Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2011 Diesel Wrangler Question

Old 12-17-2009, 05:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Diesel Wrangler Question

So I have been doing to research into the new engine. It is listed as a "Start-Stop" engine. I understand this as the engine turns off when the vehilce is stopped:

http://green.autoblog.com/2009/11/04...op-in-q4-2010/

How does that work say at a red light? I'm diesel illiterate
Old 12-17-2009, 05:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like it is similar to a gas golf cart.. probably would be good for daily driving.. would be nice if it had a disable for offroading though.. you dont want the engine to cut out when you are trying to decide what you next move on a trail will be..
Old 12-17-2009, 05:53 AM
JK Junkie

Sounds like they are trying really hard to get the diesel to be allowed in the states (strict emissions crap on diesels). I wouldn't want that on my vehicle however. Diesels hardly burn anything while idling, takes extremely little fuel. Having to work my battery/starter at every stop light could not be good for longevity.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:18 AM
JK Freak

I havent read the article but it seems like the engine starts automatically when you hit the gas. kind of like the hybrid vehicles.

so i think the starter motor isnt used to restart it when it cuts off at lights..

not sure if that makes sense?
Old 12-17-2009, 08:23 AM
JK Newbie

Default Diesel

The heavy duty trucking industry has been dealing with emissions for years. Some of the technology is outstanding. Some engine manufactures are claiming the air coming out of the exhaust will be cleaner than the air coming into the engine. This can be accomplished with a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter (it’s already in diesel pick-ups)), recalculating the exhaust, and SCR technology (uses an ammonia based liquid / urea). The catch is finding a place to put all of this stuff (large filter and a small tank for the urea) and not damaging the DPF. The DPF is a ceramic filter that can be easily broken. So, if we see a diesel JEEP, expect to spend some $$$ on a new type of skid plate.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Does that mean no stick on the diesel?
Old 12-17-2009, 02:36 PM
JK Freak

i could see this bein a problem... say you are waiting to pull out for traffic.. it cuts off.. bam u get rear ended
Old 12-21-2009, 04:34 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
Sounds like they are trying really hard to get the diesel to be allowed in the states (strict emissions crap on diesels). I wouldn't want that on my vehicle however. Diesels hardly burn anything while idling, takes extremely little fuel. Having to work my battery/starter at every stop light could not be good for longevity.
Gas kill the planet, and diesel kill the people. There's nothing perfect.
Walk just one day in Paris (France); diesel sucks
I can't imagine diesel cars in NYC or in San Francisco
Good decision of your country...

Last edited by Yoda; 12-21-2009 at 04:37 PM.

Quick Reply: 2011 Diesel Wrangler Question