Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2012 1st oil change; oil recommendations?

Old 11-13-2012, 03:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about castrol, nobody on here talked about it. It must be great cuz thats what BMW recommends in their cars.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:25 AM
JK Newbie

Just make sure you buy the one made in Germany.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HRR1
Just make sure you buy the one made in Germany.
And that it meets Chrysler spec 6395-- it will say so on the container.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

So after moving to liberal land, I finally got stung with the koolaid!

So I took my jeep at 4000 miles and the dealer in Roseville, Ca told me to wait for the light or 8,000 miles. So coming from the Rockies, I said why? He mentioned the same crap liberals like to say, better engines, better oil and save the earth tree hugging crap. The truth was, it was an excuse for me save me money....

Last night during a fill up with 7,360 miles, I finally looked under the hood after a while and I noticed something horrid.... The oil is black with about 10% transparency. But the real kicker, it was barely marking at the bottom of the dip stick.

Now I know it's important to hug a tree once in a while and some us have to live in CA for a blessed job, but recommendations like this can hurt our Jeep we depend on everyday. Heck, what are we going to use when the Zombies come.

I will no longer go to the dealership, I changed my oil to synthetic Castro at wallie today and i am going with a 5000 miles schedule. I can't believe I listen to these guys and that's after 4 Jeeps!

Do them often if you can afford it if you are not planning to trade in for a long while...
Old 11-18-2012, 09:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Cliffcrawler: Good synthetic oil and 5-7000 mile changes will work for me and has for close to a million miles of driving various rigs. Hey you might not like the political climate here in N. Ca. but you just cannot beat the beauty, and weather. I live up on the Foresthill Divide and the number of back roads and the places they can take you are nothing short of spectacular. Next summer try taking the divide road and continue on. You can drive over the Sierras on dirt roads up to Donner Summit..........Just don't drink the Kool Aid the Guv hands out.
That Jeep dealer does not have a good rep! Speedy lube uses Mobil 1 if you are not into changing your own
Old 11-19-2012, 10:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you! I so gotta look these up... One big positive to carry me on.... the weather, it is pretty awesome!

Quick Reply: 2012 1st oil change; oil recommendations?