Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2012+ YM Owners that have owned a previous year JK reviews, comments, thoughts so far

Old 12-30-2011, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012+ YM Owners that have owned a previous year JK reviews, comments, thoughts so far

So Im wondering if this idea will catch but I think it would be nice to hear from 2012+ YM owners with the new motor and AT tranny chime in perhaps say a few words on their ownership experience so far with the newer Jeep. It would be nice to hear comparison feedback to the older JK's so that the many of us looking to upgrade or buy soon can some REAL feedback directly from JK owners that have owned a past year model JK and now the new one. I think a feedback thread like this would be tremendously helpful for people on the fence or looking to soon get a new Jeep.

The big two ones Im wondering is has the overall quality of the Jeep on these newer 2012+ improved and has the annoying engine knock gone away for the new 3.6L Pentastar that the old 3.8L had.

Maybe post a pic of your new Jeep with your thoughts!

Go!
Old 12-30-2011, 01:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread idea!

I'm getting a new JK next year to replace my '09 & would be very interested in people's thoughts. What I'd be very interested to know in addition to the OP's suggestions is how does the new Pentastar motor compare with the old 3.8L in terms of different transmission and diff gearing options, as we all know the JK can feel like a completely different beast depending of what transmission and diff combinations are fitted.

I know it's chalk 'n cheese in terms of the new 5-spd auto in Sport/Sahara trim compared to the old 4-spd (the old auto trans with the very long OD combined with tall 3.73 diff gearing in the Unlimiteds seemed to be responsible for the illusion that the 3.8L was far more underpowered and sluggish than it actually was when mated up to the 6-speed with shorter diff ratios), but how about with the 6-speed manual box; is the difference in performance and driveability between the two motors as great? And with the different power & torque outputs, what seem to be the optimum diff ratios for this new motor? And how about with the optional 4.10 diff gearing in both manual & auto transmissions; is this now too low with the stock 32" Rubi tyre?

Looking forward to hear everyone's replies!

Last edited by JKlad; 12-30-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:53 PM
JK Newbie

I just traded in my 6 month old 2011 rubicon for a 2012. The main reason for the switch was to get a four door. The figured the new engine was just a bonus. Well it was more than a bonus. The difference is huge. I live in a hilly area and was constantly taking my 2011 out of overdrive the 2012 just cruises. I love it.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jtownrubicon
I just traded in my 6 month old 2011 rubicon for a 2012. The main reason for the switch was to get a four door. The figured the new engine was just a bonus. Well it was more than a bonus. The difference is huge. I live in a hilly area and was constantly taking my 2011 out of overdrive the 2012 just cruises. I love it.

Thats great to hear!
Old 12-30-2011, 02:59 PM
JK Jedi Master

There really is not much comparison. I traded my '07 for a '12. Couldn't be happier with the improved engine and I like all the little nice stuff on the interior also.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:33 PM
JK Newbie

We traded our '10 jku for a '12 jku and like others have said, the engine in the '12 is so much nicer. I know it's a "jeep" but I dig the new creature comforts anyway.

Call me superficial, but here's what I like the most about the 12:

- Engine
- smoother ride (smoother, tighter than the '10 ever was)
- Updated Interior
- 110 plug
- steering wheel controls
- tailgate stays open <sarcasm>Brilliant idea!</sarcasm>
- newer, slightly improved hard top
- Engine
Old 12-30-2011, 04:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 2010 Jku sport with 3:73 gears, hard top and a 6-speed. The tires were the same size as the rubicon on 17 inch rims. I had no issues with my 2010, no leaks, no recall issues never any check engine lights.. It was actually a perfect operating jeep. Now the 3.8 did leave a lot to be desired. The 6-speed shifted ok it was a little notchy as they all are. But other than the lack of power I had absolutely no complaints, if I was not closing on a house I would never have sold it.
That being said, I will be getting another jeep after closing. I have been driving the 3.6 with 6-speed and 4:10 gears. It IS NIGHT and DAY! It much faster getting up to speed. The interior is quieter, the seats are softer with more padding, the arm rest too. I do not like the two tone dash board tan/black combo and I dis like the chrome accents. The 6-speed is still notchy. I will be getting a 12 or 13 JKU. If you did not like your 11 or older give the 12 a try it will be very different. I can't vouch for any Autos.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't have a new transmission as I drive real Jeeps, with a Manual. (just kidding you auto guys!! ).

However, I did the JK transition.

Old Jeep: 2007 Wrangler Rubicon 2-Dr, 4.88 Gears, Manual, 35x12.5 Mud Terrains, 3.5" of lift, RiverRaider Snorkel

New Jeep: 2012 Wrangler Rubicon 4-Dr, 4.10 Gears, Manual, 35x12.5 Mud terrains, 3.5" of lift, RiverRaider Snorkel

My dealership allowed Northridge 4x4 to swap all my modifications(lift, tires, bumpers, etc. etc.) from my old Jeep to my new Jeep. So I literally have the EXACT same setup as my old JK on my new JK since the manual transmissions didn't change. Only real differences are the new engine, new interior, and it's now a 4-door.

I can say with a big grin, that my new 2012 JK with the Pentastar is MUCH better than my 2007. My '12 has the stock 4.10 gears and is noticeably much better to drive around than my '07 was and the '07 was regeared to 4.88!!! I absolutely love the new interior. At first I was worried about the new interior and "niceties" but now I can't live without it! I've had her on the trail 3 times since I got her, hitting the trail again tomorrow.

Since my two Jeeps are nearly identical, I can answer any comparison questions pretty well.

Ask away!

Old Jeep:

New Jeep:

Last edited by BrettDez; 12-30-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great responses so far. Exactly the kind of feedback I was looking to get. REAL feedback from REAL owners.

@ BrettDez.... does the new pentastar have any "knocking" noises like the old 3.8L ? How much improved really is the gas milage in real life numbers, Brett ?

Im looking to upgrade my 08 2dr. manual sahara JK to a 2012 4dr auto Sahara. My only gripe is that I read its not possible to get 4.10's on the new Sahara... only Rubicon which is a bit too pricey for me... so 3.73 it is then.

I can honestly say aside from the shoddy quality in places the Jeep is a great summer and winter vehicle and the 4 door has tons of space. Im likely going to get a dog this year and I think would also be a great vehicle for a big dog (Bernese Mountain Dog or Labrador) to ride along in.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:25 AM
JK Newbie

We just picked up our new '12 Unlimited Sport, Auto, 3.73's. We traded a '10 Unlimited Sport, same setup. The '10 didn't have the 24S pkg, or the factory trailer hitch, (not max tow), that the '12 does.

I can say after just driving the '12 for about 60 miles last night that the engine/tranny combo difference bring the Wrangler into the modern age.
Smoother, quieter, less harshness from the drive train, not to mention the power difference. And I sure like that huge oil cooler that's in front of the radiator. I assume??? it's a transmission oil cooler? My wife even said on the way home, "I like this". I was almost flabbergasted! I've never heard her say anything like that about any vehicle we've ever owned.

Also, in 28k miles of driving the 2010, never once did I hear a knock, tick or anything like that from the 3.8. Also, it didn't use a drop of oil between 6 to 7k mile oil changes. I only hope this new aluminum 3.6 can hold it's own in that dept. I saw in the manual, (yeah, I actually read it tonight!), Chrysler recommends 8k mile oil changes for the 3.6. I can believe it what with the size of the oil filter it uses.

Quick Reply: 2012+ YM Owners that have owned a previous year JK reviews, comments, thoughts so far