Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2012 ha!!!!!

Old 08-18-2011, 05:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cbcwrangler
Is the Pentastar a vast improvement over the 3.8? YES!

Would a modern diesel be a vast improvement over the Pentastar? YES YES YES!!
Why would a diesel be an improvement? I'm just curious... People are always asking for one but never give a reason why?
Old 08-18-2011, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CdnJeepDan
Why would a diesel be an improvement? I'm just curious... People are always asking for one but never give a reason why?
Three main reasons (in no particular order):

1. Driveability. The 3.0 diesel in the new GC makes 400+ ft/lbs of torque at 1500 rpm, with about 90% of that being made just off of idle. You never have to rev the motor to get the full power rating in day to day driving. If you have never driven a modern diesel, go drive a VW TDI with stick, or a BMW 330D. One drive is all t takes. Marketing always focuses on HP. I much prefer a modern diesel's torque over a high revving, high HP motor. It is something you have to experience to understand.

2. Economy. At idle the 3.0 will use about 90% less fuel than a gas motor, due to diesels ability to vary the air/fuel ratio (not total volume). Highway rating on the 3.0 in the GC is around 34mpg.

3. Durability. Diesels last longer because they are built tougher to withstand higher cylinder pressures, and also because they operate at low rpm's, they produce less wear.

Fuel availability going forward is another positive reason. Anybody who travels to remote areas around the world knows that you will always find diesel before gas, if only one is available. As bio and synthetic fuels take off over the next few years, the majority of those producers are focusing on diesel first (because it is easier to grow - long technical explanation behind this).
Old 08-18-2011, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 181
consideration that the new motor makes at least 234 ft.lb. of torque starting @ 1600rpm. The 3.8 peaks at 240 ft.lb. @ 4000rpm.
234 ft-lb @1600 rpm? Is this correct or a typo?
Old 08-18-2011, 05:37 AM
JK Super Freak

I stand by my thinking that the 4.7l V8 would be an ideal engine for these. My 99 WJ had this motor and I had 125k when I traded it in for my JK 2 years ago. It still was strong, didn't smoke, and didn't burn oil. Yes a Hemi would be great as an option but in my opinion the 4.7L would be great, especially with the MDS system yay was available, but that motor is gone too. So the best option is the 5.7L!
Old 08-18-2011, 06:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NH-JK
I'm all for the new motor and more horse power but at what cost? REDLINE!!!!

Does anyone see an issue with the horse power specs.... Look at the RPMs it takes to make the 285HP

I don't know about you guys but I shift well before 6000 RPMs.
Tell me the site or app you took the screen shot from. I noticed the back arrow says 2012 colors...

Thanks !
Old 08-18-2011, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Driveability. The 3.0 diesel in the new GC makes 400+ ft/lbs of torque at 1500 rpm, with about 90% of that being made just off of idle. You never have to rev the motor to get the full power rating in day to day driving. If you have never driven a modern diesel, go drive a VW TDI with stick, or a BMW 330D. One drive is all t takes. Marketing always focuses on HP. I much prefer a modern diesel's torque over a high revving, high HP motor. It is something you have to experience to understand.

2. Economy. At idle the 3.0 will use about 90% less fuel than a gas motor, due to diesels ability to vary the air/fuel ratio (not total volume). Highway rating on the 3.0 in the GC is around 34mpg.

3. Durability. Diesels last longer because they are built tougher to withstand higher cylinder pressures, and also because they operate at low rpm's, they produce less wear.

