Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2012 Unlimited Lease

Old 10-21-2011, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Unlimited Lease

Just got back from dealership and wanted to see if this sounds right. Was looking at a 2012 JKU Sport. Sales price with TL discount was 29,xxx, residual was 19,xxx, and MF was 5.x (can't quite remember). With $2500 due at signing it ended up being 42x.xx per month. Sorry dont have the exact figures.

This is my first lease so a little cautious of the process and this sounded a little high I thought. Usually, finance. They also said that insurance for a leased car is usually higher than a finance car, all else equal. Is this true? Will talk with agent tomorrow.

Thanks for the input.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm financing mine for 430 a month with 5000 down. $31000
Old 10-22-2011, 03:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Given the extremely high resale values on these Jeeps, you would think that the lease rates would be much better. The Wrangler lease programs are usually terrible and rarely does it make sense to lease one. With today's low interest rates, a 36 month lease is going to cost as much per month as a 60 month finance deal. Might as well just buy it. In your example, a $30k loan at 2.49% (check PenFed) isn't much more than $500/month.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:56 PM
JK Super Freak

don't lease the wrangler.. you can be paying almost the same to own it and have the freedom to do whatever you want with it. you can "pretend" you leased it and sell it in 3 years for more than you owe because these things do not depreciate! look at the price of the 08's right now, barely depreciated but if you leased it you would have payed at least 15k and had nothing to show for it when you had to turn it in. jk my
Old 10-23-2011, 05:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jkrubirescue
Just got back from dealership and wanted to see if this sounds right. Was looking at a 2012 JKU Sport. Sales price with TL discount was 29,xxx, residual was 19,xxx, and MF was 5.x (can't quite remember). With $2500 due at signing it ended up being 42x.xx per month. Sorry dont have the exact figures.

This is my first lease so a little cautious of the process and this sounded a little high I thought. Usually, finance. They also said that insurance for a leased car is usually higher than a finance car, all else equal. Is this true? Will talk with agent tomorrow.

Thanks for the input.
I was quoted a similar price for a lease. Walk away. Went to another dealer who ended up getting me into a sahara for the same amount down and $50 less a month (same terms)

As far as insurance, every state is different. I went from a 97' TJ to a '12 JKU Sahara...my insurance went from 28/month full coverage to 31/month. No claims/tickets for 7+ years
Old 10-23-2011, 05:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKjeepguy
Excuse my ignorance / stupid question but does that mean you pay $31 per month insurance? I have to be wrong, right?
31 bucks for my jeep (I'm 31 years old, home owner) and I also have a saturn vue for my wife...her insurance is about 23/month.

Full coverage, 500 deductible. Also been with Progressive Insurance since I was 18.

I guess I'm lucky...heard some horror stories from folks in other states.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:24 PM
JK Freak

I would think that if you wheel your Jeep more than once they will kill you st turn in time...I bought mine, but have heard mechanics and other Chrysler reps talk about "collision damage" under my JK....I'm like yeah...those are amid plates...they're supposed to do that!
Old 10-23-2011, 10:15 PM
DJV
JK Newbie

I lease a lot of cars...and was annoyed when I couldn't get the numbers to work on a jk lease. They don't ever have good lease programs. The residual on the wrangler is so much higher than they will factor in, so you're payments are higher. Buying is almost a push. And why $2500? It's a lease. Everything should be amortized across the monthly. With interest low, keep the cash and use it for your payments for the next 6 months. Lastly, pay close attention to the money factor. (an approximation cheat is mf x 2400 = interest rate) But take a good hard look at buying. Leasing is to keep payments low and to have an exit strategy in place...neither the payments being lower or a future problem of getting out of your vehicle apply here.

Quick Reply: 2012 Unlimited Lease