 2012 and use all the parts needed.

For the trouble, is the 3.6 motor a lot cheaper or worth the gas mileage over a V-8?

It might be much easier to just trade for a 2012.
Hemi will be worth the trouble, right now I'm satisfied with my 3.8 and I don't care much for fuel I'm getting about 360 KM per tank driving mixed styles but always taking off spinning the tires.

My friends are happy with new engine and I'm happy for them, keeping my JK till Chrysler drops a V8 but meanwhile a SC will be sufficient.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK_Oman

Hemi will be worth the trouble, right now I'm satisfied with my 3.8 and I don't care much for fuel I'm getting about 360 KM per tank driving mixed styles but always taking off spinning the tires.

My friends are happy with new engine and I'm happy for them, keeping my JK till Chrysler drops a V8 but meanwhile a SC will be sufficient.
Cant wait for new headers and exhaust..... SC is the best thing to wake up 3,8.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:32 PM
JK Freak

I dont care what the specs say, the 4.0 straight six was a far better engine than the 3.8, felt more torquey and was built strong.
And actually, the I6 4.0 that was is the TJ is alot better for 4-wheelin. The 3.8 may have more overall torque, but it is on a curve...the I6 had instant torque with out having to get the RPM's up like you have to do in the JK. It went away because of govt standards and regs, but I would take that engine anyday over what is in the Wranglers now (except for a Hemi swap).
Old 09-26-2013, 01:27 AM
JK Freak

I know this is a very old thread, but I am going to bring it back from the dead. I was thinking of doing the 3.8 swap. Yes, I would love to run an LS over a V6, but the price for that kind of swap is way out of my range. It is close to 8-9k. The Motech kit alone is 5k and the motor probably another 2-3k. Plus running a V8 I would need to swap out both axles. I am keeping my Dana 30 up front and the Dana 44 out back. A V8 would eat that Dana 30 for firkin breakfast, the Dana 44 would hold up to the task I bet. I have considered finding a wrecked Rubi and stealing the front 44, but not for a while. I would rather stick with a V6 depending on (already mentioned) the overall cost of the swap. Yes throwing a turbo kit or SC on the 3.8 would help tons, but again they are pretty expensive and I am not sure I like the whine of the SC, it's pretty damn loud from the videos I have seen. The turbo from Prodigy would be cool, but again, expensive. Overall, I felt a swap from one JK to another wouldn't be too bad. There can't be that much that has changed and I would take everything out of the other JK required for the 3.8. I am looking for the simplest solution. If a V8 is needed then it would definitely be an LS over the HEMI. The LS has far more aftermarket options and is a far superior motor.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eh never mind.

Cannot delete my post?

Last edited by Yankee; 09-26-2013 at 05:20 AM.

Quick Reply: 3.6 engine on JK 07-11?