Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2012 Afe Exhaust mod

Old 10-17-2011, 11:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Afe Exhaust mod

Doing my lift this Sunday and today UPS delivered the exhaust mod so the front drive shaft won't be hitting the exhaust afterwards.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Please keep us updated on how it goes.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:14 AM
JK Freak

Very nice!
Old 10-18-2011, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

That sure doesn't look "equal length". Do they note this apparent "issue" and why it's no biggie or what.....? I too will be interested to see how this one goes. Good luck with it.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

expensive too!!
Old 10-18-2011, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Very cool! Really interested to hear if there is any perceived power loss form installing this thing. Or if the sound of the exhaust changes a great deal based on this mod.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

Interested to see if there is any affects to your Jeep. Power, sound, drivability... etc...?
Old 10-19-2011, 11:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by totdoc
Very cool! Really interested to hear if there is any perceived power loss form installing this thing. Or if the sound of the exhaust changes a great deal based on this mod.
Sound will change because he will get significant half order noise increase (low rumble, it'll likely sound more powerful), however he loses the scavenging effect from the equal length legs and will lose power.

Edit: please see last post by me in thread, I misunderstood the exhaust layout (thought the loop was being removed). Therefore OP, have no fear

Last edited by Imposter_LRF; 10-19-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Imposter_LRF

Sound will change because he will get significant half order noise increase (low rumble, it'll likely sound more powerful), however he loses the scavenging effect from the equal length legs and will lose power.
Are there facts to back this or just an opinion? I've seen no dyno graph showing a gain or loss.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:40 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ranjr
Are there facts to back this or just an opinion? I've seen no dyno graph showing a gain or loss.
From another thread asking about this exhaust:

totdoc said:
Originally Posted by totdoc
Interesting. aFe makes a y pipe replacement part that can be ordered with or without their catback system. Their replacement y pipe has unequal lengths. Does this mean there would be an expected loss in performance by swapping in that part? Also, are you suggesting that even with unequal lengths of the y pipe, that the full catback system may be OK?
I said:
Originally Posted by Imposter_LRF
I am not going to bash on any other company's designs, so I cannot speak to aFe's intentions, however I can tell you for a fact that I am in charge of OEM exhaust validation for an upcoming Chrysler vehicle utilizing this 3.6L Pheonix motor where the "goofy" pipe must be in the design in order to hit the horsepower goals (for arguements sake lets say its 200HP so I dont give away anything, we all know its much higher than this). When removed, once again the numbers changed to protect the innocent, it makes 187HP (numbers are not the same as actual vehicle, however percent difference is). This should be enough to show the response of the scavenging effect to you guys.

Unequal length y-pipes will add more "half order" noise to the exhaust which will give it the "rumble" of a V8. If you put an aftermarket cat-back exhaust on the 3.6L with this "goofy" y-pipe, you should notice that you don't have the "thumping" that the guys with the 3.8L do, its a nice smooth sound (and probably wont sound as powerful). This is purely exhaust acoustics based (design of the pipe, equal vs. unequal), and the design does not allow for the noise to be "made". Its very hard to explain...wish I could just show you with sound clips from the OEM vehicle I am working on, but since its still in design validation stages, I cannot legally give that to you.

Yes, the full catback would be okay, and it would actually give you some horsepower in the form of reduced backpressure. However, it will not be a significant contributer to power increase (typically exhaust in NA engines is not a significant increase in power anyways without some sort of tuning, and with that you can make an engine breathe out better, but you must help it breathe in better too...or its...a waste).

Hope this explains things a little further and doesnt just muddy up the water...

Quick Reply: 2012 Afe Exhaust mod