Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2012 1st oil change; oil recommendations?

Old 10-20-2011, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprocket
Just wondering what everyone else is doing as far as first oil change, how many miles and what oil?
Thanks
From the Jeep.com website.
  • At the top, hover over "Owners" on the menu that drops down click on "Vehicle Quick Tips"
  • Select the Wrangler
  • Then click on "Vehicle Maintenance" (the slim menu)
  • On the left click "Maintenance Schedules"

8,000 Miles or 6 Months:
"Change the engine oil and engine oil filter."
  • Under the same "Vehicle Maintenance" (the slim menu)
  • On the left click "Fluids And Capacities"

Engine Oil with filter 3.8L (NOTE THIS SAYS 3.8L)
API certified 5W-20 engine oil, meeting the requirements of Chrysler material standard MS-6395. Refer to your oil filler cap for correct SAE Grade.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zoltar
From the Jeep.com website.
  • At the top, hover over "Owners" on the menu that drops down click on "Vehicle Quick Tips"
  • Select the Wrangler
  • Then click on "Vehicle Maintenance" (the slim menu)
  • On the left click "Maintenance Schedules"

8,000 Miles or 6 Months:
"Change the engine oil and engine oil filter."
  • Under the same "Vehicle Maintenance" (the slim menu)
  • On the left click "Fluids And Capacities"

Engine Oil with filter 3.8L (NOTE THIS SAYS 3.8L)
API certified 5W-20 engine oil, meeting the requirements of Chrysler material standard MS-6395. Refer to your oil filler cap for correct SAE Grade.
The jeep engine was made to use conventional oil. So save yourself some money and use conventional oil. You'll be just fine.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:44 PM
JK Super Freak

I wasn't a believer in synthetic oil either until now. Just did my first synthetic oil change at 45 k miles and it blew my mind. The jeep idles and runs smoother and I don't get that start up knock anymore. Runs like new again. Just my 2 pennies. ?
Old 10-21-2011, 05:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

My apologies in advance for high jacking...

but speaking of the '12 and oil changes, are there any "lube" grease fittings on the 2012? Just for kicks, were there any on any of the JK model years? I saw this question asked a while ago, but couldn't find it again.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:17 PM
JK Newbie

Ok, recommendations on oil? Amsoil, mobil 1, etc...
Have used royal purple for several years, over 300,000 miles on my sons Cherokee and still running strong. Love synthetic.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:30 PM
JK Jedi

I ran Royal Purple for awhile until for some reason the JK started using more than I thought it should. Switched to Mobil 1 and now it hardly uses any oil. I just changed it today at a little over 6k.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Ok time for Synthetic oil.. What brand / oil weight shall I use.

I ran the factory oil, changed at 2500 miles, replaced with conventional motor oil. I'm at 5000 now and am ready to switch to synthetic... What brand / weight shall I use? Thanks for your thoughts
Old 12-12-2011, 06:18 AM
JK Newbie

Ive always gone with mobil1 or penzoil platinum in my vehicles,except for occasionally using syn blends when Im broke. Really prob any brand of syn you buy is good stuff. Cant comment on amsoil and their extended drain oil, never felt good leaving oil in a crankcase that long. Anyone know who makes the store brand full syn? I know oreillys and walmart have their own, and peak came out with their own syn oil. Youd have to figure theres only a few companies making oil and putting it in different bottles, much as the oil filters are. For weight I would just go with whatever the recommended weight is, 5w20 I believe?
Old 12-12-2011, 06:24 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by just JK'n
I wasn't a believer in synthetic oil either until now. Just did my first synthetic oil change at 45 k miles and it blew my mind. The jeep idles and runs smoother and I don't get that start up knock anymore. Runs like new again. Just my 2 pennies. ?
Same exact thing here except I'm around 30k
Old 12-12-2011, 06:35 AM
JK Freak

I ran the factory oil, changed at 2500 miles, replaced with conventional motor oil. I'm at 5000 now and am ready to switch to synthetic... What brand / weight shall I use? Thanks for your thoughts
I run Mobil one ep in both my jeep and car and love it. It's proven to last 15000 miles so it with handle 8000 miles or 6 months without a problem. I did my first change at 600 miles and glad I did I found some small pinhead shavings in my fliter but that's expected.

Quick Reply: 2012 1st oil change; oil recommendations?