Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2012 1st oil change; oil recommendations?

Old 12-15-2011, 11:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty sure the 2012 pentastar recommends 5w30 every 8k-miles/6months... I plan on running Penzoil Platinum 5w30 when I get to my first change.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the Los Angeles Times today:

Many automobile owners are spending more than they need on motor oil, believing that it should be changed every 3,000 miles even though almost no manufacturer requires such an aggressive oil-change schedule.

The long-held notion that the oil should be changed every 3,000 miles is so prevalent that California officials have launched a campaign to stop drivers from wasting millions of gallons of oil annually because they have their vehicles serviced too often.

"Our survey data found that nearly half of California drivers are still changing their oil at 3,000 miles or even sooner," said Mark Oldfield, a spokesman for the California Department of Resources, Recycling and Recovery, which has launched the Check Your Number campaign to encourage drivers to go with the manufacturer's recommendations.

Improvement in oils, friction proofing and car engines have lengthened the oil-change interval, typically 7,500 miles to 10,000 miles for most vehicles.

Changing motor oil according to manufacturer specifications would reduce motor-oil demand in California by about 10 million gallons a year, the agency said.

"The 3,000-mile oil change just says that the marketing campaign by quick-lube companies has been effective," said Steve Mazor, manager of the Auto Club of Southern California's Automotive Research Center. It made sense years ago, when "we had cast-iron block engines with cast-iron pistons that would expand when they got hot and older lubricants," Mazor said.

"Our new generation of engines have tighter internal tolerances, which reduces the amount of carbon and other products from combustion that gets into the oil," said Richard Truett, a Ford spokesman.

The latest engines also run at more optimum temperatures, which diminishes the degradation of oil.

Owners of late-model BMWs can go as many as 15,000 miles between oil changes, depending on driving conditions. BMWs also have sensors alerting drivers to the need to change motor oil based on conditions like driving in stop-and-go traffic, making short trips and prolonged idling.

Despite these improvements, many drivers insist on changing the oil often even if it isn't recommended.

This has prompted some new car dealers to ask customers who come in for an oil change when it's not recommended to sign a document stating that they understand that the maintenance guidelines for their auto don't require a change at that time. The dealers are worried that someone might later accuse them of selling unnecessary maintenance services.

Hopefully this will convince some of the people who think changing their oil every 500 to 1,000 miles is necessary. The experts that know say it is not necessary and environmentally wasteful.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
does fram make a oil filter for the 2012 ?????? if so got a part #
I have done some research and the only two I could find were OEM mopar 68079744AB and WIX 57144
Old 12-15-2011, 06:25 PM
JK Freak

Anyone know what the factory fill is on a 2012 3.6L Pentastar motor? ... how do you know it's conventional and not synthetic?

The last I heard, Pennzoil Platinum is the factory fill for the SRT8 line... even though the oil fill cap on the motor says Mobil 1. This is a fact for the 2010 SRT8 line because the dealers changed over to follow the Chrysler factory. This was a fallout from the bankruptcy from what I learned and was never disclosed to customers that are loyal Mobil 1 brand converts.

Not to open a can of worms... this was my most recent experience with a new purchase from Chrysler/Jeep in 2010.

With that said, what evidence do you have the factory fill is this or that? ...

Old 12-16-2011, 04:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BadTrainDriver
Redline 5w30 every 6k miles is my plan.
IMO, you can't buy better protection.
UOA will also be done every other oil change.
You can, but it costs even more. Motul!
Old 12-16-2011, 05:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see no reason to use synthetics unless you are running high heat applications, ie. race or turbo applications. Some of you guys are a product of marketing with your frequent oil changes.

It kind of reminds me of how people are brain washed to use premium fuel in cars that don't require it because they think its better, when in-fact it is worse

Last edited by Lotus F1; 12-16-2011 at 05:56 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
does fram make a oil filter for the 2012 ?????? if so got a part #
My local autozone had the STP filter. Like $11-12 I think, ridiculous. My dealer sold me the mopar one for under $6. (I bought 6 so I'm set for a while in case the price goes up).
Old 12-16-2011, 05:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've got 8200 miles on my '12. Changed the oil twice I think (1k miles, 4100 miles). Trying to schedule it in for my final free one from the dealer, then I'm going with mobil 1 syn.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Been living in germany for the last 15yrs putting many miles on european cars of all makes. There is not a single manufacturer, bmw, audi, benz...etc, that calls for a scheduled oil change of less than 25-30000km (10-15000miles) intervals. Changing oil at less than 3000 mile intervals is definately an american thing. Dont get me wrong...iwas raised in tx with 3000 mile changes as the norm....my dad still does so. But it is completely uneccessary with modern oils/motors. But, it is your investment and if it makes you feel better...go for it
Old 12-18-2011, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Oil Change... Yes or no. 2012 Rubi, 3143 miles and this would be first change.

Quick Reply: 2012 1st oil change; oil recommendations?