Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2012 ha!!!!!

Old 08-18-2011, 08:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wont say the new motor is bad, I haven't driven one. My biggest complaint is with long term durability. I don't think its really been around in this application long enough to know.

I just don't see the hate for the 3.8 motors. Maybe I just grandpa drive everywhere I go.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I happpy for everone who is now driving a 2012 with the new Pentastar, congrats!!! I'm sure it will serve the JK well. Its nice to see Jeep has implimented this motor in the JK show forward movement....how pissed would ya'all be if the 3.8L was theis year's mill again?

I've never been a speed guy (except on my snowmobile ) and I bought the JK knowing what it can and can't do. I DD it every day, 120KM round trip on the highway...no issues, cruz man its a Jeep enjoy the ride and all that goes with rocking a JK!!!!

Of course I get another JK it will have the Pentastar, and Im sure I'll be happy, if this 2008 last as long as I hope it will....maybe I'll be really happy and we'll have an oil burner under the hood.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Running Man
Don't forget simplicity. The diesels use pressure, versus spark, to ignite the fuel. This translates to no electrical ignition system (e.g. no spark plugs, wires cool packs, etc.).
Yeah but in place of the spark system you now get aftertreatment with multiple sensors, fuel being dosed in cylinder to get blown out to the exhaust for regen (some of it winds up in the oil), a urea tank and SCR catalyst or a NAC, a big egr valve and cooler, a VG turbo and it will have an intake throttle just like your gas engine. It will also have a lift pump and a main injection pump. It also has$400 injectors that will probably have to be replaced sometime before 200k miles.

If this was 2000 I might agree that the diesel is simpler but those diesels were legislated away a long time ago.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blown2tone

Tell me the site or app you took the screen shot from. I noticed the back arrow says 2012 colors...

Thanks !
Here's the link....

https://www.fleet.chrysler.com/v7fle...uyer_Guide.pdf

I was not hating on the 2012, I was just surprised by the high RPMs they showed in the above link.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:44 PM
JK Newbie

I drove the 2012 Rubicon today, automatic trans. I have a 2011 Rubicon, auto, lift and 35s...and i have to say i was very impressed! It does seem to have a noticeable amount of power driving around town, and improvement pulling on the interstate...Didnt think it would be a good idea to take it back dirty so i didnt take it off road and Really test it.......The auto trans has a "slap shift" style to shift it down from drive to first and then up thhrough the gears, wondering how that will last. But, $2,000.00 plus on the new sticker??? WTH
Old 08-18-2011, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Running Man
Don't forget simplicity. The diesels use pressure, versus spark, to ignite the fuel. This translates to no electrical ignition system (e.g. no spark plugs, wires cool packs, etc.).
In the sensor area, a diesel is no different than a gas engine. They both have multiple "sensor" components as part of the management system. These include the following:

Intake and fuel
Ignition
After Treatment
Thermal

From the practical perspective, I've had several diesels that have gone 200K with virtually no problems. A couple I've had went 350K plus, and outlasted the vehicle bodies they were in. I can't say this about any gas engine I've owned!
Old 08-18-2011, 06:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jumpbail
I drove the 2012 Rubicon today, automatic trans. I have a 2011 Rubicon, auto, lift and 35s...and i have to say i was very impressed! It does seem to have a noticeable amount of power driving around town, and improvement pulling on the interstate...Didnt think it would be a good idea to take it back dirty so i didnt take it off road and Really test it.......The auto trans has a "slap shift" style to shift it down from drive to first and then up thhrough the gears, wondering how that will last. But, $2,000.00 plus on the new sticker??? WTH
Of course you would be impressed you went from a lifted 4dr on 35's back down to stock height and tires!

Quick Reply: 2012 ha!!!!!