Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2012 Rubicon Price

Old 03-01-2012, 09:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 23CSP
Destination fees are included in the price both invoice and MSRP.
Title fees are dictated by the state and each state is different.
Tax rates are different in each state.
Taxable amount depends on trade-in or not. (My 2010 Challenger was worth more than my 2012 Rubicon, so I didn't pay a dime in sales taxes).

He was asking on a forum not specific to a certain state about a price for a 2012 Unlimited Rubicon with a hardtop. All the other stuff is paid to the state and is not negotiable.

I have seen doc fees as high as 600 bucks. But most in AZ and now in Ca are between 200-400 dollars. Add ons such as extended warranties, special coats(spray to help clean/protect) for the vehicle can all add to the otd costs and profit for the dealer. Not all states give you tax breaks with trades. In CA it does not matter what the value of the trade in is, you will still have to pay the entire sales tax. CA also pays sales tax on used private party vehicle sales, double taxation anyone???
Old 03-02-2012, 05:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chunk85
i work at a dealership in the tn\va area.....ive sold many a jeep at invoice or pretty close to it...not all car salesman are complete
dicks, the good majority are just trying to make an honest living...at least thats how it is where i am at....we dont really like talking price over the phone simply because there is so much that goes into it once it is all said and done and so many different options and packages...it just kinda erks me when i see so much bashing of car dealers on here...there are good ones out there that drive and enjoy jeeps just as much as the next guy, you just have to find the right person....at least from my point of view, if you like the salesman and the salesman likes you chances are you are gonna be taken care of...if you approach the situation and are an ass right off the bat then you are gonna have a bad buying experience regardless..we have to make a profit, profit is not a bad word but the good majority of the time we are making hold back and a dock fee and thats it....i think that is kinda fair for a 25-35k purchase....most new car units sold are more of a volume than a profit type of thing, used inventory is where most of the profit comes from...
When I go to dealerships. It is not the salesman that is the horrible experience, its usually the finance guy who flat out tries to distort the truth to get you to buy things you don't need or want.

As far as profit, the trade-in value is also a thorn in the side. Who really cares about how close the vehicle sale price is to invoice when they take advantage of you on a trade in?

This type of behavior has required consumers to be as educated as possible.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:54 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by thedrod
This type of behavior has required consumers to be as educated as possible.
Consumers should be as educated as possible before spending exorbitant amounts of money on things, such as a home or automobile.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

i dotn think everyone thinks every salesguy is a dick, else noone would ever buy a car. But i can tell you just this week the dichotomy between dealerships is why i drove 75 miles to buy mine. One guy low balled my trade by 3 grand, then said the other guy was lying, then said he couldnt do invoice, etc. even when i told him about treadlightly. also, he didnt want to order. it was so bad, i was somewhat amazed.

the guy i bought from gave em a fiar price on trade, worked out order over email and phone, honored treadlightly, commented on what a good deal treadlightly was in context of deal otherwise, etc.

no brainer.

im tempted to email the other guy the transaction materials on the guy i bought from. especially since he insisted, "Oh, theyre just saying that to get you up there and then turn the deal around on you." Like Im an idiot. Its truly insulting.

Its not that vehicles arent expensive. they are. we know that. we also know how things get done. When folks treat buyers poorly, they remember it. I will never go that dealer again. And will advise my friends of the same. Also, at a different time they were pretty consdescending to my wife, who happens to have a PhD and two businesses. They asked her if it was ok with her husband. Bad call, boys. She walked out too.

Frankly, id love to contact the store owner and advise him of what shenanigans he has going on at his dealership.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chunk85
i work at a dealership in the tn\va area.....ive sold many a jeep at invoice or pretty close to it...not all car salesman are complete
dicks, the good majority are just trying to make an honest living...at least thats how it is where i am at....we dont really like talking price over the phone simply because there is so much that goes into it once it is all said and done and so many different options and packages...it just kinda erks me when i see so much bashing of car dealers on here...there are good ones out there that drive and enjoy jeeps just as much as the next guy, you just have to find the right person....at least from my point of view, if you like the salesman and the salesman likes you chances are you are gonna be taken care of...if you approach the situation and are an ass right off the bat then you are gonna have a bad buying experience regardless..we have to make a profit, profit is not a bad word but the good majority of the time we are making hold back and a dock fee and thats it....i think that is kinda fair for a 25-35k purchase....most new car units sold are more of a volume than a profit type of thing, used inventory is where most of the profit comes from...
I don't mean to bash the car sales guys. I have dealt with many; buying cars anywhere from $8k to $70k - some good, some not so good. There is one car dealer in Illinois (Jennings Chevy/VW) where I have been able to make a deal over the phone in about 15 minutes and then just come in and sign the papers. Now that is awesome!! Wish they sold Jeeps. What frustrates me is the "options and package BS" they shoot you. I give them a very specific inventory number from their website that matches another dealers vehicle spot on (based on the Window Sticker that you can view online). I get the "we can beat any price by $200 garbage. My thought is this. If you truely are going to give your best price, then do it and I will know you have the lowest price. Then I can arrive and we can get the deal done quickly. I know trades are another factor, but let's deal one part of the transaction at a time.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:06 PM
JK Newbie

I paid 33K for mine. I picked up some options. hard top, leather seats, ect.

Quick Reply: 2012 Rubicon Price