Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2008 JK Borla Exhaust - Disappointed by the Sound/Performance

Old 03-18-2015, 02:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Warpath66
yeah stick to what you are comfortable doing man. It's your rig. Just wanted to let you know that was an option.
I appreciate that.. It's def an option. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-18-2015, 02:16 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

It is very difficult to tell how a muffler will sound from a short sound clip. You don't have any idea what quality devices were used to make the recording, where recording levels were set, and you may even be listening to it on your phone or tablet or cheap computer speakers. How can anyone tell what they'll get from that? And, it's also very subjective how loud people even like their mufflers. One guy's "not the rumble I want" is another guy's "I hate the constant drone."

So, it is with a bit of trepidation that I offer this video. I recorded it along a paved stretch of backcountry road I take to my folk's house south of San Diego. Don't bother listening to it on your phone/table/computer. Play it on your living room TV and sound system. Anything less and you'll miss much of the exhaust notes. This is a quiet muffler--until you get into it. Then it doesn't roar excessively loud. But, listening to the sound reverberating off the canyons through which I was driving was definitely a pleasure compared to stock.

It is the Dominion Off-road/Jeep Swap muffler. It is expensive--all stainless steel. You'll also need to relocate your evaporative canister because that's where the new muffler goes. And the tailpipe is higher up and better protected. I like it a lot. This is a 3.8. Not sure if he's making one for the 3.6. About six months ago Brett was still working on it, and he indicated he'd make one if there was real interest. So, if interested, give him a call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A77-7i5DrpE

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 03-18-2015 at 02:19 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I guess I will come right out and say it. A catbak on a V6 is a waist of money The funds spent don't justify the tiny power gains. Borla makes an excellent product, they shouldn't even offer catbaks for a jeep, A V6 will never roar like a lion, cause it more like a mouse
Money is just better spent in other areas like suspension for a jeep

Last edited by ikaros; 03-18-2015 at 04:51 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ikaros
I guess I will come right out and say it. A catbak on a V6 is a waist of money The funds spent don't justify the tiny power gains. Borla makes an excellent product, they shouldn't even offer catbaks for a jeep, A V6 will never roar like a lion, cause it more like a mouse
Money is just better spent in other areas like suspension for a jeep
Thanks for your input.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Do you still have the old exhaust?
If so try contacting the store and see if they will exchange it for something else?
Maybe bigger tires, if your jeeps lifted maybe go after adjustable lower control arms, etc.
Certainly do why makes you happy, just don't seem like your happy with an exhaust upgrade on a NA V6?
If you had hemi conversion or a power adder like a blower or turbo it would be a different discussion.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ikaros
Do you still have the old exhaust?
If so try contacting the store and see if they will exchange it for something else?
Maybe bigger tires, if your jeeps lifted maybe go after adjustable lower control arms, etc.
Certainly do why makes you happy, just don't seem like your happy with an exhaust upgrade on a NA V6?
If you had hemi conversion or a power adder like a blower or turbo it would be a different discussion.
No, I don't have the old system. I replaced it with the Borla a few years ago. I just called Borla and they suggested I remove the resonator tube. I'm going to take it to my local exhaust shop today and see if that helps.

Quick Reply: 2008 JK Borla Exhaust - Disappointed by the Sound/Performance