Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2011 Mirrors

Old 11-18-2010, 08:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Mirrors

do they need to b drilled? or has that issue been delt with in the new model?
Old 11-18-2010, 08:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SpyD JEEP
do they need to b drilled? or has that issue been delt with in the new model?
I dont know about that but i have a question about them also. when you take the doors off how does that work? as ive seen they are auto now. You can control them with a switch.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sevn86
I dont know about that but i have a question about them also. when you take the doors off how does that work? as ive seen they are auto now. You can control them with a switch.
obviosly once the doors are off, you dont need them, aftermarket mirrors would b manual. just like the power windows, once the wiring harness is diconected, the switch controls nothing but could b fun to f**k with peoples minds as the switches are still functional without the doors
Old 11-19-2010, 04:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I haven't seen the new mirrors up close, but unless they redesigned them, I would say you are going to have the same issue as before.

And they are power now? Really? I thought my power windows / locks were bad. How is that going to work if you want to relocated them off of the doors? Now, you are going to have to run wires out to them. Or, just loose the power function altogether........

Anthony
Old 11-19-2010, 05:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default I have a 2011

So far, I haven't seen the need to drill a small hole for drainage. I have noticed the lower edge appears to be angled down, but not sure if that's different from 2010's.

The mirrors are power, which is nice IMO. My plan when I take my doors off is to put on some inexpensive aftermarket ones I picked up from Autozone. I still haven't mounted them yet, it got too cool to drop the doors and top. But it's a simple task.

Hope this helps. PM me if you have any questions or want pics.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:08 AM
JK Freak

I've washed the jeep 2 times now and haven't noticed the trails of water from the mirror base that the older models had. I guess we will see once it's old enough for debris to get in there. The power mirrors are nice, they are in the same loom as the windows and locks so there is no extra wiring. I too will be using cheap autozone mirrors when the doors come off.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly... my 08 I set the mirrors the first day I got it and have not had to touch the mirrors since... they are solid as a rock so unless switching drivers you need to mess with the mirrors I dont see why they needed to put power mirrors in.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:22 PM
JK Freak

Default X2

Originally Posted by brandonbooth
Honestly... my 08 I set the mirrors the first day I got it and have not had to touch the mirrors since... they are solid as a rock so unless switching drivers you need to mess with the mirrors I dont see why they needed to put power mirrors in.

Amen! For God's sake it's a Jeep. I too have adjusted my mirrors once when I first brought it home. Even my wife drives the thing with the mirrors as they are.

The only thing I think they could have done with the mirrors to IMPROVE them is to mount them from the factory on the windshield posts where they belong on Jeeps. Then we wouldn't have the mirror issue when pulling doors off.

I'm considering pulling out the welder and fabricating up some custom windshield mounted mirrors and losing the door mounts.

B.S.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too set the mirrors the day I bought the jeep, wish I could have got my rubi without power windows and locks. imagine power mirrors in a jeep.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I don't think power mirrors were needed. In 2007 I had to still grasp the notion of power windows and locks but now that seems worth it. Not mirrors though. Maybe heated seats cause I always loved the top off when it was colder than most like it. I would sometimes blast the floor heat with the top off when it was 40-50 degrees but thats cause I'm silly and love the open sky above me.

They should include a set of windshield mount mirrors with all soft top purchases.

I would have thought someone from Chrysler should have peaked at these forums in the last few years and noticed the drainage mirror issue and corrected it.

Quick Reply: 2011 Mirrors