Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2012 exhausts/Intake

Old 10-10-2011, 07:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers
Cat back on my TJ sounds like a STRONG V-8. People stop me to see my hemi! Sorry it's a six I tell them

Cat back on my JKU. Sounds like crap.

Buyer beware just as stated above.

If you goal is 300 hp, just get the grand Cherokee program for your JK or add the super chip when it's out.
Your TJ has a 4.0L HO... and I agree with your statement, especially running a series 40 Flowmaster. I ran a 40 on my 1991 Cherokee 4.0L HO and it sounded like a healthy V8, but the drone was unbearable. After 4-5 years, I installed a DynoMax Super Turbo to reduce the noise ... the drone is non-existent with a DynoMax ST.

Muffler tests are deceiving .. back in the day the best mufflers that generated the most HP were found on a stock Corvair Spyder (Turbo) and a Street Hemi... and we were pushing way more cubes through those mufflers, example... 396s, 426s, 427s, 428s, 454s and 455s.

and guess who made OEM Corvair Turbo mufflers? Walker... which are now called DynoMax Super Turbos.

Walker has long history... dual Corvair Turbo mufflers were actually the best combo on the street.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers
Cat back on my TJ sounds like a STRONG V-8.
If anyone thinks a loud inline 6 cylinder motor is a Hemi, they don't know squat, and that proves it.

LOUD doesn't count, it's the sound quality that a V8 makes that is different from a V6, V4, inline 5,6,8. The same sound quality that sets Harley's apart from any other bike.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, then I can't explain.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:20 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very true. The Super Turbo is a great muffler, a lot of TJ/YJ guys run these. And they are still very popular amongst the muscle car crew as well.
But I digress....
We should be launching our new system for the 3.6 at the beginning of the year (2012). We want to get this right and make sure it works with aftermarket suspensions as well.
I do know that one member here (Rainier) took our "rockcrawler" system from the 07-11 JK and had his dealership retrofit it on to his 2012.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...stall-Write-up

Originally Posted by m998dna
Your TJ has a 4.0L HO... and I agree with your statement, especially running a series 40 Flowmaster. I ran a 40 on my 1991 Cherokee 4.0L HO and it sounded like a healthy V8, but the drone was unbearable. After 4-5 years, I installed a DynoMax Super Turbo to reduce the noise ... the drone is non-existent with a DynoMax ST.

Muffler tests are deceiving .. back in the day the best mufflers that generated the most HP were found on a stock Corvair Spyder (Turbo) and a Street Hemi... and we were pushing way more cubes through those mufflers, example... 396s, 426s, 427s, 428s, 454s and 455s.

and guess who made OEM Corvair Turbo mufflers? Walker... which are now called DynoMax Super Turbos.

Walker has long history... dual Corvair Turbo mufflers were actually the best combo on the street.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:31 AM
JK Freak

On topic, Airraid and Banks both made a nice enclosed intake system for the 2012 3.6L. I'm not a fan of open elements in the engine compartment, but both of these use a bit better closed type system.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm still looking for a kit!! I will check them out
Old 04-09-2012, 07:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RescueG911
I'm still looking for a kit!! I will check them out
i prob can't post any links here, but just google 2012 3.6L intake and you'll find them quick. around $300-$350.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KlBBJLJEN8

ugh.. the airaid requires you to hack up your stock airtube. i don't like that much.. i'll have to check out Banks too.

Banks does not require you to hack up your oem box and duct..

Last edited by plac; 04-09-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by m998dna
A lot of guys have spent thousands installing new cat back systems on Grand Cherokee SRT8s only to find later it was a waste of money. For the most part, all it did was make more noise.. many went back to their stock exhaust. You'd be surprised how efficient the OEM exhaust can be and just with a good tune from someone who knows what they are doing can reap the best results.

And CAI's seem to bring out the best in people when discussing which brand makes the most horsepower... and they usually have a dyno printout to prove their point. I usually take those claims with a grain of salt because there are risks involved with opening up air filtration and getting cold air from places that are untested in all conditions... so buyer beware.

For several reasons I encourage running quieter exhaust systems for on-road/off-road applications... and you're reading this from someone that enjoyed running open expansion chambers in the desert 40 years ago.

I've been to countless motocross and drag races over the years, ran loud exhaust on many vehicles and all has taken its toll...

Now I say "what?" all the time.. especially when my girlfriend is talking.

Good luck ... especially to those that serve as the guinea pigs.

+1. You are not persuading anyone to keep the stock exhaust with the girlfriend coment...
Old 04-15-2012, 09:07 AM
JK Newbie

For jeepindreams you just have to cut the inlet part of the intake. That's all the cutting that's needed. Great product, just like factory box but just bigger
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120415_100348.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	304529  

Quick Reply: 2012 exhausts/Intake