Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2009 Model Speculation

Old 08-21-2008, 03:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 2009 Model Speculation

New vehicle specs are typically announced in the fall, but Jeep has been pretty tight-lipped so far about upcoming model features.

We are currently right in the midst of the dreaded summer doldrums; a time when there are no new vehicle announcements coming out of Jeep corporate headquarters. Why? Because Jeep is busy tooling-up their manufacturing and production lines to crank out the oh-nines. Mum's the word coming out of the Toledo Ohio plant, and factory workers must keep their mouths zipped, less the latest blog rumors be all over the net in a heartbeat.

Speaking of the net, if you Google "2009 Jeep", you are beset by links that have nothing to do with the upcoming models. Oh sure, you may see some "speculative" new-model release info based on last year's car-shows, but nothing solid to gnash your teeth in. Dealers have no clue what the 2009 models hold in store either, though the rumor mill is certainly ripe for the picking. You can't even order a 2009 model yet because specs have not been released to dealers. Below I will rate and review the rumors, and give you my two cents worth... I'm probably wrong, but that is why they call it speculation.

Scrambler:
This seems like a such an awesome idea.... Old Jeep stalwarts have been demanding this for years, and it seems about due-time to enliven the jeep line-up with some eggs, peppers and bacon. get it? Scrambler? I slay me.
Chance of seeing one in 2009: 5%

Gladiator Pick-up:
When I saw this concept car, I was blown away! But the back seat area looks way too small to be useful for passengers. Still, I always seem to be in need of a Pick-up...
Chance of seeing one in 2009: 30%
Chance of seeing one in 2010: 31%

Wrangler Unlimited with 3.0-liter CRD V-6 turbodiesel option
I was convinced I would buy a JK wrangler in 2008, but then gas crunch hit, and suddenly I was caught like a deer in the headlights... that and the fact that my money was being slowly sucked into the never-ending home renovation, but that is another story altogether. I was hoping Jeep would offer the 3.0-liter CRD V-6 turbodiesel available on the Grand Cherokee as and option for the underpowered Wrangler Unlimited, that my fiends would be a deal sealer. Up until this point, Jeep has teased Jeep aficionados with diesel offerings, but none in the Wranglers. Sure you can drop the swag for a an aftermarket conversion, but not many can afford the price.

Chance of seeing one in 2009: 15%

The Green Jeep Hybrid Electric Vehicle
This seems like such a no-brainer that jeep should seriously develop.
Chance of seeing one in 2010: 50%

Commander killed off?
I test drove a 2007 commander, and loved it. I hope it survives.
Chance of seeing one in 2009: 50%
Chance of seeing one in 2010: 20%

Compass killed off?
The 2008 Jeep Compass was a real dud. Jeep Sales Figures suggest that their is yet life to be breathed into this sector. Lets hope they do some serious body restyling or something.
Chance of seeing one in 2009: 90%

2008 was not exactly a banner year for Jeep, so it will be interesting to see what 2009 has in store.

Last edited by drcre8tive; 08-25-2008 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, here is what I know already. There are no new models for 2009 or the forseeable future. The JT pick-up is the only thing really on the horizon, but it's anyone's guess when or if.

- A hybrid Grand Cherokee would be possible after 2011 when the new generation starts. I spectulate that the 3.0CRD will be gone at that time to. I really don't think it will ever be in a Wrangler.
- 2009 IS the Commander's last year of production.
- The Compass should last for at least one more year.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:42 PM
JK Freak

as far as wrangler go... there are people who have already purchased the 09s and snapped many pics to show us here from ones they've seen at the dealer.... they are the same with a few minor differences, like a net on the lower panel below the heater controls, relocated rear tow hook, a few new colors, etc etc.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:02 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Since the '09 models are already on the road, I think we pretty much already know what's comin cause it's already here.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:09 PM
JK Freak

Talking

I think he's kidding...

Last edited by Dubya; 08-21-2008 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:17 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by drcre8tive
New vehicle specs are typically announced in the fall, but Jeep has been pretty tight-lipped so far about upcoming model features.

