Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2012 Likes and Dislikes?

Old 01-02-2012, 07:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great fun till those $500 payments go out.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If mine ever shows up, I'll have something constructive to add. Great snow pic- could have used some of that in CO this week....
Old 01-02-2012, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Loving it. Only two dislikes to date.

the sound system. I have the infinity system and frankly it's a POS. If your shopping try stay away from adding one or have the dealer discount/replace to bone stock. Put the money into your own choice of an aftermarket system.

the doors. they don't close well. i added the door sill guards and now it's even more pronounced. really have to give the doors a good tug to close them.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:24 AM
JK Newbie

I have a 2008, 6-speed 2-door X , 3.21 gear. Here's my take on the 2012's:

LIKE: new engine, black interior, better soft top, improved ride and soundproofing

DISLIKE: new dash and steering wheel, no more lifetime powertrain warranty, no more Detonator Yellow

BOTTOM LINE: No real complaints with my 2008, and with only 10,000 miles on it I won't be abandoning my powertrain and bumper-to-bumper Chrysler warranties any time soon. But if my 2008 is totaled or stolen I'll be all over a 2012 in a heartbeat. (I do love that Crush color!)
Old 01-03-2012, 10:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just skimmed this thread so I don't know what the controversy is about the gas mileage is... My '12 is getting a little over 15mpg putting around the city and I got a little over 20mpg on the highway. I doubt that's any better than the 3.8 but even if its worse than the 3.8 I doubt that would be a deal breaker for anyone. I didn't buy the Jeep for good gas mileage, my old car got about 17 city/ 25 highway but it required premium fuel so I am pretty close to the same cost per mile.

I actually like the Infinity sound system but I am not that picky about the sound. It is better than the stock system I had in my 350z. I also have the Uconnect which I really like since it gives me the USB port in the center compartment where I can charge my iPod and play tracks off the head unit. The BlueTooth handsfree phone feature is pretty nice too since they might change the laws pretty soon and make everyone go to handsfree. At first I didn't really want those options but the Jeep I liked on the lot had them and now that I have used them I am really glad I paid extra for them.

I also got the 3.73 gears which I am glad I went ahead and got that b/c regearing sounds like a pain...
Old 01-03-2012, 04:50 PM
JK Newbie

I just recently got my first Jeep, a 2012 Sahara Unlimited, Auto. I'm coming from a manual 1997 M3 sedan and my only offroad experience has been rallycross in AWD turbo cars, if this helps explain my viewpoint at all. Also, many of these are Jeep-centric rather than 2012-centric. The dislikes are also really reaching.

-Ground clearance : **I can't say offroad ability because I haven't had the chance yet.
-Auto transmission : **For an auto it's not really too bad. It doesn't hunt too much and I like that it holds gears in manual mode. Plus, I really don't see a need for a manual in this vehicle since I'm not pressing the brakes hard as I enter corners and heel-toeing to revmatch downshifts.
-I can get an ORV beach pass to several beaches on the cape to drive out to secluded spots and sit around into the night with a fire
-Storage space
-How well it absorbs horrid Boston potholes
-Utilitarian, go anywhere feeling
-Not really caring too much about appearance and worrying about scratches/dings or worn leather.
-Ease of trailer hitch install
-The interior (Compared to pre-'11 JKs) : **The interior change is one big reason I ended up going the Jeep route. I like a decent looking interior because that's what I see most in a vehicle.
-Using 87 octane fuel
-The windshield washer nozzle power : **It's flippin' strong!

Dislikes
-That I don't live near Colorado and Utah
-It's winter and I have to wait to take off the top and doors
-Steering feel : **It's better than I expected, but it's hard coming from a RWD sports car with amazing handling and steering
-Engine & power/weight : **I know it's leaps and bounds better than the 3.8 but it still leaves me wanting
-The power window buttons : **Instead of a rocker that can be manipulated with the finger oriented the same way, you have to flip your finger over to roll the windows up. Ergonomics annoyance.
-That I couldn't find a Natural Green with 3.73 gears and a LSD.
-There are too many fantastic Overland adventure type mods for me to do

Overall, I love it and am really glad that I got it

Last edited by Pappy; 01-03-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
but i think ill be ok other than that !
Great pic!
Old 04-13-2012, 08:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default All Good

Just went from 2010 sport to a 2012 sport and I am VERY happy. Power seems to be night and day difference at all times. No complaints yet.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Traded a 2006 Honda Ridgeline for a 2012 JKU. Same gas mileage bu a lot more fun in the JKU!!! 2100 miles and counting!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1460670663.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	304598  
Old 04-16-2012, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

So far my only dislike is the Infinity sound system. It's not terrible, but it sure as hell isn't "premium". I had to check to see if my sub was working. Got better bass in my Sunfire with 2 6.5s and 2 6x9s, with no sub! If this is the premium system, I can't imagine the other one...

Had some sticker shock my first fill up, since the old car was an Eco box, but I didn't buy it for fuel economy!

-vastly improved interior. I could not stand the old interior.
-vastly improved engine/auto trans. I found the old engine/auto to be horrid
-strut now keeps rear gate open.
-came with 4 jeep grab handles
-came with 2 jeep coat hangers
-came with lock nuts on all 5 rims, also came with associated removal bit
-my top doesn't leak a drop, even after removal and re-installation of the freedom panels.
-connectivity group is an awesome option (evic, uconnect, USB port, power plug, etc)
-heated seats

Overall: Love this thing, and very glad I didn't settle and get an older model. Got exactly what I wanted.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2321274722.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	305020  

Quick Reply: 2012 Likes and Dislikes?