Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2dr n kid(s)

Old 11-21-2008, 04:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayland1985
I've nearly convinced my buddy to switch over to the dark side!!! (You know... owning a vehicle that requires a slogan: It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand)

He's in the market for a used car, and he found a real nice deal on a 2007 2 door rubicon. The problem (?) is he has a wife who's 3 months pregnant.

So how are jeeps with infants? Are the rear seats in these puppies car-seat compatible??? How miserable is it getting a baby into and out of the rear of a 2 door (Seems pretty miserable to me!)?

Will he ever get to go topless in his jeep (Heck, I burn after a few miles of driving topless.... I can' only imagine how a kid could get sunburns! And at what age do you feel it's appropriate for a child to have top-down driving?

If this is going to be the primary baby carring vehicle then I probably would not recommend the 2dr, but if the baby is only going to ride once in a while it is definetly doable. I got my my JK when my boys were 2.5 yrs and 6 months old, they are almost 2 & 4 now. I have gone from 1 full size forwad facing carseat and an infant carrier, to 2 fullsize car seats, one forward facing and one rear facing, to 2 forward facing carseats, and most of the time now to 1 forward facing carseat and a booster seat (for long trips or off roading we transfer the 4 yr old's fullsize careat from the van to the Jeep). Before the JK I had YJ that was much tighter in the back with an infant carrier and fullsize carseat.

The easiest way to get an infant carrier in is to push the passenger seat all the way forward with the seatback tilted towards the dash then load the baby in through the drivers side and go between the driver and passenger seat. Once the baby is in a fullsize rear facing carseat they pretty much have to go in through the back up and over the back seat. Once they are big/old enough to be forward facing it is not that big of a problem. At first with the infant carrier and the rear facing carseat it was a little bit of a hassle but once I figured out the best ways for getting them in and out I got used to it it really wasn't that big of a deal.

The seats in the JK have LATCH system. As far as storage goes a pack-n-play, umbrella stroller and diaper bag can all fit behind the seat at the same time.

I was topless most of the summer, my youngest is fine on short trips and the older one loves it, I always carry sunscreen and extra hats. When the top is off it is real easy to get them in, you just toss them in over the side.

Last edited by Jeepin Dad; 11-21-2008 at 05:00 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepin Dad
If this is going to be the primary baby carring vehicle then I probably would not recommend the 2dr, but if the baby is only going to ride once in a while it is definetly doable. I got my my JK when my boys were 2.5 yrs and 6 months old, they are almost 2 & 4 now. I have gone from 1 full size forwad facing carseat and an infant carrier, to 2 fullsize car seats, one forward facing and one rear facing, to 2 forward facing carseats, and most of the time now to 1 forward facing carseat and a booster seat (for long trips or off roading we transfer the 4 yr old's fullsize careat from the van to the Jeep). Before the JK I had YJ that was much tighter in the back with an infant carrier and fullsize carseat.

The easiest way to get an infant carrier in is to push the passenger seat all the way forward with the seatback tilted towards the dash then load the baby in through the drivers side and go between the driver and passenger seat. Once the baby is in a fullsize rear facing carseat they pretty much have to go in through the back up and over the back seat. Once they are big/old enough to be forward facing it is not that big of a problem. At first with the infant carrier and the rear facing carseat it was a little bit of a hassle but once I figured out the best ways for getting them in and out I got used to it it really wasn't that big of a deal.

The seats in the JK have LATCH system. As far as storage goes a pack-n-play, umbrella stroller and diaper bag can all fit behind the seat at the same time.

I was topless most of the summer, my youngest is fine on short trips and the older one loves it, I always carry sunscreen and extra hats. When the top is off it is real easy to get them in, you just toss them in over the side.

