Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2012 JK with uconnect and iPhone 4S & Siri

Old 03-27-2012, 10:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotta love it when Siri says "Im sorry I cannot help you right now."
Old 03-27-2012, 10:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HippieHunters
Gotta love it when Siri says "Im sorry I cannot help you right now."
thank god my phone does not have Siri.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rednroll

These are not short comings of UConnect. These are short comings of your phone. The reason your song details don't show up via Bluetooth is because your crap phone does not have the Bluetooth profile built into it, to send that information to the radio.

Instead of blaming everything on the radio and UConnect for things not working, it might be better to educate yourself on how bluetooth wireless connections actually work and the different bluetooth "profiles" that BOTH devices must support for them to work properly. Every time something doesn't work, it's always the radio's fault according to some of you, but that is NOT how bluetooth works. It requires BOTH devices, which just happens to include your crappy phone for specific bluetooth functions to fully work.

Start your education by going Here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile

Once you finish that, and feel you're an expert on those items, then you might want to move onto the bluetooth website and start pulling technical specifications for each of those profiles listed on the wiki.

Go Here:
www.bluetooth.org

....and just as an FYI.....The iPhone is one of the WORST devices in regards to Bluetooth Profile support functionality. Just because the iPhone has all these functions like Siri built inside of it, doesn't mean it has the additional bluetooth profiles also built inside of it, to be able to share these functions with other devices.
Before you start generalizing iPhones as "crap phones" just as you told him not to criticize Uconnect, think about the accuracy of the assumptions you are making. I have a 2012 JKUR, ordered 1/6 and delivered 3/7. I ordered it with standard RES radio and the connectivity group. Upon delivery I had the dealer install a late, 2011 model 430N RHB into my Jeep that I picked up used on Craigslist for $450. My iPhone 4S streams music via Bluetooth exceptionally well, WITH song and artist information. It connects to the Uconnect system with very clear call quality, and can be controlled via the Uconnect module easily. Where it falls short, is that you can't use the home button to activate Siri through the in-car system, but if you do a google search you find plenty of threads from people who successfully use Siri this way with their Chrysler/dodge/jeep Uconnect systems....some of those even in Wranglers. My last car was a 2011 Volvo S60 T6 in which everything worked perfectly except the call quality sucked. Siri could be activated using home button, immediately feeding into the Bluetooth system. This tells me that the iPhone itself (as a device) is not necessarily at fault. Rather there seems to have been an update in the Uconnect software which has perhaps left some functionality inoperable....especially considering the reports of successful operation from some Uconnect owners. This is not necessarily chryslers fault either since the software engineers cannot test every device with their systems and the variability in the Bluetooth standards is fairly high.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

@ Rednroll,
You are quite correct that both devices need to support a feature in order for it to actually work.
Apple thinks that they are just the cream of the crop, but yet they don't do enough validation on their products with other devices that they are supposed to be able to work with. Guess they figure that they don't have to work with other devices but that everyone else has to work with them.
As for the BTSA (Bluetooth streaming audio) Meta Data, The IPhone 4s does support this feature, however it is not consistent. Meaning that there are some times that it sends the data and sometimes it doesn't and this is completely random. Also most phones that I have seen that do support Meta Data don't send the information on the first song to be played but will start to send info from the 2nd song on. With the IPhone, sometimes it will be sending and displaying the info just fine, you shut the vehicle off and come back out, what the heck, there's no data now. It's not the Uconnect, it can only display what is sent so if there's no data from the phone, there's no data displayed on the radio.

Now for SIRI, Apple designed SIRI SW using one of their Engineers 2011 Durango and some chip information on the 2011 Uconnect system. Problem is that they did not validate if the same information was also on the 2012 Uconnect SW. Apple is aware of this issue as well as the Uconnect Staff. hopefully there will be a fix soon.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

There has been a 2012 Uconnect SW update released. The dealers received it yesterday. Now this update has nothing to do with the above postings about SIRI or Meta Data. The TSB # is 08-018-12. Below is just the highlight of the TSB. This TSB is for the 2012 vehicles built prior to 1-1-2012 and have the following radios (RES,REQ,RHB,RBZ) and have the Uconnect system. This update has nothing to do with the radio, only the external UC module.
OK, so now you're wondering "can I do the update or do I have to take it to the dealer. Give me a couple days to work on this, I do have the file but I need to call a couple of the dealers to see if they can find it in their STAR system. Once I can confirm that they have it (but probably don't know what to do, even though the procedures will be the same as the TSB from last year and some dealers still claim there is no such TSB) Then I should be able to help further.
Stay tuned.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer satisfaction enhancements are included with this software release:
NOTE: After the HFM has been updated it will receive these enhancements.
• Reduced “Device Reading” wait time after connecting a device to the remote USB
port.
• Call / Dial separation improves upon names being recognized as phone numbers.
• Improved sound quality during Bluetooth streaming.
• Increased iPod and iPhone compatibility.
• SMS messaging support via MAP protocol (not all phones support the MAP
protocol).
• Added “None of These” and “Correction” to the phone book prompt menu for better
handling of similar names.
• Previous button will return the song currently being played to the beginning of the
track.
• AirPlay feature “Dock Connector” no longer needs to be manually selected on Apple
devices. This will resolve the “No Audio” condition when the device is connected to
the remote USB port and dock connector is not selected.
NOTE: USB mode resume will no longer 'resume' after ignition OFF
Old 03-27-2012, 12:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, lets not get too loud here. Lets talk about this for a minute. Your vehicle was built in Jan of this year. Your vehicle has the newest available Uconnect SW in it, which Chrysler started to use in mid October 2011. You will see the post right above this one where I posted the information on a new TSB for the V1 2012 vehicles. Yes, your V2 streaming audio is superior to that of the V1 vehicles, which with this update will have the quality of sound that yours has.
You see the SW for a vehicle is written as far back as 1 1/2 yr before the vehicle starts to be built. That SW can only be validated with what devices are available at that time. Now for the device (phone) this is just the opposite for the most part. Take the IPhone 4s for example, Apple had plenty of time last year to test their phone by working with the Hands free car kit companies to validate that it will work properly with vehicles on the road as well as the 2012 vehicles that were soon to be released. If they were to work closer with others then they would be able to fix any issues that were not going to work correctly. Heck, they had their 5.0 SW in the field for private testing why not work with the car companies. Siri was modeled off one of the Apple Engineers 2011 vehicle and some SW info that was in that year vehicle, however there was a SW change in the UC SW before the release of the 4s so without validation, it doesn't work correctly. Now Apple is not a company to go back and fix an issue so this now is left to the other guy to figure out the issue, spend their money and come up with a fix. The problem is that BT is not tightly regulated so people play outside the box or just at the edges so if a company builds to spec and uses the regulations, there's always going to be a chance that something is not going to work. All of the auto mfgrs have issues, some the same and some different. Also, yes it would be impossible to test every device.

