Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2012 Likes and Dislikes?

Old 12-27-2011, 10:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CC7242
I didnt plan on spending more money for the 730N lol. Looks nice and all but not worth it. Im planning on going back next week to test drive one. Thanks for everyone who has given their input!!
2ND 2012, 4TH JK, 10th Jeep LOL Don't spend the extra to get the 730N over the 430. I have had both 730 and 430 in a 2012 but also had them previous. The 430 is a nicer system and I have yet to find something it doesn't do that the 730 did. The Nav on the 430 is better you can see the names of the smaller roads coming up where you can't on the 730 (previous years it was ok). You can change your icon to be a jeep on the 430 LOL. In general I found that the 430 has more to offer. Get the Comms package! It adds the ability to change personal settings for the jeep as well as the controls for the steering wheel.

The 2012 is a lot nicer ride then previous year JK's. Shifts smoother and more power and the gearing at least on the Rubicon is really nice in the mountains. Down steep grades I found that this combo holds better.
1st 2012 I put 3800 miles on I am at 500 on this one I just picked it up last week.

Last edited by lensstj; 12-27-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:40 AM
JK Newbie

I love my 2012 JK. Only dislike is that it is still full on stock. That will change in the next few months!
Old 12-27-2011, 12:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by CC7242
Nice! What size tires are you running on that? Should I be able to go to like a 31 or 32 without having to get spacers?
If you run a 31 or 32 you'll be fine without spacers. The Rubicon tires are a 32" tire, you have to worry about the width. I am running a 33x12.5 on Black Rock wheels with 4.5 backspacing so no I'm not running spacers. I ran this wheel and tire combo stock with no rubbing issues. I now have a Teraflex 2.5 coil lift on it.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I absolutely love my '12 JKUR, but I'm one of many who is really disappointed with the 730N.

Although they've added some new features, the UI is incredibly antiquated, the text-to-speech is awful, and the performance is sluggish. The screen is low-resolution and the hardware isn't really any different than it was 5 years ago (would you pay today's prices for 5 year old technology?). My cellphone has better accuracy, directions, maps, and updates, traffic, and weather are free.

My Jeep feels modern with the new engine and the awesome interior, but the navigation system feels ancient. I'm still hoping that an aftermarket unit will come out that uses Google Navigation.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah....I wouldn't do the 730n again. I like the hard drive but the nav functions and interface isnt very good. The dealer found a 2012 inbound with most of what I wanted, so the 730 was part of the deal
Old 12-28-2011, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spank
I absolutely love my '12 JKUR, but I'm one of many who is really disappointed with the 730N.

Although they've added some new features, the UI is incredibly antiquated, the text-to-speech is awful, and the performance is sluggish. The screen is low-resolution and the hardware isn't really any different than it was 5 years ago (would you pay today's prices for 5 year old technology?). My cellphone has better accuracy, directions, maps, and updates, traffic, and weather are free.

My Jeep feels modern with the new engine and the awesome interior, but the navigation system feels ancient. I'm still hoping that an aftermarket unit will come out that uses Google Navigation.
There android based double din head units now that have Google Nav. I also found one company that mirrors your android phone on you current head unit screen with working touch screen duplex
Old 12-28-2011, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

The 2012 is awesome and I don't hate a thing about it.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lotus F1
There android based double din head units now that have Google Nav. I also found one company that mirrors your android phone on you current head unit screen with working touch screen duplex
elaborate on that please !
Old 12-30-2011, 03:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmpjk
WOW! Didnt realize there was this much turmoil over a Jeep engine. Didn't we all buy our Jeeps becuase of what we can do with them? I would have bought mine regardless of the engine size or power. I do however find it crazy that my Jeep has as much horsepower as my old 1994 Z28 Camaro but thats not what got me to buy another Jeep. I liked the community of Jeepers, the family orientation, the fun factor and that there is nothing else like a Wrangler on the road. People who put down the 12's becuase of the new engine and or fancy interior..... shouldn't you be more upset that the same Jeep emblem and trail rated badge thats on your Wrangler is on a Patriot and Compass? The fact that Jeep made some horsepower and torque changes to the Wrangler is nice. Thank you Jeep. Here is a for anyone who owns a JK!
Couldn't agree more! I intend to uprgade my '09 JK next year to the new model, partially because my lease will be up & I like to keep my new vehicles under 5 years and partially for the new interior and Pentastar motor that, from all reports, is a much better fit for the JK platform than the old 3.8L I have now.

I simply made an innocent enquiry here in an earlier post wanting to know what people were talking about concerning the "poor gas mileage" some 2012 owners reported. I was genuinely surprised as I thought the new Pentastar V6 was superior to the old iron block 3.8L in every way and all this new technology and smaller 3.6L capacity (not to mention the new 5-speed auto transmission) would translate into lower fuel consumption. I was hoping some owners would chime in with what mileage they were getting so I could compare these figures to what I'm getting now, as I suspected that what people meant was that the 2012's mileage was poor compared to the previous non-Wrangler vehicle (ie Toyota Camry, etc) they had owned prior to getting the JK, not poor compared to the old 3.8L engined JK Wrangler itself.

Instead I get flamed by a certain member here (who has gone on to attack eveyone else it seems) and accused of being jealous of 2012 owners, lying about the mileage I get from my '09 JK, and generally was verbally abused. Rather than us older model JK owners being jealous it seems there are some 2012 owners (which I myself will be next year) who are a little testy and insecure of their new purchase, and appear to look down their noses at pre-2012 JK owners like they're second class citizens or something.

Peace out guys; it's only an internet forum after all, not WW3! I come here to this forum to gain information and insight from the knowledge and experience of other JK owners that will hopefully allow me to enhance my appreciation and enjoyment of JK Wrangler ownership even more. If I want to vent and attack people I'll write angry letters to the editor of my local newspaper about those dang teenagers smoking pot down at the local skate park...

Last edited by JKlad; 12-30-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

what i dislike about the 2012s is i dont have one

Quick Reply: 2012 Likes and Dislikes?