Yes, yes, Honey, but you never mention the fact that I refuse to buckle the kids into their seats when we take it - I make you do it while I stand there waiting... I do not like having to twist & turn and squeeze myself in order to get them safely in their seats. A 4 door would be 10,000 times easier - IMO. And there have been many times when we were out with the kids topless during the daytime and then ended up driving home with them freezing in the back at night because we only have a hardtop and it is at home.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

"And there have been many times when we were out with the kids topless during the daytime and then ended up driving home with them freezing in the back at night because we only have a hardtop and it is at home."

Excellent point. With the 4 door and the top off, you can roll up the passenger windows to protect them from cold air. Even on a perfect day sometimes the rear passengers just don't want to be blasted with air and with the 4 door they have the option to roll up the windows. With the 2 door the passengers are s.o.l. as they won't have the option to protect themselves from the wind. I wouldn't do that to my kids, especially on long trips. Who'd want wind slamming their faces for hours on end? With the 4 door you just roll up the windows, still have it as a convertible, and no one's bothered by the wind.

With a 4door and a trailer you'd be the king of the road. You can haul gobs of gear and 7 people. I can't wait to get my trailer... I'm a total outdoorsman and I hate doing things w/o lots of friends and/or family with me. Everyone LOVES piling in my Jeep for camping and biking trips.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Very good point Spartan99 - those windows would offer some protection. I can't tell you how many times we have headed out for a Jeep adventure at 10AM and not returned home until well after dark. We have a great day, but I feel like the worst Mother on earth when our boys are exposed to all that cold wind at night.

I would much rather have the 4 door than the 2 door we have. When we bought the JK, we were able to park both cars in the garage - and the 4 door wouldn't have fit with the stairs leading up to the house, and I already have my Honda minivan in the larger spot... But, since Jeepin Dad had to have the hard top off for most of the summer, and he couldn't park it outside because it might get dewed - and then the hard top took up the spot with the stairs - MY VAN WAS PARKED OUTSIDE ALL SUMMER.

AND LAST NIGHT HE PARKED HIS JEEP IN THE GARAGE TO "Change the oil" and this morning MY VAN WAS OUTSIDE COVERED IN SNOW - Argh
Old 11-21-2008, 11:03 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeep Mama
Very good point Spartan99 - those windows would offer some protection. I can't tell you how many times we have headed out for a Jeep adventure at 10AM and not returned home until well after dark. We have a great day, but I feel like the worst Mother on earth when our boys are exposed to all that cold wind at night.

I would much rather have the 4 door than the 2 door we have. When we bought the JK, we were able to park both cars in the garage - and the 4 door wouldn't have fit with the stairs leading up to the house, and I already have my Honda minivan in the larger spot... But, since Jeepin Dad had to have the hard top off for most of the summer, and he couldn't park it outside because it might get dewed - and then the hard top took up the spot with the stairs - MY VAN WAS PARKED OUTSIDE ALL SUMMER.

AND LAST NIGHT HE PARKED HIS JEEP IN THE GARAGE TO "Change the oil" and this morning MY VAN WAS OUTSIDE COVERED IN SNOW - Argh

Your point?

vans dont have feelings. they got squelched the day they found out they where minivans.

vans work much better at keeping the snow off the driveway.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 11-21-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:09 AM
JK Junkie

My girl is 2 now....Ive been just putting her though the open side window into her seat....no problems.
And by the time she is too big for that, she will know how to climb in on her own. She can do it now, but sometimes wants to play around instead of getting in her seat.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Tell me about it almighty. My kids and their friends will climb in the Jeep, on the Jeep, around the Jeep...I'm telling you to them it's a mobile junglegym. Too many times I've seen them standing on top of the roll bars! Scares the daylights out of me.

Hey Jeep Mama. I bet you could make something to put there to block the wind, since you don't have windows there in your 2 door. Just cut some type of material to fit in that spot and cut some holes in it to hold it in place by strapping it to the roll bars and door pillar. Tap Plastics probably has the same material as the soft top windows that you could buy and voila, no more guilty bad parent feelings. Some heavy clothing with those things in place and your kids would be fine.

Quick Reply: 2dr n kid(s)