Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2012 Pentastar - not the torque we had hoped for....

Old 11-25-2010, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure there will be aftermarket mods and tunes that will make it a player. Look at what some of the diesel pickups are getting for power after they're modded, it's a whole heck of a lot more than putting a superchip and exhaust on a 3.8 and pretending it made a difference.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoopa70
I'm sure there will be aftermarket mods and tunes that will make it a player. Look at what some of the diesel pickups are getting for power after they're modded, it's a whole heck of a lot more than putting a superchip and exhaust on a 3.8 and pretending it made a difference.
The reason why diesels can gain so much in power compared to spark-ignited (gasoline) engines is because of the different fuel delivery techniques. Direct-injection diesel engines run -extremely- lean when considering the overall in-cylinder stoichiometry. The aftermarket chips basically take advantage of the large amount of unused oxygen left over inside the cylinder to inject a LOT more fuel. The trade-off with injecting all that extra fuel to make all the extra power when chipping a DI diesel is that the extra fuel doesn't have time to completely mix with all the extra leftover oxygen in the cylinder (compared to the stock tune) and the result is LOTS of soot of diesel particulate. This is why when you see those highly modded diesels they usually leave huge clouds of black smoke when they get on the throttle.

If the pentastar eventually gets direct injection, unless there is forced induction in combination with the direct injection, you will not gain ANY power compared to the non-DI version of the pentastar. The reason is that any non-DI gasoline engine is already running as close to a nearly stoichiometric ratio as possible (to not only run properly but because it maximizes power by using all of the available oxygen in the cylinder AND it allows the three-way catalytic converters required for emissions laws to function properly).

Even if the pentastar gets forced induction I would not chip it as a direct-injection diesel and a direct-injection gasoline engine are VERY different animals. The direct injection diesel engines ignite the fuel based on ONLY the heat in the cylinder (basically as soon as the diesel fuel is heated to the temperatures at TDC in the cylinder and makes contact with oxygen, the diesel fuel auto-ignites). The overall stoichiometry of a direct-injected gasoline engine is extremely lean just like a diesel (allowing better fuel economy than the non-DI version of the same engine) but a direct-injection gasoline engine still requires a spark plug to ignite the fuel. In order to reliably ignite the direct-injected gasoline spray however, the spark plug placement is EXTREMELY important because it has to be far enough away from the end of the injector to allow oxygen to mix with the fuel before the ignition source (to allow ignition to occur reliably) BUT it must also be close enough that the fuel spray that it is not locally too lean at the spark plug (that would not allow ignition to occur reliably). If you change the amount of injected fuel into a direct-injected gasoline engine with forced induction you might be able to increase the power output of the engine with a chip, but you also change the geometry of the fuel spray in the cylinder. This in turn would compromise the reliability of ignition along with a bunch of other unwanted side-effects (such as fuel wetting the cylinder walls and being washed down into the engine oil, etc).

Last edited by tpm152; 11-25-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:02 PM
JK Super Freak

So sick of hearing about bugs in the new engine. By the time the JK comes out, the engine will have been in the GC for a year.
People overthink and over justify shit on the internet.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:08 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by shredX
So sick of hearing about bugs in the new engine. By the time the JK comes out, the engine will have been in the GC for a year.
People overthink and over justify shit on the internet.
All new engines have bugs that need to be worked out, specially ones made by Fiasco/Crapsler. All you who buy the 1st year models can be the guinea pigs for the rest of us. Im sticking with my 3.8 its tried and true and easy to work on.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by lvnlife86
Agreed, have had a WRX and plan on getting another one and that little 2.5l 4cyl turbo would spank most V8s right out of the box. O yea and with 300+ hp they get between 20-25 mpg city
Yeah so did I and I loved it. You must have had a newer one, mine was an older one and the turbo lag sucked and carrying a load in the mountains going up a rocky road I got hung up and couldn't go any further because of the lag and lack of low end torque. literally couldn't get over a hump up on Yankee Boy Pass and had to back down while pulling a small trailer.

