Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

'12 vs '11

Old 07-08-2012, 05:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pwain
Not really sure what you hope a few extra horses will do for you?

You have a 6 speed. IMO the upgraded auto transmission is more important than the 3.6

Focus on getting your Jeep paid off and mod it. You would be amazed how much your mod funds will grow if you can get off the monthly payment routine.
I bought the jeep outright so I have no payments. If the 3.6 were only an extra 20-30 hps I wouldn't think about it, but 80 extra on a base of 200 is a pretty big leap. The manual definitely helps out with the 3.8 but if I had the better engine and the 6 speed, I think I'd be happier.

I was looking for a 12 jku rubi 6 speed at a dealer to test drive. No luck, theyre all autos. Do that many people not buy a jeep with a manual trans? I know it took my dealer a while to find my 11 rubi but I wanted a black and they had to track it down. I couldn't find a standard at 5 different dealers.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could go to the dealership and get a price on ordering one with same options so u get an idea on the price difference. If it is only a small amount than maybe consider it but imo I wouldnt spend much for the upgrade. The 3.8 engine works well with the manual trans especially w 4.1 or 3.73s. The pentastar is nice but the horsepower difference does not correlate to the real world difference. It has more power at high rpm which is not as useable. The bigger upgrade is with the engine and auto trans which does make a big difference compared to the old auto.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:05 PM
JK Freak

I couldn't find a '12 manual Rubi either. I was only able to test drive an automatic Pentastar. So, I ordered the JKUR manual (4:10) and when it arrived it was the first one I had driven.

After having it for about 600 miles, my impressions are this: I am enjoying the stick shift, but 6 gears are a lot of shifting. However, I am one who likes having more control over what gear I'm in, so that suites me just fine. Last week I drove Lake Tahoe and loved being able to coast down the mountain in 4th gear while the other drivers were burning their brakes down the hill. Up hill is the same, picked a gear I liked and pretty much stayed there; no automatic trans. shifting up and down repeatedly.

Having said all of that, if I were commuting daily and stuck in traffic, the automatic would be the way to go. Again, lots of gears and shifting.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:11 PM
JK Freak

You're right. That's where I notice the difference between my '09 and '12. Not in lower gears or speeds, but pick-up for entering the freeway or cruising at higher speeds. Mine is more of a daily driver, so that was what mattered for me. I was tired of my minivan engine powered JK toping out at 75 mph...like I was asking it to do 90.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Why not hold off on your mods until the 2013s are on the lot and you can get a better discount on a remaining 2012? I would think that right now is the worst time to buy a 2012.

Don't forget with a 2012 you have a chance (not sure how remote) to get one with a bad/ticking head, then have to wait forever for a repair since the part is on national back order. The 2013s are supposed to have the re-engineered heads. Of course no one knows for sure yet.

Either way your trade-in on a 2011 is going to hurt badly. Even though JKs have great resale, the dealer still only gives auction pricing on trades. Sucks, but it's how they keep the frosting on their cake. Best to sell it outright. Some dealers even let you bring your buyer with you to close the deal and they handle the paperwork for both parties, even going so far as to help your buyer with financing.

If you're set on trading it in, I've noticed locally that there are several MW3 units that have been there a while. The markups on special editions (or even highly-optioned Rubicons) would give you more room for discounts.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by JamesWyatt; 07-08-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

I enjoy my 2012... use it as a daily driver with a few days off periodically just to give it a rest. I test drove a 2010 JK back in Nov '11 and thought it was okay (then) but I didn't take it out on the freeway etc... (just side streets). My previous vehicle was a Nissan Titan Crew Cab which I thought was very torquey (sp?) and fairly fast (for a truck). Though I don't say my JKUR is 'as fast' I am very well pleased with its ability... especially like WendyJeepChick says... its great for getting on the freeway and keeping up with people or passing.

Like others have mentioned... depending upon your budget if you can afford it you won't be disappointed... but I'm not advocating anyone to put themself into a bind (financially) to change vehicles.

My suggestion would be to research what you could get for your vehicle... see what the 2013s have to offer as opposed to what deals you can get for a preexisting 2012 on a lot (that you like) and then weigh it all out at that point. It took me 2 years just to pull the trigger on buying mine and I ended up ordering it because none of the local lots (within 2 states distance) had a vehicle that I wanted... the way I wanted it configured etc...
Old 07-09-2012, 11:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been driving my '12 JKR 6spd since March. My understanding for the difference between the engines is in available Torque. The 3.8 actually keeps up with the 3.6 HP wise until the 4-5k RPM range, but the 3.6 torque band is almost flat starting around 1500 RPM. Its nice to have moderate throttle on and off road to get that torque. Of course with a Rubicon 4:1 transfer case and 4.10 gearing off road doesn't change much. Also means that you don't have to downshift for anything other than steep grade hill.

I get between 12.2 and 13 L/100km travelling at 120km/hr (~18-20mpg ~75mph) long distance, usually hover around the 14 L/100km (16-17mpg) in the city driving like I stole it.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

People are still paying a premium for Rubicons... you might be able to sell your rubi and buy a sport and come out even. In 5 years I am pretty sure the 3.6 will have a much higher resale value than the 3.8's so as WOL said, if you are even thinking about it you might as well do it.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:14 AM
JK Freak

Depending on your existing loan, the actual cost might not even be as bad as you think. New car rates are very low right now... I am paying 2% less for my 12 than I am for my wife's 10.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JamesWyatt
Why not hold off on your mods until the 2013s are on the lot and you can get a better discount on a remaining 2012? I would think that right now is the worst time to buy a 2012.

Don't forget with a 2012 you have a chance (not sure how remote) to get one with a bad/ticking head, then have to wait forever for a repair since the part is on national back order. The 2013s are supposed to have the re-engineered heads. Of course no one knows for sure yet.

Either way your trade-in on a 2011 is going to hurt badly. Even though JKs have great resale, the dealer still only gives auction pricing on trades. Sucks, but it's how they keep the frosting on their cake. Best to sell it outright. Some dealers even let you bring your buyer with you to close the deal and they handle the paperwork for both parties, even going so far as to help your buyer with financing.

If you're set on trading it in, I've noticed locally that there are several MW3 units that have been there a while. The markups on special editions (or even highly-optioned Rubicons) would give you more room for discounts.

Good luck with your decision.

Eh, you would be surprised. I traded in an 11 (with 7,500 miles) for a 12 and it only cost me about 3500. Way less than the supercharger I was going to put in, so I came out ahead, with a better tranny, better motor, better mpg, tow package, the color I actually wanted in the first place, connectivity group, and no miles.

Also, the head ticking thing is a small percentage of engines made before January of this year.

To the OP, it really is a nice improvement and I don't regret it. I'm not going to tell you it's like going from a Civic to a Ferrari, but it definitely has the power to move itself way better than the 11