We are currently right in the midst of the dreaded summer doldrums; a time when there are no new vehicle announcements coming out of Jeep corporate headquarters. Why? Because Jeep is busy tooling-up their manufacturing and production lines to crank out the oh-nines. Mum's the word coming out of the Toledo Ohio plant, and factory workers must keep their mouths zipped, less the latest blog rumors be all over the net in a heartbeat.

Speaking of the net, if you Google "2009 Jeep", you are beset by links that have nothing to do with the upcoming models. Oh sure, you may see some "speculative" new-model release info based on last year's car-shows, but nothing solid to gnash your teeth in. Dealers have no clue what the 2009 models hold in store either, though the rumor mill is certainly ripe for the picking. You can't even order a 2009 model yet because specs have not been released to dealers. Below I will rate and review the rumors, and give you my two cents worth... I'm probably wrong, but that is why they call it speculation.

Scrambler:
This seems like a such an awesome idea.... Old Jeep stalwarts have been demanding this for years, and it seems about due-time to enliven the jeep line-up with some eggs, peppers and bacon. get it? Scrambler? I slay me.
Chance of seeing one in 2009: 5%

Gladiator Pick-up:
When I saw this concept car, I was blown away! But the back seat area looks way too small to be useful for passengers. Still, I always seem to be in need of a Pick-up...
Chance of seeing one in 2009: 30%
Chance of seeing one in 2010: 31%

Wrangler Unlimited with 3.0-liter CRD V-6 turbodiesel option
I was convinced I would buy a JK wrangler in 2008, but then gas crunch hit, and suddenly I was caught like a deer in the headlights... that and the fact that my money was being slowly sucked into the never-ending home renovation, but that is another story altogether. I was hoping Jeep would offer the 3.0-liter CRD V-6 turbodiesel available on the Grand Cherokee as and option for the underpowered Wrangler Unlimited, that my fiends would be a deal sealer. Up until this point, Jeep has teased Jeep aficionados with diesel offerings, but none in the Wranglers. Sure you can drop the swag for a an aftermarket conversion, but not many can afford the price.

The Green Jeep Hybrid Electric Vehicle
This seems like such a no-brainer that jeep should seriously develop.
Chance of seeing one in 2010: 50%

Commander killed off?
I test drove a 2007 commander, and loved it.
Chance of seeing one in 2009: 50%
Chance of seeing one in 2010: 20%

Compass killed off?
The 2008 Jeep Compass was a real dud. Jeep Sales Figures suggest that their is yet life to be breathed into this sector. Lets hope they do some serious body restyling or something.
Chance of seeing one in 2009: 90%

2008 was not exactly a banner year for Jeep, so it will be interesting to see what 2009 has in store.
Not sure how you're getting your percentages, but the 2009 Wranglers are out, on lots, and in peoples drive-ways. The modest changes offered are well documented and can be found in the forums. As for the Diesel, it is in Wranglers overseas, so shouldn't be a big deal getting it up and running here, just a matter of meeting compliance and having a market for it. I think the JT is a real possibility, but not until at least 2010. As for a larger, full-size Jeep pick-up, don't hold your breath, as the market is plummeting. That said, the Dodge Power Wagon has a solid future for the next few years, and I guess you could see a Jeep variant off that platform.

I think the Commander is dead around 2010 ( I believe this has been announced), but should be around for 2009. The Compass has been a failure, but the Patriot has been selling strong (off the same platform), I suspect they will shift their focus there. As for Hybrids, everyone is doing it, so will Jeep. I'd be surprised to see anything before 2010.

Last edited by pearl-drum-man; 08-22-2008 at 02:25 AM.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:07 PM
JK Freak

Default Sorry for any inaccuracies

To all:

I wrote the above post awhile back, (before I bought my jeep) but I decided to post it anyway.... Sorry for any inaccuracies. I am a jeep newbie and just excited to be a part of all this.... (the percentages are pure fantasy), I'll try to be more realistic in future posts.

Here is my inspiration...

I went to custom order a jeep from a local dealer, and was told by the salesman that I was a week late to place a custom order... (too bad they didn't mention that when I was in the showroom a month earlier talking about placing a custom order -go figure -live and learn). At any rate, he said that the info about the 2009 models would not be out until the fall; therefore I decided to wait so that I could order the EXACT set-up I wanted.

