Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2010 JK suddenly goes into a spin

Old 08-16-2024, 08:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 JK suddenly goes into a spin

Driving to work on damp pavement yesterday, everything was fine until I get on the on ramp to the right. About a quarter of the way up, my Jeep goes into a hard spin to the right. After a complete 360 and then some, I came to a stop. I thought I had a possible flat tire but that was not the case. After calming myself down, I started it back up and continued the rest of the way up the ramp and down the highway. When driving home, I took the back roads just in case. It seemed as though it was about to occur again at speeds more than 45. (It may have been my paranoia) But when I turned eight into my driveway, I noticed a lot of give in my steering. So I backed out and went forward again while turning the wheel. There seemed to be a lot of give in the steering wheel before it actually turned the tires. This has not been as issue prior so I am looking for advice before I throw money away to find the possible issue.
Old 08-17-2024, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 400 Likes on 375 Posts

Welcome to JK Forum. Good you didn't go off road and no damage. Before any suggestions' your ride is 14 years old. .. What have you inspected, checked with the suspension and steering; there are many possibles.From steering gear worn and binding to wear to drag link, ball joints, tie rods.. Before investing $,,, do a thorough Check of all front end components. Keep the forum updated on your findings.
Old 08-17-2024, 09:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay2013jk
Welcome to JK Forum. Good you didn't go off road and no damage. Before any suggestions' your ride is 14 years old. .. What have you inspected, checked with the suspension and steering; there are many possibles.From steering gear worn and binding to wear to drag link, ball joints, tie rods.. Before investing $,,, do a thorough Check of all front end components. Keep the forum updated on your findings.
I haven't had to replace anything on it as of yet. (Knock on wood) It's been very reliable since purchasing it 7yrs ago. I will start with those things mentioned and keep the forum posted. Thank you.
Old 08-18-2024, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 400 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbutcher2975
I haven't had to replace anything on it as of yet. (Knock on wood) It's been very reliable since purchasing it 7yrs ago. I will start with those things mentioned and keep the forum posted. Thank you.
BTW, How are the Brakes, any grabbing or sign of a possible caliper piston sticking?
Old 08-20-2024, 09:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Start under the hood with the sector (steering) shaft. Open the hood and have someone turn the wheel back and forth, engine off. Follow the sector shaft down to the steering box, and you should be 1-for-1 movement between it and the pitman arm on the bottom of the shaft (or close to it). From there follow it down from the pitman arm, through the drag link to the passenger side balljoint on the knuckle. Follow the tie rod from the there over to the driver side knuckle. All that should be 1-for-1 movement. Putting your hand over the balljoints will help you feel any play.

But for it to cause you to wreck out of the blue, you've got more than simple steering issues. You have MAJOR issues. Do not drive it until you've found the source. Post some pictures of underneath your vehicle if you can.

Last edited by cartoscro; 08-20-2024 at 09:40 AM.

Quick Reply: 2010 JK suddenly goes into a spin