Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2008 JK Borla Exhaust - Disappointed by the Sound/Performance

Old 03-17-2015, 05:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 JK Borla Exhaust - Disappointed by the Sound/Performance

I have a 2008 4DR JK that I swapped the exhaust out on a few years back. I put on a cat-back dual pipe Borla system... with the hopes that I'd at least get a "throatier" sound if not increased performance. Sadly, I have not noticed either. Was curious if there were any pointers you guys may be able to share (mods or replacements with different/better parts) that might help out.

Any thoughts or constructive comments are much appreciated!

Dan
Old 03-17-2015, 05:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I personally love the magnaflow cat back crawler exhaust.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Does yours have a resonator and then the muffler at the back?
Old 03-17-2015, 06:39 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the response! Yes, I do have the resonator. This is my exact system... I did my research, read tons of reviews... All signs pointed to a quality product... (That that is isnt)... It just didn't have the sound I was after.

Borla Performance 140459BC - BORLA T-304 Stainless Steel Cat-Back? Split Rear Exhaust with Black Chrome Tips for 12-15 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door with 3.6L Pentastar V6 Engine - Quadratec
Old 03-17-2015, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Borla makes a very good quality exhaust.
I have a borla catbak on my camaro and it sounds fantastic but my camaro is highly modified.
Here's the thing, your not going to get an 8 cylinder sound out of a 6 cylinder no matter what exhaust you put on.
Now you can get better sound than stock with a good exhaust but again, don't expect it to roar like lion.
Does your exhaust have the removable plates?
If it's a borla good chance it does.
Try the different plates and see which one you like best.
Tail pipe tip should unbolt and swap out plates until you find one you like.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

With my magnaflow I just have the resonator. I cut off the muffler to get more ground clearance in the back and to get rid of the nasty looking muffler. I just cut the pipe right above the axle. It sounds great, has a mean snort when you let off the pedal as well.
If you are willing to go that far to get more sound output. You could always get rid of the muffler.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al9zlo8wkjk Try that link and if it doesn't work search (magnaflow jeep jk exhaust (3.8))
That's a video of my jeep
Old 03-17-2015, 07:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ikaros
Borla makes a very good quality exhaust.
I have a borla catbak on my camaro and it sounds fantastic but my camaro is highly modified.
Here's the thing, your not going to get an 8 cylinder sound out of a 6 cylinder no matter what exhaust you put on.
Now you can get better sound than stock with a good exhaust but again, don't expect it to roar like lion.
Does your exhaust have the removable plates?
If it's a borla good chance it does.
Try the different plates and see which one you like best.
Tail pipe tip should unbolt and swap out plates until you find one you like.
Borla said the same thing when I called them about it a while back. I talked to the guy at my local 4x4 shop yesterday and he said that isn't true... Although he didn't offer any solutions either. He suggested headers, but said that may not change it. A buddy of mine had Borla on an old Firebird he had and it sounded great so I was aware of their high quality... Unfortunately, I have gotten no change in performance or sound over the stock system since I made the switch.

I'm not familiar with the removeable plates... It didn't come with anything extra, so I'm guessing it doesn't have that.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Warpath66
With my magnaflow I just have the resonator. I cut off the muffler to get more ground clearance in the back and to get rid of the nasty looking muffler. I just cut the pipe right above the axle. It sounds great, has a mean snort when you let off the pedal as well.
If you are willing to go that far to get more sound output. You could always get rid of the muffler.
Well I don't know that I'm willing to go that severe just yet... Was hoping for a different type of fix. I have been reading up on the metal malitia system and that seems to have good reviews as far as sound goes.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dchemnitz
Well I don't know that I'm willing to go that severe just yet... Was hoping for a different type of fix. I have been reading up on the metal malitia system and that seems to have good reviews as far as sound goes.
yeah stick to what you are comfortable doing man. It's your rig. Just wanted to let you know that was an option.

Quick Reply: 2008 JK Borla Exhaust - Disappointed by the Sound/Performance