Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2012+ YM Owners that have owned a previous year JK reviews, comments, thoughts so far

Old 12-31-2011, 06:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE="Wrangler_Jay"]Great response

Im looking to upgrade my 08 2dr. manual sahara JK to a 2012 4dr auto Sahara. My only gripe is that I read its not possible to get 4.10's on the new Sahara... only Rubicon which is a bit too pricey for me... so 3.73 it is then.

Wrangler_ Jay here is my 2 cents,hope this helps.

The sahara and the rubi are not too far off on price, I have found some rubis well equipped for $ 34-35k ( sticker) knock off $3k with good bargaining skills and your lower then most Sahara's. The jku is very roomy with plenty of room for a big dog. My 2 bulldogs fit in the back fine. I even put one in a crate while we travel. I fold down the rear seats and put a blanket in the floor gap so they don't break a leg. You will not regret it. The 4:10 ratio will be perfect with that power for 35s if you got a 6-speed. Cant vouch for the autos.

You can see from the photos my dog is good sized and he had plenty of room... Even with his little brother back there. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-189686409.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	256693   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-778838026.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	256694  

Last edited by NH-JK; 12-31-2011 at 06:37 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my new 4dr 2012 Rubicon. Sold my 07 Rubicon and can say it is a big improvement. I have the 2" mopar lift and 34" terra grapplers. Very smooth and could not believe how much smoother and better handling it was off road. My old jeep was an auto and I opted for the manual. So glad I did. 1st gear in 4 low was awesome compared to my old rubi. Had to still use brakes going down hill in 4 low but the new one I actually had to push on the gas it crawled so slow. Only have 200 miles so far so the engine is still braking in but so far I like it, especially on the freeway. BTW this is my 8th wrangler.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wrangler_Jay
@ BrettDez.... does the new pentastar have any "knocking" noises like the old 3.8L ?
Jay, I haven't noticed any abnormal sounds from the new engine. It actually has a little bit of a throatier sound too(not a huge difference). It sounds real nice.

How much improved really is the gas milage in real life numbers, Brett ?
To be honest, I am not seeing as big of a change as I was expecting. I live in a VERY hilly area with steep inclines everywhere on the highways and local roads and my daily commute is short distance and almost all hills. I am seeing roughly the same gas mileage with my 35s as I had on the old engine, but now with more power. However, I have seen some good numbers around 18-19mpg on the highway at 65 when I do get in a pretty flat region. Which is better than my 3.8L got in the flat region. However, my short daily commute and all hills has me around 14-15mpg normally.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robertjay
We just picked up our new '12 Unlimited Sport, Auto, 3.73's. We traded a '10 Unlimited Sport, same setup. The '10 didn't have the 24S pkg, or the factory trailer hitch, (not max tow), that the '12 does.

I can say after just driving the '12 for about 60 miles last night that the engine/tranny combo difference bring the Wrangler into the modern age.
Smoother, quieter, less harshness from the drive train, not to mention the power difference. And I sure like that huge oil cooler that's in front of the radiator. I assume??? it's a transmission oil cooler? My wife even said on the way home, "I like this". I was almost flabbergasted! I've never heard her say anything like that about any vehicle we've ever owned.

Also, in 28k miles of driving the 2010, never once did I hear a knock, tick or anything like that from the 3.8. Also, it didn't use a drop of oil between 6 to 7k mile oil changes. I only hope this new aluminum 3.6 can hold it's own in that dept. I saw in the manual, (yeah, I actually read it tonight!), Chrysler recommends 8k mile oil changes for the 3.6. I can believe it what with the size of the oil filter it uses.

^^^ Thanks for the post. Valuable input.

[QUOTE=NH-JK;2759532]
Great response

Im looking to upgrade my 08 2dr. manual sahara JK to a 2012 4dr auto Sahara. My only gripe is that I read its not possible to get 4.10's on the new Sahara... only Rubicon which is a bit too pricey for me... so 3.73 it is then.

