Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2012 Towing capacity?

Old 11-11-2011, 04:48 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by ranjr
It's all in who approves it! You need the right tool for the job and a JK is not the tool to tow more than 3,500lbs. Doesn't matter what they allow in Europe if you're wanting to tow here. If you don't like it, buy a different vehicle or move to Europe.
My feelings exactly. I'm a firm believer in not exceeding the manufacturer's rated capacity.
I was commenting that the crossmember isn't the limiting factor, like so many people have mistakenly thought in the past.

No thanks on the move to Europe. Things are pretty good right here in Maine.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you know the thickness of the crossmember? I'd bet a 1/4" thick hitch that bolted directly to both frame rails would increase the rating here.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:00 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by ranjr
Do you know the thickness of the crossmember? I'd bet a 1/4" thick hitch that bolted directly to both frame rails would increase the rating here.
Nothing an owner can do will increase the rating. It would have to be approved and up-rated by the vehicle manufacturer.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx

Nothing an owner can do will increase the rating. It would have to be approved and up-rated by the vehicle manufacturer.
I understand that. I'm simply stating that the crossmember is the limiting factor for the rating and what it would take to be approved to tow more if available from the manufacturer. We're lucky if the crossmember is even 1/8" thick.

Quick Reply: 2012 Towing capacity?