Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2009 JK Oil Consumption Problem

Old 08-17-2020, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 JK Oil Consumption Problem

I was searching posts about oil consumption problems but didn't really see any answers I was looking for.
A little bit of back story, I have a 2009 JK with the lifetime power train warranty 3.8 V6. I took my jeep into the dealer for a recall and had about 45000 miles on the jeep at the time. I let the service advisor know that I was seeing an oil consumption issue and he said that less than 1 quart over 1000 miles was considered normal. I now am seeing over 1 quart every 1000 miles and took it back into the service department for a test. I am also getting check engine codes being set because of this problem, catalytic converter and EGR sensor. They verified that it was burning 1 quart every 1000 miles and said that I would have to contact Chrysler to get the repair done. I contacted a Chrysler rep and they in turn contacted the service department to schedule a repair. The jeep has been at the dealer for over a week and I called today to get progress on the repair and the service advisor said that I need to do another oil consumption test. I called Chrysler and talked to another Rep and they are now giving me a run around saying that I have to follow a process to verify that it is burning oil but can't tell me what that process is because she said they don't know the process? Mean while the dealer has started sending me letters wanting me to trade in my Jeep for a "special" deal.

So my questions are - Has anyone successfully had the oil consumption issue fixed under the lifetime warranty and if so what "process" had to be done before the dealer and Chrysler agreed to fix this known problem? Also did they let you know exactly what they found when the fixed the problem.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 406 Likes on 381 Posts

OK.. on the letters to trade in - this is usual marketing by dealerships when they have a vehicle in for service that is a candidate for a new vehicle.
Now for the Oil consumption test. You have the dealer change the oil and filter, documenting the miles.. Then as you check the oil levels when you find it at the ADD oil mark on the dipstick; you return to the dealership and the service dept must verify that it is at the ADD mark, document the miles and they Add oil to bring it back to the full mark. This test usually goes for 2-3 thousand miles to validate. At least that is what the test was 10 years ago. Don't know why they would not inform you of the test requirements. You have a 2009 so the warranty has expired - do you have a service contract that might be applicable?
Old 09-05-2020, 07:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Update with link

Originally Posted by JK44M
I was searching posts about oil consumption problems but didn't really see any answers I was looking for.
A little bit of back story, I have a 2009 JK with the lifetime power train warranty 3.8 V6. I took my jeep into the dealer for a recall and had about 45000 miles on the jeep at the time. I let the service advisor know that I was seeing an oil consumption issue and he said that less than 1 quart over 1000 miles was considered normal. I now am seeing over 1 quart every 1000 miles and took it back into the service department for a test. I am also getting check engine codes being set because of this problem, catalytic converter and EGR sensor. They verified that it was burning 1 quart every 1000 miles and said that I would have to contact Chrysler to get the repair done. I contacted a Chrysler rep and they in turn contacted the service department to schedule a repair. The jeep has been at the dealer for over a week and I called today to get progress on the repair and the service advisor said that I need to do another oil consumption test. I called Chrysler and talked to another Rep and they are now giving me a run around saying that I have to follow a process to verify that it is burning oil but can't tell me what that process is because she said they don't know the process? Mean while the dealer has started sending me letters wanting me to trade in my Jeep for a "special" deal.

So my questions are - Has anyone successfully had the oil consumption issue fixed under the lifetime warranty and if so what "process" had to be done before the dealer and Chrysler agreed to fix this known problem? Also did they let you know exactly what they found when the fixed the problem.
Have the dealership check your VIN for a "Porous Metal Timing Cover" TSB. Navigate to the TSB (technical service bulletin) section of this forum and find and print it out along with your warranty and take it in. Certain models were built with sub par porous metal timing covers that allow oil to seep out. Since the oil seeps out it never pools and therefore looks like it's being "consumed". I can attest that this IS covered under the ULPT warranty. You will be without wheels for a week or so while the dealership cusses you out and repairs it for no charge. Good luck and let me known if I can help.
If you go
here
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...ormation-2366/

and lookup the tsb for TSB - 3.8L Engine Oil Seepage Due To Front Timing Cover Surface Porosity which is tsb 09-008-07

Last edited by justinstoffregen; 09-05-2020 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your response. Well after 3 and a half months of dealing with the service center and Chrysler they finally came out and said that they will not honor the lifetime power train warranty. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. BMW was doing the same thing, selling engines with a known oil consumption problem and it took a class action law suit to get them to start fixing their customers problems. Probably something that needs to happen to Chrysler as well. I will just fix the problem myself so I don't have to deal with all the bullshit and lies anymore!
Old 10-31-2020, 07:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JK44M
Thanks for your response. Well after 3 and a half months of dealing with the service center and Chrysler they finally came out and said that they will not honor the lifetime power train warranty. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. BMW was doing the same thing, selling engines with a known oil consumption problem and it took a class action law suit to get them to start fixing their customers problems. Probably something that needs to happen to Chrysler as well. I will just fix the problem myself so I don't have to deal with all the bullshit and lies anymore!

Which lifetime warranty is it? The factory one like mine for my 2008 that they were giving all their cars at the time?

If it’s the factory one, have you done the required inspections every five years to keep the warranty valid?

Have you violated the warranty with certain modifications?

I recently had warranty work done using my lifetime warranty; both exhaust manifolds and an oil pan gasket leak. They’ll do my leaky transmission lines too when I find the time to take it in.

Quick Reply: 2009 JK Oil Consumption Problem