Originally Posted by jeepdave
Before you start generalizing iPhones as "crap phones" just as you told him not to criticize Uconnect, think about the accuracy of the assumptions you are making. I have a 2012 JKUR, ordered 1/6 and delivered 3/7. I ordered it with standard RES radio and the connectivity group. Upon delivery I had the dealer install a late, 2011 model 430N RHB into my Jeep that I picked up used on Craigslist for $450. My iPhone 4S streams music via Bluetooth exceptionally well, WITH song and artist information. It connects to the Uconnect system with very clear call quality, and can be controlled via the Uconnect module easily. Where it falls short, is that you can't use the home button to activate Siri through the in-car system, but if you do a google search you find plenty of threads from people who successfully use Siri this way with their Chrysler/dodge/jeep Uconnect systems....some of those even in Wranglers. My last car was a 2011 Volvo S60 T6 in which everything worked perfectly except the call quality sucked. Siri could be activated using home button, immediately feeding into the Bluetooth system. This tells me that the iPhone itself (as a device) is not necessarily at fault. Rather there seems to have been an update in the Uconnect software which has perhaps left some functionality inoperable....especially considering the reports of successful operation from some Uconnect owners. This is not necessarily chryslers fault either since the software engineers cannot test every device with their systems and the variability in the Bluetooth standards is fairly high.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepdave
Before you start generalizing iPhones as "crap phones"
Where did I call the iPhone a "crap phone"????

He didn't mention which phone he had. The only thing I mentioned specific to the iPhone was that they are one of the worst phones in regards to supporting Bluetooth profiles and I'm not saying that out of any "assumption". I'm saying that out of experience since I test phones and their bluetooth capabilities on a regular basis.

Like xsdbs mentioned, Apple does minimal testing and expects everyone else to work around their problems. Bluetooth device developers report problems to Apple all the time and the majority of them are ignored by Apple.

The point I'm making is that making the assumption that all these problems are the radio's problem all the time is a very bad assumption and if you have any concept of how bluetooth actually works then you would be able to realize this.

Last edited by Rednroll; 03-27-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by xsdbs
As for the BTSA (Bluetooth streaming audio) Meta Data, The IPhone 4s does support this feature, however it is not consistent.
I also wanted to point out this functionality is specifically tied to the AVCP Bluetooth profile v1.3, in that if the phone supports it or not and of course the UConnect must support it also. The iPhone 4S does support the v1.3 spec, the iPhone 3GS does not. So it can depend on which model of iPhone you have also if the song names show up or not.

As new as the iPhone 4S is....it still does not support the AVCP v1.4 bluetooth profile which was out way before the iPhone 4S. v1.4 allows you to be able to search and browse through the phone's Songs, and then select them for playback from a remote device.

So one of these days, when others start complaining because the browse button on their radio is greyed out when connecting their brand new iPhone 4S....now you know why it doesn't work.

Also some phones will say they support the v1.3 AVCP bluetooth profile in that they will send the Metadata to another device. The thing about the bluetooth specifications are that phones can pick and choose which metadata they want to send. So if your album art which is part of the metadata, doesn't show up on the radio and the radio has a box to display BT audio artwork.....guess which device is probably the reason why it's not showing up?

Last edited by Rednroll; 03-27-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by batlin
I have done searches on this and came up empty.. from what I can tell Siri and the iPhone 4S will work with 2011 and early 2012 JKs.. I CAN NOT get it to work with my Feb. build data JK with Uconnect. I can get the phone to pair, make calls using the uconnect voice command, as well as stream Blutooth as well as stream via cable but I cannot get Siri to work via uconnect. Anyone with a new model 2012 JK get Siri working?

TIA
I am having the same issue. I just picked up my Jeep 4 days ago. Uconnect with bluetooth works great with my iPhone 4s. The songs are displayed on the radio as they are playing. The sound quality is great (for a jeep). The Uconnect with the phone works. It finds all the names in my address book with no problem. The one thing I cannot get to work is Siri. I too have read that many people can use Siri by pressing the Home button. This does not work on mine. It works that way on my Prius with no issue. So is it because of the later Jeep build? Has anyone got this to work who has a later build? I'm hoping the Uconnect update will make it work for us with later builds.

Any input would be appreciated, aside from "it's because it's an iPhone". We've read in enough threads that it does indeed work... it just doesn't work for us with later Jeep builds. Thanks!
Old 03-27-2012, 07:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just a comment, I think the Uconnect is a cool feature. Some of my older wrangler owner friends kind of snob on it. Great option and works really well for me.

Quick Reply: 2012 JK with uconnect and iPhone 4S & Siri