Fuel availability going forward is another positive reason. Anybody who travels to remote areas around the world knows that you will always find diesel before gas, if only one is available. As bio and synthetic fuels take off over the next few years, the majority of those producers are focusing on diesel first (because it is easier to grow - long technical explanation behind this).
Ahh... Well, those make sense. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just traded my 2006 Commander with the 4.7L for a 2012 Unlimited Rubicon. I'd had the Commander since I traded my 2003 Rubicon back in 2006. Before that I had a 2000 WJ with the 4.7L. My Commander had the 4.7 as well. I'm VERY happy with the performance of the 3.6L in the 2012. It reminds me a lot of the 4.7L V8. Since there has been so much talk of performance with the new V6, i did some tests last night. First, it's a Jeep, not a car so 0-60, 1/4 mile times, skidpad performance arent' really important here. I did my tests with the iphone accelerometer and by eyeballing the speedo with the timer on my iphone as well. 0-60 times varied from 7.2 secs to 7.8 secs. I dont know what the 3.8L does it in, but for me, thats better than I would ever expect out of a Jeep and certainly better than my 2003 was. It's better than my Commander and close to what my WJ did it in. I didn't do any timing 60-80 times, but on the highway the Jeep is a real cruiser. Several times on the highway, I've looked down and found that I was going 85mph. Thats something that wasn't even really possible to accidently do on my TJ. I can tell you that I've had no problem passing anyone or merging in traffic at all. I do know it'll smoke my fiance's 2008 Scion XB light to light.

Originally Posted by db99wj
I stand by my thinking that the 4.7l V8 would be an ideal engine for these. My 99 WJ had this motor and I had 125k when I traded it in for my JK 2 years ago. It still was strong, didn't smoke, and didn't burn oil. Yes a Hemi would be great as an option but in my opinion the 4.7L would be great, especially with the MDS system yay was available, but that motor is gone too. So the best option is the 5.7L!
Old 08-18-2011, 07:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by offcamber
I just traded my 2006 Commander with the 4.7L for a 2012 Unlimited Rubicon. I'd had the Commander since I traded my 2003 Rubicon back in 2006. Before that I had a 2000 WJ with the 4.7L. My Commander had the 4.7 as well. I'm VERY happy with the performance of the 3.6L in the 2012. It reminds me a lot of the 4.7L V8. Since there has been so much talk of performance with the new V6, i did some tests last night. First, it's a Jeep, not a car so 0-60, 1/4 mile times, skidpad performance arent' really important here. I did my tests with the iphone accelerometer and by eyeballing the speedo with the timer on my iphone as well. 0-60 times varied from 7.2 secs to 7.8 secs. I dont know what the 3.8L does it in, but for me, thats better than I would ever expect out of a Jeep and certainly better than my 2003 was. It's better than my Commander and close to what my WJ did it in. I didn't do any timing 60-80 times, but on the highway the Jeep is a real cruiser. Several times on the highway, I've looked down and found that I was going 85mph. Thats something that wasn't even really possible to accidently do on my TJ. I can tell you that I've had no problem passing anyone or merging in traffic at all. I do know it'll smoke my fiance's 2008 Scion XB light to light.
Very interesting, might be why the 4.7L is in the same department as the 4.0's! Sounds like the power, low and high, might be similar, with improved emissions. So the next step should be offering an optional 5.7L! My basis of comparison was with the 3.8L in mine. I actually have no problem with my motor, sure it would be great to have a bit more power at 70mph passing a semi on a 2 lane, but really, there are not many times that I have problems, even on acceleration into merging traffic, here in Memphis on the Interstate, where 70mph is the slow lane, and that's with a automatic unlimited even with my 33's.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jhol111964
234 ft-lb @1600 rpm? Is this correct or a typo?
That's correct. The wonders of full variable valve timing. From a Chrysler press release....

The 24-valve, 3.6-liter V-6 features dual overhead cams and an aluminum block and heads. Both the intake and exhaust timing are variable, yet the engine employs traditional port fuel injection. When it debuts in the Grand Cherokee, the engine will be tuned to produce 280 hp at 6400 rpm and 260 lb-ft of torque at 4800 rpm on regular gasoline (it is also E85-capable). The torque curve is broad, with 90 percent of max twist available from 1600 to 6400 rpm. Maximum engine speed is 7200 rpm
Old 08-18-2011, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Don't forget simplicity. The diesels use pressure, versus spark, to ignite the fuel. This translates to no electrical ignition system (e.g. no spark plugs, wires cool packs, etc.).

Quick Reply: 2012 ha!!!!!