Wrangler_ Jay here is my 2 cents,hope this helps.

The sahara and the rubi are not too far off on price, I have found some rubis well equipped for $ 34-35k ( sticker) knock off $3k with good bargaining skills and your lower then most Sahara's. The jku is very roomy with plenty of room for a big dog. My 2 bulldogs fit in the back fine. I even put one in a crate while we travel. I fold down the rear seats and put a blanket in the floor gap so they don't break a leg. You will not regret it. The 4:10 ratio will be perfect with that power for 35s if you got a 6-speed. Cant vouch for the autos.

You can see from the photos my dog is good sized and he had plenty of room... Even with his little brother back there. Good luck!

^^^^ Thanks for dog info and pics!!!! I will try for a Rubi. My only motivation for the Rubi are those stock 4.10's. I can put the 35's on and a 2.5" lift and just be done with it.

Originally Posted by Riptide
Ppl have said the same with the auto's, and that if it's staying stock, 3.73 is actually more suited for it.

^^^ Good to know with the new power lever what is and isn't working out.

Originally Posted by mker
Just got my new 4dr 2012 Rubicon. Sold my 07 Rubicon and can say it is a big improvement. I have the 2" mopar lift and 34" terra grapplers. Very smooth and could not believe how much smoother and better handling it was off road. My old jeep was an auto and I opted for the manual. So glad I did. 1st gear in 4 low was awesome compared to my old rubi. Had to still use brakes going down hill in 4 low but the new one I actually had to push on the gas it crawled so slow. Only have 200 miles so far so the engine is still braking in but so far I like it, especially on the freeway. BTW this is my 8th wrangler.
^^^ nice to hear you enjoying the new jeep. Im going opposite this time, lol, from manual to auto.

Originally Posted by BrettDez
Jay, I haven't noticed any abnormal sounds from the new engine. It actually has a little bit of a throatier sound too(not a huge difference). It sounds real nice.

To be honest, I am not seeing as big of a change as I was expecting. I live in a VERY hilly area with steep inclines everywhere on the highways and local roads and my daily commute is short distance and almost all hills. I am seeing roughly the same gas mileage with my 35s as I had on the old engine, but now with more power. However, I have seen some good numbers around 18-19mpg on the highway at 65 when I do get in a pretty flat region. Which is better than my 3.8L got in the flat region. However, my short daily commute and all hills has me around 14-15mpg normally.

^^^ I figured as much on the gas milage department that there wouldn't be a big difference but was hoping for a little gain. Good to hear on the new motor as well.

Great responses so far... Thanks for the valuable information as Im sure other members will appreciate the input from actual owners as well.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

any other owners wanna chime in!
Old 01-27-2012, 03:31 PM
JK Newbie

Traded my 2010 Stone White Rubi Unlimited Auto. for my 2012 exact same replacement. Couldn't be happier!!! Engine power is finally good, new transmission is better both in town and wheeling. New interior vs. the old is far and away superior. I can't underestimate how important the new engine works though, I can now cruise I-70 @ 10k feet+ and be going over 70mph. Before I would be stuck doing 40-50 and it was miserable. No gripes yet, 7000 on the odometer

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	270719Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(1).jpg
Views:	191
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	270720
Old 01-27-2012, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

Default Jeep History

First Jeep I showed interest in was in the early 60's. It was owned by the US Army - Lots of fun, but pretty bare-bones! This was in Germany,
3rd. Inf Div. Seat had all-of 1" padding, but it was a blast for a 18 year-old to drive.
Second Jeep owned was a 2007 Sahara - Rock Red - manual transmission and it did a great job. No major problems or complaints or issues.
Just took delivery of our 2012 Rubicon - Black Forest Green - Loaded except for the smokers group.
What a difference betwen the 07 and 12. Everything positive so far. Lots of creature-comforts that old-guy like!
Quality has improved and also what is being offered for options. Some great choices -
The only 2012 flame - Chrysler Fat Cats sitting in the Board Room on your great wisdom, Please add driver and passenger footwell lights. Yes it will cost you $3.00 - Add a $30.00 option and I order them.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jbuzz84
Traded my 2010 Stone White Rubi Unlimited Auto. for my 2012 exact same replacement. Couldn't be happier!!! Engine power is finally good, new transmission is better both in town and wheeling. New interior vs. the old is far and away superior. I can't underestimate how important the new engine works though, I can now cruise I-70 @ 10k feet+ and be going over 70mph. Before I would be stuck doing 40-50 and it was miserable. No gripes yet, 7000 on the odometer

