Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2012 Pentastar - not the torque we had hoped for....

Old 11-15-2010, 01:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no surprises here probably not worth the wait

That's too bad to hear, I too had high hopes for this motor. Not only does it appear that the new motor may underwhelm us but the buyers of 2012 JK's will not only have to live with the new "SUV" interior but also an exterior that could be potentially as disappointing as the new engine and interior are.

2010 the last great year of the JK...still has a Jeep interior and exterior and a motor that is very likely comparable to the upcoming 3.6.

I suspect that 2012 JK's will look very different I just hope they still are recognizable as a true Jeep and not something that is just another SUV. It's going to be interesting over the next 8 months or so as the news leaks out about the '12.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by B.S.
That's too bad to hear, I too had high hopes for this motor. Not only does it appear that the new motor may underwhelm us but the buyers of 2012 JK's will not only have to live with the new "SUV" interior but also an exterior that could be potentially as disappointing as the new engine and interior are.

2010 the last great year of the JK...still has a Jeep interior and exterior and a motor that is very likely comparable to the upcoming 3.6.

I suspect that 2012 JK's will look very different I just hope they still are recognizable as a true Jeep and not something that is just another SUV. It's going to be interesting over the next 8 months or so as the news leaks out about the '12.
I wouldn't say that the 280hp engine is a total disappointment. It's too bad that Chrsyler can't make 280hp feel like 280hp, but at least we can. All those little mods that add a certain percentage of power will add a percentage based on 280hp, which means the gains will be bigger. Also, the right gearing will wake that thing up big time. A better exhaust, a better chip, etc, will put that engine in the 300's no problem. Still though, I think they again didn't address the real power issue, which is the transmission.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spartan99
I wouldn't say that the 280hp engine is a total disappointment. It's too bad that Chrsyler can't make 280hp feel like 280hp, but at least we can. All those little mods that add a certain percentage of power will add a percentage based on 280hp, which means the gains will be bigger. Also, the right gearing will wake that thing up big time. A better exhaust, a better chip, etc, will put that engine in the 300's no problem. Still though, I think they again didn't address the real power issue, which is the transmission.
What transmission problem? You mean like in the autos that overheat in 2wd on gravel road hills?
Old 11-15-2010, 01:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EarlyJk
X2. You will get the same engine as the one already tested. Thats why ill stay with my 3.8, been around for a long time, easy to work on. New engines = New troubles
Amen brother,....Amen. I like my simple and proven engine as well.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Corrected my post I misread something.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Unless it's a pushrod engine it's not gonna make good low RPM torque.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cbcwrangler
Time to learn the NEW golden rule:

"There is no replacement for displacement - except for modern turbo and direct injection a la Ford Ecoboost or modern turbodiesel technology"

I like the new rule better..
Agreed, have had a WRX and plan on getting another one and that little 2.5l 4cyl turbo would spank most V8s right out of the box. O yea and with 300+ hp they get between 20-25 mpg city
Old 11-15-2010, 03:44 PM
JK Newbie

just a thought , doesn't chrysler heve a high out put 4.0 that they use in the nitro,not really sure about torque ant hp but it has more displacement that 3.8 and 3.6.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

The Durango V6 has a 3.06 rear end, a 410 the rubicon has would make a big difference I would think.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dmhines
Unless it's a pushrod engine it's not gonna make good low RPM torque.
Hmm... I haven't heard that argument before. I don't think that's right. All the pushrod does is tell the cam when to open and close the valves. It's the valves' actions that affect the torque output; the pushrod is just the messenger. So, I'm going to say that this is not correct. And, pushrods do their jobs inefficiently, so I'll so far as to say that a pushrod engine creates less torque than the more advanced (pushrodless) engine. There was evidence of this years ago, such as the Ford 427 SOHC engine. Eliminating the pushrod made a world of difference.

Quick Reply: 2012 Pentastar - not the torque we had hoped for....