Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2007 JK for $4,500....??

Old 07-29-2008, 09:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 JK for $4,500....??

OK I might be a women, I know I am not stupid, but everyone here rocks and if there is a scam someone here is going to know it!!! So I am going to put this out to you guys!

Yesterday I was browsing Craigs List and came across an ad for a 07 JK unlimited for $4,500 with 11,000 miles on it.....

Ok so I bit knowing sometimes nasty divorces create really good deals!

The lady writes me back and said I just went through a divorce received the jeep in my divorce settlement and I don't want it, I just want to get rid of.

She said she has clear title, it's working, running, no damage, blah blah blah..

Then here is what I am leary about she said I will arrange for shipping. Ok I have heard of these shipping scams, but she said she wants to do the deal through ebay so we both have protection.

I wrote her back and said I will pick it up and give you a cashiers check and we can transfer title.... she hasn't written back yet but it's only been about a half hour or so.

So my question... anyone hear of a shipping scam using ebay, I googled shipping scams but I could only find like buyers offering more and then not coming through or overseas shipping scams. I couldn't find anything about Ebay shipping scams where the seller has the low price. (other than the overseas one)

Anyone ever heard of it, or had problems with same state shipping or title transfers or am I just being stupid (ok don't answer that literlly!!) and is this just way too good to be true?
Old 07-29-2008, 09:35 AM
JK Freak

doubt she will respond....I had the same deal with an 2001 S4 in my area... 50k miles... mint condition $7,000 i thought it was a steal considering New the S4 was about 43,000 bucks anyways since it was in my area i told the guy through email that id come look at it and pay cash...then he sent me an email back stating he was overseas and that he wanted to do it through ebay and he would ship me the car....(HOW STUPID IS THAT? SHIP ME A CAR THATS TWENTY MINUTES FROM MY HOUSE) anyways i finally just let it go because it was such a hassle and he just kept telling me to do it through ebay he was such an idioit

MAN I WANT AN S4
Old 07-29-2008, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default she is a piece of shit

every scam in the world has been done now they try and use ebay to make it sound safer if you would like you can fwd. her emails me to me marcoseddi@aol.com i have been in the online business for a while and always get these spook emails and crazy deals offered, if she wont give you her fone number or won't meet you shes a fake whore and i hate these people because they get you all excited and fuk you over
Old 07-29-2008, 09:50 AM
JK Newbie

Well I have never really run across this but I have heard of stuff like this both ways. Either its really true or it's a big huge fake. But the fake ones have always been the buyer not coming through or saying they will pay extra. But I haven't heard of a scam where the seller is the one lowballing, unless she is going to add huge shipping costs or something, but she said she is taking the shipping costs and she only wants $4,500.

That's why I thought I would shot this out here...

I am not sure if I want her bringing it to a jeep dealer, they are just as big scam artists as a lot of people!
Old 07-29-2008, 09:55 AM
JK Freak

my sister tried to get a used tj from california this way. it was 5,000 for an 04 sport with 22,000 miles. they kept wanting to do it on ebay as well. i was going to vegas in two weeks and offered to drive out and pay cash for the jeep and drive it back. the guy kept saying he would ship it to me and i could give him a credit card number on ebay. psh ok, like im gonna give a guy i never met my card number? anyone who refuses to meet you are accept cash for that matter is pulling a scam!
Old 07-29-2008, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

IT'S A SCAM!!!! She is probably overseas and there are tons of scams on Ebay with that. I hear about it all the time, especially with motorcycles. Don't send any money until you get proof there is really a Jeep and you are really getting it. You will lose your money. Use sense, do you really believe she got it in a bad divorce and is only selling it for $4500.? Why wouldn't her ex buy it from her or one of his friends for that price?
Old 07-29-2008, 10:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Remember, if a deal sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

You're smart to ask questions.

I would never, NEVER!, buy a car from anybody anywhere without first seeing it myself in person.

I don't rely on strangers to help me spend my money.

I wouldn't do a deal for a large amount of money (such as $4500.00) without sitting across a table from the legal owner/ seller and seeing that all paperwork is correct and legal and that I can take the car with me at that time.

There is no room for BS in these matters. You can only get screwed if you don't follow these guidelines.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:04 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TommyG
IT'S A SCAM!!!! She is probably overseas and there are tons of scams on Ebay with that. I hear about it all the time, especially with motorcycles. Don't send any money until you get proof there is really a Jeep and you are really getting it. You will lose your money. Use sense, do you really believe she got it in a bad divorce and is only selling it for $4500.? Why wouldn't her ex buy it from her or one of his friends for that price?
I wasn't going to send a dime to her, unless I was there in person and could see a clear title with her name on it!

Very true! Why isn't one of her friends or family buying it from her! I didn't think of that. I really don't think it's real.... if something is too good to be true it usually is, but I just had to ask everyone's opinion!
Old 07-29-2008, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I googled ebay car scams and found an article for you. Here is part of that should answer your question:

1.One of the MOST DANGEROUS scams: I have recently looked for a BMW M5. The prices will run well above $15,000, at least. There was this guy with a relatively appealing feedback having a very legitimate auction with a reserve. HOWEVER, he had a note right in the text informing the interested buyers to contact him at his email address (it is always something weird and with numbers such as britanny777@yahoo.co.uk). The guys was asking $8,500 for a car that had a real retail value of a good 20K on the spot. Now to elaborate on this to get a better analysis:
A) Some people actually prefer to be contacted on their email addresses. Because they use programs like MS Outlook and do not want to log in eBay every so often. So do not consider everyone asking you to contact him or her on his or her email a crook. However, in this point I would like to point out the format of the email address. Scammers routinely use unusual names with combination with numbers, to make it harder for internet police to track them. So your first question should be aimed at the email address. But again, do not condemn it for good, i.e. my address is andcorp2006@yahoo.com. PLEASE REFER TO THE IMAGE
-B) This point deals with not just eBay, not just the Internet, but the entire reason beyond trade. You simply can not buy a car that retails at 20K for well under 10K. Why not? Because no one would sell it to you at that price. Why not? Because when I have a car that has a real market value of 20K, I can simply go to any dealership and they will pay me at least 60% of it, and that is the bottom price any one would offer to you. There are countless places where you can sell your stuff right now for hardcore cash, like pawnshops or dealerships, of course with some loss. But be real, especially with easily estimated items such as cars, electronics and a lot of other items, everyone will be seeking for the most money at the lowest level of endeavor. So why the heck would they not walk into the local dealership and get the cash and forget about anyone making any sorts of claim and instead pay for listings on eBay and then face PayPal fees, just in order to sell the car well under the price easily acquirable at the local dealership? AGAIN, LOOK AT THE PICTURE. The car pictured has a real value well over $10,000. Selling for $5,000? On vacation? Bad scam, avoid!
Old 07-29-2008, 10:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

two words......not real

two words.....rip off

two words.....move on

two words......get it?

4 words............been there ...seen that.

2 words.....gooof balls

2 words.......shoot 'em

2 words........(xxxx) 'em

Quick Reply: 2007 JK for $4,500....??