Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2011 Wipers - Did you know

Old 01-18-2011, 09:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Wipers - Did you know

Not sure about 2010's and back, but I noticed today (drizzly raining day) that the 2011 intermittent wipers are 'speed sensitive'.

At very low speeds (seems like 5mph or less - and stopped) the intermittent wipers reduce the delay. I've had cars in the past that had it, and those that didn't. I always like the feature as it prevents 'dry wipes' when little moisture is on the glass due to being stopped or moving very slowly.

With a Jeep this is an even nicer feature due to the nearly vertical windshield.

Glad to see some engineer/programmer made good use of all the (sometimes hated) computer controls our rigs have.

How bout previous model years? Was this feature included in pre 2011's as well? I don't recall seeing this listed as a feature in my owners manual but any good salesman would put it in their cache of 'features that should make you want to buy this Jeep today'. Just look at what VW is doing with their new Jetta. An entire commercial is currently running touting the Jetta's ability to cut the ignition, unlock the doors and turn on the hazard signals in the event of an accident. According to the owners manual my Jeep does that too - although I hope I never have to witness those features in action.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Interesting. I'll have to play with this tomorrow. Never really paid close enough attention on my 2011.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems like my 2010 does this. I've noticed it at the lowest intermittant setting waiting for a light. I suppose now I'll have to have a passenger stopwatch it to verify. I'll post the results if I get a chance to time it.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by phantomandy
Not sure about 2010's and back, but I noticed today (drizzly raining day) that the 2011 intermittent wipers are 'speed sensitive'.

At very low speeds (seems like 5mph or less - and stopped) the intermittent wipers reduce the delay. I've had cars in the past that had it, and those that didn't. I always like the feature as it prevents 'dry wipes' when little moisture is on the glass due to being stopped or moving very slowly.

With a Jeep this is an even nicer feature due to the nearly vertical windshield.

Glad to see some engineer/programmer made good use of all the (sometimes hated) computer controls our rigs have.

How bout previous model years? Was this feature included in pre 2011's as well? I don't recall seeing this listed as a feature in my owners manual but any good salesman would put it in their cache of 'features that should make you want to buy this Jeep today'. Just look at what VW is doing with their new Jetta. An entire commercial is currently running touting the Jetta's ability to cut the ignition, unlock the doors and turn on the hazard signals in the event of an accident. According to the owners manual my Jeep does that too - although I hope I never have to witness those features in action.
Not being a smart a$$ 'cuz I didn't know this either, but found this in the manual:

NOTE: The wiper delay times depend on vehicle speed.
If the vehicle is moving less than 10 mph (16 km/h),
delay times will be doubled.

On page 155 of the pdf manual. Good catch.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SwampThing
Not being a smart a$$ 'cuz I didn't know this either, but found this in the manual:

NOTE: The wiper delay times depend on vehicle speed.
If the vehicle is moving less than 10 mph (16 km/h),
delay times will be doubled.

On page 155 of the pdf manual. Good catch.
Cool - thanks for the catch. I've read mine from cover to cover and must have bounced over this. Sure enough - on the page following the description of Intermittent is that little NOTE:

I think I missed that as I got caught up on the WARNING! on the next page:

From the manual (something I didn't know before):
WARNING!
Sudden loss of visibility through the windshield
could lead to a collision. You might not see other
vehicles or other obstacles. To avoid sudden icing of
the windshield during freezing weather, warm the
windshield with defroster before and during windshield
washer use.
Makes me hum the Heywood Banks song 'Wiper Blades'

Of course I should share the lyrics for those of you that have never heard the song. First time I hear this song was on a winter drive to college one day in my 98 Wrangler - coincidentally low on washer fluid...

Listen over here: ht p://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI8UwI3yf6U
Old 01-20-2011, 04:50 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2008 definitely does not have this and I wish it did.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:46 AM
JK Freak

Who uses wiper blades? My 07 wipers have been thru hell and back
Old 01-20-2011, 10:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EzK
My 2008 definitely does not have this and I wish it did.
x2...
Old 01-25-2011, 11:42 AM
JK Freak

I confirmed today that my 2010 has this although its nowhere in the manual. On the slowest setting while stopped I could count to 30 between wipes, on the highway I could only count to 15.

Quick Reply: 2011 Wipers - Did you know