Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2013 Wrangler Diesel Option?!

Old 10-23-2011, 11:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not happening

from what ive read on the net, JEEP / FIAT will NEVER put a deisel in an american wrangler. ...buy a truck
Old 10-23-2011, 09:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by WXman
The VM 2.8 was not pulled from the Liberty line-up because it was a "hard sale". Jeep actually had to increase production to meet demand. Those sold every single Liberty CRD they built, and most of them were bought as soon as they touched the lots, if not sooner. It was a HUGE success and to this day people will drive across country to get one.

Also, those engines were relatively bullet proof here in the States. The only issues with them came from the emmissions crap that the EPA forced Chrysler to add. The engines themselves were reliable and awesome. I owned two of them, and traded my last one for this JKU. It had 101,000 on the clock, didn't burn a drop of oil, didn't leak a drop of oil, and would pull 7,000 lbs. up a 5% grade at 60 MPH in overdrive. Those things are BEAST.

It's a known fact that if Jeep sold the CRD JK here in the States, people would flock to the dealerships like flies to cow sh*t. Jeep would have to hire people just to keep up with demand all over again.

If you want to know why it hasn't happened, it's 100% because of the government. The people at the EPA are too stupid to realize that a diesel using less fuel is actualy GOOD for the environment, not bad. The mileage offsets the small penalty in tailpipe output.
10000% agree with this post!
Old 11-18-2011, 01:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

You all know the US is getting the 3.0 VM Motori diesel in the Grand Cherokee for 2013 right? Sergio Marchionne has stated that many chrysler products will get this motor as well to meet ever tightening consumption requirements.

My aussie friends are loving this motor...over 400 lbft of torque, quick as a hemi with great fuel economy...makes me want another grand cherokee.

I was at the Sacramento auto show last Sunday chatting up a Jeep rep and she hinted(unsolicited) about an upcoming diesel wrangler...but I place little stock in what those people have to say.

I would be suprised to see a diesel since they are already getting it federal certification...but then again Jeep sells wranglers nearly as fast as they can build them so other than maybe inflating the sticker a bit there isnt much incentive to change.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok ok ok diesel blah blah blah. I hear you I really do.

I own my own company and all I will use is the cummins in the Ram. Our current truck is a 2007 DR3500 Dually 4x4 quad cab long bed and its a freaken beast. Will literally haul anything.

But............ 3 to 4 years ago having a diesel was awesome cheaper than gas plus yes much better mileage. Heck towing 7,000 lb trailer still getting 13 to 15mpg is awesome

But look at the fuel prices

Diesel here in South Carolina is $3.79 per gallon

Gasoline is $3.08 a gallon right now

35 gallon tank hurts like hell to fill up once a week or twice monthly

What about finding a jeep liberty diesel and found a swap ??

Ok ok side tracked sorry

Unless diesel levels back down near gasoline it just doesn't make financial sense ?

And I think Jeep is recognizing this as well

And even with all that said the new 3.6 has plenty of power so much more than before
Old 11-18-2011, 03:57 PM
JK Newbie

A lot of diesel talk but all the engines came from mercedes.I hope if they do come out with a new diesel engine for the JK or the Cheroke that it's going to be better than what we had!
Old 11-18-2011, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joe Boxer
All I see is Internet hearsay. Those whom I have spoken to iterate that it isn't happening for this model (JK) and they highly doubt it will become a production option during the model change in 2014.
Come on down to Aussie, and you can get your diesel Wrangler here!!!!!
With a good long snorkel, you might be able to drive it home
Old 11-18-2011, 05:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wrangler1035
A lot of diesel talk but all the engines came from mercedes.I hope if they do come out with a new diesel engine for the JK or the Cheroke that it's going to be better than what we had!
You might like to check on that - mine is a VM diesel, but the wrangler came from Toledo.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

Your right Aussie but out in north America all well almost all Jeep diesel the engines came from Mercedes.Which was a pretty decent engine,that's why I was saying that if they bring a new diesel engine to NA I hope it's going to be worth it.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chadc880
Ok ok ok diesel blah blah blah. I hear you I really do.

I own my own company and all I will use is the cummins in the Ram. Our current truck is a 2007 DR3500 Dually 4x4 quad cab long bed and its a freaken beast. Will literally haul anything.

But............ 3 to 4 years ago having a diesel was awesome cheaper than gas plus yes much better mileage. Heck towing 7,000 lb trailer still getting 13 to 15mpg is awesome

But look at the fuel prices

Diesel here in South Carolina is $3.79 per gallon

Gasoline is $3.08 a gallon right now

35 gallon tank hurts like hell to fill up once a week or twice monthly

What about finding a jeep liberty diesel and found a swap ??

Ok ok side tracked sorry

Unless diesel levels back down near gasoline it just doesn't make financial sense ?

And I think Jeep is recognizing this as well

And even with all that said the new 3.6 has plenty of power so much more than before
Put a gas engine in that same truck, and tell me it doesn't make financial sense.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Of you aren't towing, diesel does not make sense. Go do the math. My buddy has a welding rig on his truck. He ALWAYS drove a diesel. He did the math and after realizing he averages 40,000 miles a year and a new truck every 2-3 years, gas is way cheaper. He keeps an old diesel around for his triple axle triple slide, otherwise, gas is way to go.

For a heep, that is a toy, diesel would be fun though!!

Quick Reply: 2013 Wrangler Diesel Option?!