Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2011 rubicon or sport?????

Old 03-14-2011, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rubicon!

But that's my preference. Look at the build sheets and compare them to your MODS. Maybe with the Rubicon or Sahara you'd do less Mods...or maybe with Sport you wouldn't be wasting money on builds you are gonna change anyway.

For me, with the Rubicon I have to do less mods...but I'm using my Jeep for things like going Elk hunting in Colorado and doing a lot of backwoods camping/hiking.

Would I like to go to Moab and do a Project JK?...Hell Yeah! But seriously doubt it...
Old 03-14-2011, 03:35 PM
JK Newbie

Rubicon for sure.

I debated both and priced it both ways. It's just a hell of a lot easier to buy a Rubicon and have the parts already there. Not to mention the parts that are warranted and there are a lot off little parts the rubi has that you may not be thinking about too. Like the already mentioned transfer case, rock rails, better wheels and tires, lockers, sway disconnect, better sound stuff, and so on.

I don't regret it at all....I love my 2011 Rubi.

Last edited by redmike; 03-14-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:53 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Berts JK
I will upgrade the sport with front G2 Dana 44 w/ARB air locker 5:13 gears (rear will also get locker and gears). Just cant decide..
Pretty sure those G2 axles are not for the JK. If you want to go aftermarket, you are looking at $4200 or so for the base Dynatrac PR44, that will re-use your d30 outers. If you upgrade to ProSteers and RCV's, add another thousand.

Between a PR and the stock rubi axle, the PR wins hands down. If you want better tcase gearing, an atlas walks all over the 4:1 rubi tcase. The other big selling point of a rubi is the e-disco. It is a toy for the soccer moms, just slap on some JKS or TF discos. 32" MT's? They are getting trashed for your new tires. Rubi e-lockers? Problem prone and extremely expensive to replace - ARB's are much better. The 4.10 gears? Replaced. The big RUBICON stickers on the hood? Probably the only thing 'rubicon' that you will keep. Well worth the extra money, right?

Last edited by nthinuf; 03-14-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rubicon - This jeep is the only one with two lockers and the best T-case offered. That doesn't include what you can make selling the old Rubicon parts as you go through the uprade process. I made some good money off my original tires and wheel and my rock rails.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark
Well you already have the smartest part done- A PLAN! This type of post has been dont over and over again, and the first thing is ask them is, "what do you want to do with your Jeep?"

you know what direction you want and your budget to get there. You're ten fold up on most people pre-buying of their Jeep. I bought an 07 X and have never looked back. I enjoy building it my way and only adding the stuff i want. I have never cared about power windows and locks, 18's, a navi that doesnt work all the time(from what i hear), nor cared about rock rails that arent really rock rails. If thats stuff you want, then get a rubi. But if your wanting to build it stronger than a rubi, you'd only be wasting your money on one.

Main questrions:
1)what do you WANT that rubi has and X doesnt? (add up the cost)
2)Can you get USED ones cheaper?(add up the cost)
3)Can you buy BETTER aftermarket parts instead?(add up the cost)
4)Compair cost(obviously)

No matter what way you go. With your budget i'm sure you will be able to build what youre looking for. Just plan plan plan. Break it, then rebuild!!
well said the fir the advise.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Pretty sure those G2 axles are not for the JK. If you want to go aftermarket, you are looking at $4200 or so for the base Dynatrac PR44, that will re-use your d30 outers. If you upgrade to ProSteers and RCV's, add another thousand.

Between a PR and the stock rubi axle, the PR wins hands down. If you want better tcase gearing, an atlas walks all over the 4:1 rubi tcase. The other big selling point of a rubi is the e-disco. It is a toy for the soccer moms, just slap on some JKS or TF discos. 32" MT's? They are getting trashed for your new tires. Rubi e-lockers? Problem prone and extremely expensive to replace - ARB's are much better. The 4.10 gears? Replaced. The big RUBICON stickers on the hood? Probably the only thing 'rubicon' that you will keep. Well worth the extra money, right?

i know G2 doesnt make an axle right now but i called them and they will be out in a few months so if i order my jeep that takes 12 weeks if i have to wait a month or two i will but thx for the coments
Old 03-14-2011, 11:27 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Update us with what you find out about the JK G2's. I am curious to know if they are actually building the housings, and if so, what the specs are. Or are they just factory 44's with upgraded internals? (several other companies are already doing this)

If it is their own upgraded housing, and if they can keep the price down near the non-jk versions, this will be a big seller!!

Quick Reply: 2011 rubicon or sport?????