Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2007 JK for $4,500....??

Old 07-29-2008, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyG
I googled ebay car scams and found an article for you. Here is part of that should answer your question:

1.One of the MOST DANGEROUS scams: I have recently looked for a BMW M5. The prices will run well above $15,000, at least. There was this guy with a relatively appealing feedback having a very legitimate auction with a reserve. HOWEVER, he had a note right in the text informing the interested buyers to contact him at his email address (it is always something weird and with numbers such as britanny777@yahoo.co.uk). The guys was asking $8,500 for a car that had a real retail value of a good 20K on the spot. Now to elaborate on this to get a better analysis:
A) Some people actually prefer to be contacted on their email addresses. Because they use programs like MS Outlook and do not want to log in eBay every so often. So do not consider everyone asking you to contact him or her on his or her email a crook. However, in this point I would like to point out the format of the email address. Scammers routinely use unusual names with combination with numbers, to make it harder for internet police to track them. So your first question should be aimed at the email address. But again, do not condemn it for good, i.e. my address is andcorp2006@yahoo.com. PLEASE REFER TO THE IMAGE
-B) This point deals with not just eBay, not just the Internet, but the entire reason beyond trade. You simply can not buy a car that retails at 20K for well under 10K. Why not? Because no one would sell it to you at that price. Why not? Because when I have a car that has a real market value of 20K, I can simply go to any dealership and they will pay me at least 60% of it, and that is the bottom price any one would offer to you. There are countless places where you can sell your stuff right now for hardcore cash, like pawnshops or dealerships, of course with some loss. But be real, especially with easily estimated items such as cars, electronics and a lot of other items, everyone will be seeking for the most money at the lowest level of endeavor. So why the heck would they not walk into the local dealership and get the cash and forget about anyone making any sorts of claim and instead pay for listings on eBay and then face PayPal fees, just in order to sell the car well under the price easily acquirable at the local dealership? AGAIN, LOOK AT THE PICTURE. The car pictured has a real value well over $10,000. Selling for $5,000? On vacation? Bad scam, avoid!
And something that just crossed my mind, why would anyone in their right mind sell a Jeep they could probably get at least $15,000.00+ for $4,500.00? Unless she is super rich and doesn't need the money, especially in this economy, there is SCAM written all over this deal!!!
Old 07-29-2008, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's a scam!!!

I just saw yesterday the same thing for a 2008 Toyota Hybrid.

If it was real why not drive to the first dealership and sell it there. They will be more that happy to take it off her hands for twice what she's asking.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by berg
Remember, if a deal sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

You're smart to ask questions.

I would never, NEVER!, buy a car from anybody anywhere without first seeing it myself in person.

I don't rely on strangers to help me spend my money.

I wouldn't do a deal for a large amount of money (such as $4500.00) without sitting across a table from the legal owner/ seller and seeing that all paperwork is correct and legal and that I can take the car with me at that time.

There is no room for BS in these matters. You can only get screwed if you don't follow these guidelines.
Now after saying all of that, I got a line on an 08 Rubicon in Nigeria.......
Old 07-29-2008, 10:25 AM
JK Junkie

Its a scam... They keep it cheap so you will send cash. If its above most will borrow or have to have a loan and they would have to provide a car to the bank. They want it quick and easy, usually under 5000. because people buying used cars will carry that amount in cash and no loan. They may even hit you up for more afet , because shipping cost were more or its getting lost, o just to get more out of you and they use EBAY to do it.

Car MAx will buy cars at low blue book and give you a check with no questions asked. easy as driving it in. Why go through the hassle of listing it your self......Its a scam....

Last edited by SGT.; 07-29-2008 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Howeecow
Well I have never really run across this but I have heard of stuff like this both ways. Either its really true or it's a big huge fake. But the fake ones have always been the buyer not coming through or saying they will pay extra. But I haven't heard of a scam where the seller is the one lowballing, unless she is going to add huge shipping costs or something, but she said she is taking the shipping costs and she only wants $4,500.

That's why I thought I would shot this out here...

I am not sure if I want her bringing it to a jeep dealer, they are just as big scam artists as a lot of people!

Your kidding yourself if you think this is a real deal. Only a angry wife of husband would do anything that stupid. She's neither just divorced. why wouldn't she just take it to a dealer and sell it? She surely will receive more. No hassle done deal for Her.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:08 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by berg
Now after saying all of that, I got a line on an 08 Rubicon in Nigeria.......

In Nigera LOL OK You know now that I think about it in those pictures of the jeep I did see Santa driving, the easter bunny and the geico lizard in the backseat and the tooth fairy riding shotgun!!!

Sooo.....after reading all this I totally agree with you guys.... everything points to it being a scam, that's why I originally posted about it.

I have never been part of one and I never got involved in one, so of course the sensible part of me was like YEAH RIGHT but if anyone knew you guys would!!

But wouldn't you all freak if it did turn out to be real!! Kidding!!
Old 07-29-2008, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs down Seen the same thing

I saw a similar ad on mlive.com (michigan online newspapers). a 2007 stick, low miles, only options were pw/pl. All for the low price of $9300. When I emailed the guy (gotta at least check it out), he said it was low miles, great shape, and the price is only $9000. Why would he lower the price after the ad had been in the paper for 2 days?? SCAM. As soon as I asked for a VIN so I could carfax it, the email's dried up. Same scenario, he was across the pond after a recent messy divorce and needed to get rid of it. It was at the shipping company, awaiting delivery.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by benmar2000
The only real deal I have ever seen was my cousin's buddy way back in the late 80's.. He saw an ad in the paper for a Corvette for $50.. He laughed at first but for the fun of it called the number.. It was one of those divorce things.. The wife was pissed off because her husband ran off with the secretary.. He showed up with $50 and she gave him a 3 year old vette with the title.. A year later my cousins buddy totalled it.. I guess that is what you get when a 19 year old buys a vette..
I remember reading somthing like that in the papers years ago.

$50.00 for a year old Caddi.

Turned out to be true.

That's why it made the papers. A deal like that is so rare it's news!
Old 07-29-2008, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

i actually went through the sane thing. found a 2007 unlimited with really low miles for extremely cheap, and it was even heavily modified. she gave me a very similar story to what you have. it was listed local to me but when i told her i would like to drive out and look at it, it was suddenly in a storage building owned by her company out in ohio. she insisted on ebay and refused to allow me to drive out to see it or give me her phone number. id say scam, but awesome if its not. i wonder if its the same jeep pictured as the one i looked at. do you have any pictures?
Old 07-29-2008, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

The ad that I saw showed a rescue green with soft top, had pick from 3 or 4 different angles and one of the interior. How about any of the other "alleged" scams?

Quick Reply: 2007 JK for $4,500....??