Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

'12 vs '11

Old 07-06-2012, 08:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '12 vs '11

I have an '11 JKU Rubi manual with about 7k miles on it. I wanted to start modding it as soon as I got it but I've had some family health problems (good=my wife was pregnant and we had another boy, bad=my mom had cancer and passed away-not looking for pity, just that those things pretty much tamped down on everything in my life, including mods unfortunately...)

My question: I haven't driven a '12 with the Pentastar, but if I'm going to put thousands into lifts, wheels & tires, bumpers, possibly gears, etc, etc, should I just trade my stock '11 in and get the better engine and then do the mods? Rubi's used to hold their value and I don't know if they do since the '12 came about, but I don't think I'd lose a massive amount of value (or at least I wouldn't have before the larger engine was intro'd) to trade it in and then do all the mods?

I don't know how much better the new engine is, but I'd like opinions. I'm ok with losing some $'s on the trade, but I'd hate myself if in a couple of years if I spent $10k+ on mods and should have done it on a better engine.

I'm basically pulling the trigger on ordering parts in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks all.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:05 PM
JK Newbie

Everyone is telling me the 12 are really something. Plus you can get all the Sahra options on your Rubicon now. I refuse to drive one since I have invested so much in my 08. But good luck with it Bro. What you have is a nice ride.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:08 PM
JK Newbie

I bit the bullet and traded my 11 for a 12. Was happy with my 11 till someone had to tell me about the new engine. Took me about 6 weeks to trade my 11 with 12K miles to a 12. I like the new engine. Glad I did it. Lost about 3K on my trade in. I had a RC 2.5 on my 11 with 33's. I had kept my wheels and tires when I traded in my 08 for the 11, but I want a new look for my 12. I'm probably going back to the RC 2.5 lift. All that bla bla said I would go for the 12 if you can afford it. You may wanna look at selling it out right instead of trading it in. A little more headache but you will get a little more $ for it.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I under stand were your coming from.

I had a 08 JKUR on 37s with 5.38 gears with a lot of mods.

I did the Ripp SC. Trust me don't believe the hype like I did. That was a waste of money.

I sold the JK after going to Moab this year. Did great on the trails but crappy on the hwy.

How I have a 12 JKUR this thing is great. I know it's going to cost some $ to start over but it is worth it. My first mod is EVO coil over kit that I order. Hope it comes soon. How the power is what it is supposed to be in 12 Jk. How it's worth it.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:36 AM
JK Newbie

Traded my '07 for a new '12. Definitely a substantial improvement in power without sacrificing gas mileage. I actually was going to get an '11 until I heard about the upcoming engine so I waited it out and very glad I did. If you can afford a small loss on your '11 you will be very glad you did,
Old 07-07-2012, 07:00 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sq-pa
I have an '11 JKU Rubi manual with about 7k miles on it. I wanted to start modding it as soon as I got it but I've had some family health problems (good=my wife was pregnant and we had another boy, bad=my mom had cancer and passed away-not looking for pity, just that those things pretty much tamped down on everything in my life, including mods unfortunately...)

My question: I haven't driven a '12 with the Pentastar, but if I'm going to put thousands into lifts, wheels & tires, bumpers, possibly gears, etc, etc, should I just trade my stock '11 in and get the better engine and then do the mods? Rubi's used to hold their value and I don't know if they do since the '12 came about, but I don't think I'd lose a massive amount of value (or at least I wouldn't have before the larger engine was intro'd) to trade it in and then do all the mods?

I don't know how much better the new engine is, but I'd like opinions. I'm ok with losing some $'s on the trade, but I'd hate myself if in a couple of years if I spent $10k+ on mods and should have done it on a better engine.

I'm basically pulling the trigger on ordering parts in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks all.
if you're even thinking about it, i would. the new 3.6 pentastar is really worth it.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I sold my 11' JKU Rubi to the dealership and ordered a 2013' the way I wanted it (factory half doors). I had a 3 1/2" RK x-factor lift and 35's on the 11'. Dealors bought my 11' from me w/12,000 miles on it for more than I paid for it new. I lost a little bit because of aftermarket parts but I faired pretty well. I was going to go coil over and 40's anyways so it was cheeper for me to sell and buy new then upgrade the old one.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:06 AM
JK Newbie

It only hurts once, or should I say 5 ~ 7 years? LOL Worth every dime and I did it without thinking. I turned into the Dealer to see a JK-8 up close. I came home 4hrs later with the 2012 Rubicon not knowing the changes since 2004. Buying the 2012 lowered my payment by $50.00 a month. I did trade in my just paid off 2004 Rubicon.

Reading about and then wanting a 2012 would be hard to wait. I got it almost 2 months ago and am still learning about all the cool stuff. It came with all options without the leather seats and automatic.

Last edited by Winterhawk; 07-07-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:19 AM
JK Freak

Sold my '09 JKU. Ordered a '12 JKUR. The '09 was a gut-less wonder (but I still loved it 'cause it's a Wrangler). The '12 has great pickup and at only 500 miles I am getting 20 mpg even with a lead foot. This is our 7th Wrangler and the best one we have ever owned.

Contrats on your son. Sorry about your Mom.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not really sure what you hope a few extra horses will do for you?

You have a 6 speed. IMO the upgraded auto transmission is more important than the 3.6

Focus on getting your Jeep paid off and mod it. You would be amazed how much your mod funds will grow if you can get off the monthly payment routine.