Want the diesel!
Old 11-27-2010, 10:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hi from Sweden in Europe.

Many are talking about diesels engine in a wrangler but a talked to two dealers in Sweden and the say that in Sweden a diesel wrangler is about 11000 USD more than the petrol wrangler.

Addition to that we have a diesel tax that cost about 1000 dollar a year.

it maybe nice with diesel but in Sweden I do not think its a wice choice concidering the extrem cost.

In US a wrangler sport petrol 2 door cost about 22 000 dollars.

In Germany a Wrangler sport diesel 2 door cost about 37 374 USD and a petrol cost about 35 000 USD, not so big difference compared to Sweden prices, much higher diesel engine costs.

http://www3.jeep.de/pdf/specs/jeep_w...und_preise.pdf

Anyway, I have the Suzuki Jimny a really good 4wd, cost about half price and takes about half gazoline compared to the wrangler but is a old model and Suzuki do not seem to want to refine this excellent car so I will probably buy a wrangler with the pentastar. The Jimny I have is from 2001 and lacks ESP, antispin etc and will easely flip over so they do not sell it anymore in Sweden. It have the same 4WD system as wrangler but no traction control etc. Soon I need a new 4wd and 2 door car.

Can I afford a wrangler in Europe? the taxes would probably be very high because the engine is so big, My Jimny is only a 1.3 liter engine and can go almost anyware because it is so light.

The cost for the Jimny was about 1770 USD in Sweden, but if it would be sold in US the cost would probably be around 1300 USD.

I am a nature photographer and need 4WD and ground clearance, my photos

http://www.pbase.com/omar_brannstrom

Jimny and a wrangler

http://data.motor-talk.de/data/galle...ny-2-67220.jpg

Here is a non stock Jimny in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUBMX_SlKVM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5EeUsyEJJc&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5e899eOSNs&feature=fvst

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL4mo...eature=related

Best regards from Sweden

Omar Brännström

Last edited by Omar Brannstrom; 11-27-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EarlyJk
All new engines have bugs that need to be worked out, specially ones made by Fiasco/Crapsler. All you who buy the 1st year models can be the guinea pigs for the rest of us. Im sticking with my 3.8 its tried and true and easy to work on.
I think that you missed his point about it not being a 1st year engine. Reread his post.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:41 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rick in Colorado

I think that you missed his point about it not being a 1st year engine. Reread his post.
No i knew what he meant. I was just trying to state the fact that no matter how much testing is done there will be bugs to work out. A full year in a GC is not enough to covince me of a engine's reliability. Its a new partnership for these 2 companies so there will be issues. For me ill wait till they drop a tried an true hemi in the wrangler before i buy a new one.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cbcwrangler
Time to learn the NEW golden rule:

"There is no replacement for displacement - except for modern turbo and direct injection a la Ford Ecoboost or modern turbodiesel technology"

I like the new rule better..
very true... my wifes 2.5 l turbo subaru forester out performs my jeep on multiple levels. except for a few on offroad capability.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:31 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The 5 speed automatic would probably make a big difference with the Wrangler 3.8, too.
Digging up an old thread here.

Undoubtedly, the 5 speed auto would make a huge difference on the 3.8l, making it on par with the manual transmission. Same with the higher stall speed converter.

Definitely some fancy engineering footwork to hit above 90% peak torque at 2,000 rpm. The downside is the dramatic fall off under 2k. While differential gear sets aren't going to need to be as steep for on road driving, my guess is we'll be seeing a lot more talk about transfer case upgrades for off-road use.

Hopefully we get a Rubicrawler type product soon for the new auto transmissions, as I believe it would make a very nice combination with the auto transmission, stock 4.10s and up to 35" tires.

Quick Reply: 2012 Pentastar - not the torque we had hoped for....