Attachment 270719Attachment 270720
^^^ Your Jeep looks great. Good to hear about the motor and highway cruising. I just sold my 08' so Ill finally be getting a new one some time now later this year. Got really delayed as it took wayyy longer then I expected to sell. My only concern at this point is gas milage... just wish it was a little better but with the weight of the Jeep its difficult. I mean Im not wanting miracle MPG #s but a little more affordable. I guess thats the cost we pay though for owning fun vehicles!

Originally Posted by madelko
First Jeep I showed interest in was in the early 60's. It was owned by the US Army - Lots of fun, but pretty bare-bones! This was in Germany,
3rd. Inf Div. Seat had all-of 1" padding, but it was a blast for a 18 year-old to drive.
Second Jeep owned was a 2007 Sahara - Rock Red - manual transmission and it did a great job. No major problems or complaints or issues.
Just took delivery of our 2012 Rubicon - Black Forest Green - Loaded except for the smokers group.
What a difference betwen the 07 and 12. Everything positive so far. Lots of creature-comforts that old-guy like!
Quality has improved and also what is being offered for options. Some great choices -
The only 2012 flame - Chrysler Fat Cats sitting in the Board Room on your great wisdom, Please add driver and passenger footwell lights. Yes it will cost you $3.00 - Add a $30.00 option and I order them.

^^^ Thanks for the input.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I traded in my 2010 JKU sport for a 2012 sport and I am very happy

Never heard knocking from previous so cant speak to that. I also never had a lift or big tires so I never had major issues with power but the new one is night and day. I love the 2012. Interior upgrade are nice and I can drive aggressively in traffic. My only complaint is I have a Black Forest Green and I wish it was sunny more because I love the green in the sun but in shade sorta a dull black
Old 05-06-2012, 09:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

The difference in interior quality in 2011+ and the 2010 and older is simply... uncomparable. I feel the exact same way about the new auto/trans combo. It's like driving a completely different vehicle. I drove the various year models many times before finally getting my 2012, and it is like night and day. I can't comment on the reliability of the older models versus the new, but I have a suspicion that the old 3.8 is not as unreliable as the internet may have you believe. Everyone I know personally with a wrangler has had zero large/costly issues, regardless of year.

That said, my 2012 is doing grand. I've put 3k on in less then a month, which is a lot of driving for me, and I've had zero reliability complaints or issues. Not a drop of water through the hard top after monsoon style rains, OR a touchless car wash, despite having removed/reinstalled the top and panels often. This seemed to be the most active complaint I had heard for all model years, and I was pretty much resigned to the fact that my jeep would leak. Very pleased.

My Rubi has the 4.10s and still blows the doors off the 3.8s out there. It's no rocket, and my MPG is a steady 16... but I didn't buy it for either of those things, and day to day driving is still comfortable and more than tolerable.

I did notice after an accidental over-the-hood water crossing (oops ) that some weather stripping under the hood was loose/falling off its mount in one section... but I don't know if that was a QC issue or due to the crossing. Just popped it back on, no fuss.

Also a couple of little things different with the 2012: Mine came with 4 Jeep grab handles, 2 Jeep coat hanger straps, lock nuts on all 5 rims, and the lock nut bit. Would have been even better if it came with a damn #40 torx, but no dice.

Quick Reply: 2012+ YM Owners that have owned a previous year JK reviews, comments, thoughts so far