Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2012 JK with uconnect and iPhone 4S & Siri

Old 03-31-2012, 03:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick note: I had my UConnect module updated with the new firmware that xsdbs mentions above. I used to be able to dictate to Siri using the Jeep's speakers and mic (press and hold Home), but it no longer works. It appears that later-built Jeeps already have the newer firmware, which may explain why some people can do it and some can't.

Unfortunately, I just graduated to the Can't camp.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

SIRI is compatible with Uconnect. Apple piggy backed on a feature that Uconnect supported but Chrysler decided that they wanted wanted to eliminate that feature. This decision was before the 4S came out or could be tested for validating that it would be approved for Uconnect compatibility or not. The SW for the 2012 Uconnect was tested on devices that were available at the time of writing the SW. One of the phones was the IPhone 4 and it worked then and still does work. More than 100 phones were tested and those that passed were put on the approved phone list. Apple kept the 4s & the IOS 5.0 secret and did not offer any private testing either. So as you know, you can only test what is available and there is no magic ball that can tell you what another company is going to come out with. You V1 2012 Uconnect SW was still based off of the 2011 SW and the enhancements had to come at a later date. The SW was approved by Chrysler in early 2011 and started to be built in mid August for the plants to gear up to start using. The Iphone 4s came out in October of 2011.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just saw this reply from Rednroll and I felt compelled to reply.

You are a poser first and foremost. Posting a link to Wikipedia as if you just discovered the Internet...please.

Secondly, Chrysler just issued a TSB to address bluetooth audio quality in addition to a dozen other issues. Pretty clear admission of inadequacy and guilt on UConnects part.

Thirdly, ANYONE who has an iPhone and a Toyota...who btw knows a little something about technology...can attest to the superiority of their Bluetooth tech...INCLUDING SIRI - which works flawlessly.

As much as you'd like to bash the iPhone (most likely because you're a DROID fanboy or really old), Chrysler products are years behind the curve.

Originally Posted by Rednroll
These are not short comings of UConnect. These are short comings of your phone. The reason your song details don't show up via Bluetooth is because your crap phone does not have the Bluetooth profile built into it, to send that information to the radio.

Instead of blaming everything on the radio and UConnect for things not working, it might be better to educate yourself on how bluetooth wireless connections actually work and the different bluetooth "profiles" that BOTH devices must support for them to work properly. Every time something doesn't work, it's always the radio's fault according to some of you, but that is NOT how bluetooth works. It requires BOTH devices, which just happens to include your crappy phone for specific bluetooth functions to fully work.

Start your education by going Here:
Bluetooth profile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Once you finish that, and feel you're an expert on those items, then you might want to move onto the bluetooth website and start pulling technical specifications for each of those profiles listed on the wiki.

Go Here:
The Official Bluetooth SIG Member Website | Welcome to Bluetooth.org

....and just as an FYI.....The iPhone is one of the WORST devices in regards to Bluetooth Profile support functionality. Just because the iPhone has all these functions like Siri built inside of it, doesn't mean it has the additional bluetooth profiles also built inside of it, to be able to share these functions with other devices.

Quick Reply: 2012 JK with uconnect and iPhone 4S & Siri