So I started digging around online for more info... I was struck at how little information there was about the 2009 models. The dealer I went to had no idea what options would be available in 09. They said they would search other Gulf South dealers for vehicles that matched my criteria, (Rubicon/Standard transmission), but they never called me back. I ended up finding the Rubicon/Standard transmission configuration I wanted ON MY OWN at another dealer by chance, 5 miles away. I bought it last month. It Rocks!

I still don't think any Dealers in the Gulf South have any 09 Wranglers yet... do they seed some dealers with early model releases?
Old 08-26-2008, 04:05 AM
JK Freak

Talking Most salesman know crap about Jeeps

Originally Posted by drcre8tive
To all:

I wrote the above post awhile back, (before I bought my jeep) but I decided to post it anyway.... Sorry for any inaccuracies. I am a jeep newbie and just excited to be a part of all this.... (the percentages are pure fantasy), I'll try to be more realistic in future posts.

Here is my inspiration...

I went to custom order a jeep from a local dealer, and was told by the salesman that I was a week late to place a custom order... (too bad they didn't mention that when I was in the showroom a month earlier talking about placing a custom order -go figure -live and learn). At any rate, he said that the info about the 2009 models would not be out until the fall; therefore I decided to wait so that I could order the EXACT set-up I wanted.

So I started digging around online for more info... I was struck at how little information there was about the 2009 models. The dealer I went to had no idea what options would be available in 09. They said they would search other Gulf South dealers for vehicles that matched my criteria, (Rubicon/Standard transmission), but they never called me back. I ended up finding the Rubicon/Standard transmission configuration I wanted ON MY OWN at another dealer by chance, 5 miles away. I bought it last month. It Rocks!

I still don't think any Dealers in the Gulf South have any 09 Wranglers yet... do they seed some dealers with early model releases?

There's nothin wrong with bein' a Jeep noob! A Honda noob might be another story...

One thing you have probably learned by now tho, is that the dealers (in general, of course) are completely full of shit. Check out the thread on "stupid stuff the dealer has said". There's some serious comedy (of errors) in there.

Case in point: I took this pic last week at one dealer-

Called the dealer about 15 miles away to see if he had any 09's yet. The guy says, no- they won't be out till late September or somethime in October. I says, "man, they got a passel of em down the street. I even test drove." Guy says, no, they ain't out yet. You must have test drove an 08 and they TOLD you it was an 09 to trick you.

WTF man! Talk about denial. I told him to call the other dealer, that they even had the new colors etc. At that point one of them huge viens started pulsin in his forehead...

Anyway, today's lesson is: The dealer don't know Jack!
Old 08-26-2008, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I totally agree. Most of the time Dealers do not know nearly as much as "Jeepaholics" like us.

I found myself arguing with a sales manager at my old local dealership in Toronto about what axle was under the JK. He was convinced that it was fully independent and that was what made the Wrangler so capable. I had show him a pic of one of his own brochures of the underneath of the JK and explain to him what independent vs solid axle suspension was.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:39 PM
JK Newbie

IT's the oil stupid.

Not to mean your stupid, just a reality of life. 4 dollars a gallon people are going poor.
3 even 2.50 life is great.

What doesn't surprise me, is no quick jump to something, i.e. diesel.
Cherokee has one, Wrangler doesn't. What is the cost difference.
Let the consumer decide.

Does Chrysler really think with high fuel prices they are going to sell anymore of the same
I know for a fact, because I pass the dealership everyday, there are still 08's sitting
what average person is going to buy a vehicle that says 15/19.

Only people who can afford it. I was my dearlership today getting a free oil change,
neither the guy in svc, or the original salesman, could afford a Rubi.
If the fuel price does not drop at least another buck. Well who is buying a wrangler.
Except dedicated Jeepers.

2007-2009 with nothing no changes, Chrysler is bending us over.

They should reduce the wrangler production in half, and start procducing the gladiator,
at least that baby would hit mid 20's.

If the oil stays above 4 bucks, I predict in another year, Chryslers demise.

I say It's the Oil stupid, because someone once ran on It's the economy.

One side will not let us drill, the other one says go for it. Who will you vote for.

Quick Reply: 2009 Model Speculation