Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2013 Wrangler Diesel Option?!

Old 10-03-2011, 02:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny how tey can make a diesel for the European market but you can't bring it here because it does not meet American safety or clean air standards. And I thought those Europeans were supposed to be so far ahead of us on those issues!
Old 10-03-2011, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe Boxer
My sources are Chrysler/Jeep and Dana engineers/executives. Things do change, but the 2013 model year is already into part fitting and finalization (pre-production).
interesting... i'm not terribly surprised. have you heard anything about a factory jeep pickup?
Old 10-03-2011, 03:48 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by higgins14
interesting... i'm not terribly surprised. have you heard anything about a factory jeep pickup?
No, I have not. From a business stance, I think that it is more probable than a diesel option. If 2012 is as big of a year for Jeep as has been predicted, I can see a truck offering after the model change.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by awesomo
I was speaking someone about is this past weekend. And they were mentioning it as an option...

Now I'm afraid to make all these mods to my jeep...only to trade it in for a diesel in the next couple of years.
I would get a diesel too. Just pay off your current jeep then if the diesel comes out, have 2 jeeps. Might be an option for me.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe Boxer
No, I have not. From a business stance, I think that it is more probable than a diesel option. If 2012 is as big of a year for Jeep as has been predicted, I can see a truck offering after the model change.
i am curious about the next re-design. assuming that jeeps continue to get bigger as opposed to smaller, i would love a 4 dr jeep with a bed the size of a tacoma... the j8 conversion kit for the jku is not for me, i need the rear seat for people moving. my days of a two-seater are done for a while. i was very close to getting a brocoma, but in the end, i wanted to get back into the top-down jeep stuff more than i needed a truck. we will see what the future brings.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:18 PM
JK Freak

Live in the moment...enjoy what you got now!
Old 10-03-2011, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Me friends roommates uncles brother said the 2016 will have an optional hover mode.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKU 4x4
I would get a diesel too. Just pay off your current jeep then if the diesel comes out, have 2 jeeps. Might be an option for me.
I'm with you, have a toy Jeep and DD (toy) Jeep, let's face it there all toys. I should have my Jeep paid for in 2012. I'll wait and see if the four door diesel pick-up comes out in '14 and pick one up.
As long as they put the fold and tilt front seat back in I'll be happy.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shell
Me friends roommates uncles brother said the 2016 will have an optional hover mode.
I really want to wait for the time travel option/flux capacitor that is supposed to be on the 2017 model!
Old 10-04-2011, 07:11 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by higgins14
i am curious about the next re-design. assuming that jeeps continue to get bigger as opposed to smaller, i would love a 4 dr jeep with a bed the size of a tacoma... the j8 conversion kit for the jku is not for me, i need the rear seat for people moving. my days of a two-seater are done for a while. i was very close to getting a brocoma, but in the end, i wanted to get back into the top-down jeep stuff more than i needed a truck. we will see what the future brings.
It's an American vehicle (at least a vehicle sold in America) so there are a few certainties... one of which is that it will, inevitably, get bigger -- to fit our growing asses. When I park beside a TJ I am amazed at the size disparity between stock, similarly equipped, vehicles.

Now, for my very unpopular view:

When it comes to changing the current model offerings with a new/different engine and/or a truck option, you have to consider the two main decision drivers for the manufacturer; (1) Profitability, (2) Compliance. I don't think there are enough buyers for a diesel engine option to make it profitable for Chrysler -- I have no data, but I have been told that Chrysler/Jeep has done market research and this is why there is no diesel option (the VM motors -- particularly the 2.8L CRD -- are a hard sell to the lay consumer, that's why it was pulled from the Liberty lineup). If there was justifiable profitability in a diesel engine, you have to assume that there are compliance issues. The one thing that I can promise you in the present day... if there's even a slim profit margin, the Big Three will do it (if they can).

Regarding the truck. This is part what I have heard and part personal contention. The market it would fit in, especially when you assume the six-cylinder offerings amongst all manufacturers, is not saturated (in my mind). If it could be done at a similar price point to current JK/JKU... I think it will happen (I am thinking the truck configuration could be an option, around $3k, for two test years before becoming a fixture of the stable if it thrives). I say this because Jeep sales are projected to hit an all-time high this year and that type of year affords them the opportunity to make another big change to the lineup, like when the 4-door came to fore in 2007. That being said, I would NOT be surprised if Chrysler-proper didn't taint the Jeep name with an additional offering, enjoyed the crazy popularity and profits, and used those funds to sink into the struggling, Chrysler-branded garbage. After all, Eminem advertisements aren't cheap.

Quick Reply: 2013 Wrangler Diesel Option?!