Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2012 buyers - what's your game plan for purchase?

Old 05-18-2011, 01:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2012 buyers - what's your game plan for purchase?

The 2012's supposedly open for order 2 weeks from today!

If you are planning on buying one, what is your game plan? Are you going to order as soon as possible? Are you going to wait a month or so in order to not have the first one ever built? Are you going to wait until the new ones show up on the lot to take it for a spin first? Or are you going hold out as long as possible to get a better deal?

Along these lines, how do you plan to negotiate if you are ordering before they hit the lot? (Any tips on this would be appreciated!)

I don't know about you guys, but I am tired of waiting! I want my jeep already!
Old 05-18-2011, 01:46 PM
JK Newbie

I plan on ordering once I see the pics and the specs. Of course it all depends on negotiating as well. I work at a dealer who owns another store that happens to be a jeep. So I'm not to worried there. I'm not opposed to taking a 11 rubi if things don't work out though.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:53 PM
JK Junkie

according to dealer today, it will be quite some time before the wranglers are available to order, and at least another month before they even announce all of the changes and available options. The good news is that the new CEO is very particular about new vehicle releases, and will not let them leave if there is even the slightest hitch....so they should have absolute minimal problems when first released.
The biggest obvious change being the motor, it is still a tested and proven motor...and I see no reason to be wary.

that said, I will be ordering one within a week of them becoming available.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was first going to order right off, but I'll probably wait till I get my tax return next year.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I plan on waiting until they hit the lots. I just want the automatic and air conditioning as options. I will build from there. They are usually not that hard to find with these options.
As far as negotiating a good price, you will have to see what they invoice at and go from there. Every dealer is different. Make an offer. If they don't take it go to the next. I did this when I ordered my 2008 JK. The best deal I could make at the time was $500 above invoice. I ordered it as soon as the factory started accepting orders on the 2008's. This go round I going to shoot for as close to possible to invoice.
Maybe we will get lucky this year. Before I ordered my 2008, someone on this forum posted a PDF will all of the options and colors available for the 2008 year. I printed it and brought it to my dealer in May of 2007. It was funny to see his reaction because I had more information on the JK than he had. But pricing didn't come out until the end of June.

Last edited by mgaspard; 05-18-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I will wait, I need to test drive it and see if it's worth to trade my JKU Rubi...

I love my 2010 interior, not much a fan of the new 2011 interior...
BUT
I hate the 4 speed Auto, it just doesn't feel right... the 5 speed Auto is the way it should had been from the beginning.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:32 PM
JK Newbie

i just signed up for the 3 year tread lightly membership. i think that will be a nice discount on a new 2012!
Old 05-19-2011, 05:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tcc9mpl
i just signed up for the 3 year tread lightly membership. i think that will be a nice discount on a new 2012!
Smart. I will use this or a fleet discount. Whichever is better. The max is 1% under dealers invoice. Tonka, your dealer sounds like the rest of them. He is postioning to sell vehicles today, not June 1. I do not anticipate any other specials. Chrysler is trying to cut the fleet discount deals but for now i know the number I have is locked in until Dec 2012 and they can't take that away.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I plan on a wait and see approach as it's gonna be what it's gonna be. Typically you can get a better deal on a vehicle that's on the lot vs. ordering one. There are so few options on these trucks that you can probably find one that comes close. Available colors may determine my ultimate plan. If there is a new color that will be hard to get (that I want) then I will order. Otherwise tan.

My bet would be that you will see dealer stock on lots before special orders......
Old 05-20-2011, 06:06 AM
JK Newbie

I hate to burst your bubbles but you won't be able to buy it in 2 weeks. Jeep has to announce it first. Get advertising together for it. Let reviewers test it and report on it.

Remember the Lenny Kravitiz tv spot just came out for the wrangler they wouldn't of spent that much money unless the 2011 were gonna be around much longer.

Quick Reply: 2012 buyers - what's your game plan for purchase?