Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

=Gladiator=

Old 03-30-2008, 05:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read on a different site that had a "Jeep Fantasy" Q&A session with Jeep Engineers and almost EVERYONE on there wanted a diesel wrangler, and a full size or large diesel powered pickup.

the Jeep Engineers made this clear that the customers wanted those items.
I think they are in our future.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:35 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by racer83l
I read on a different site that had a "Jeep Fantasy" Q&A session with Jeep Engineers and almost EVERYONE on there wanted a diesel wrangler, and a full size or large diesel powered pickup.

the Jeep Engineers made this clear that the customers wanted those items.
I think they are in our future.
Oftentimes the engineers are just as frestrated as us. I know they often times are Jeepers as well, and want the same things as the average Jeeper, but unfortunately the big wigs typically don't see things the same way. To them it all boils down to what the average erson wants, but the average person doesn't want the same things a true Jeeper wants.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

after hearing more and more about this, i kinda believe that Chrysler has struck gold and doesn't even know it. everyone on here is thinking about competitiveness and versatility along with average joe satisfaction and i think you guys are right. something new is needed and this is it, it has the ability to heavily compete with smaller trucks from Ford GMC and Chevy and with solid 4x4 axles you can't go wrong. there are if and's and buts about going deisel because of prices and mileage but thats in every truck. somebody needs to look further into these prototypes and give them the go. in the meantime chrysler is just being
Old 03-31-2008, 09:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every company is going to look at profitability before they jump into a market. Over the past few years, small trucks have not been profitable. It cost a minimum of X dollars to produce a truck. They can try to cut the build cost but in the end the cost can only go so low with the price of labor and material. Once they add a profit margin into the MSRP for the factory and the dealer, they are looking at a base price close to $20,000 for a basic "mini" truck and the profit is minimal to the dealer and factory. The simple solution is to add high profit margin accessory packages to the truck such as power windows, CC, electric mirrors, stereos, etc... but now this "mini" truck can easily be in the $25,000 to $28,000 price range. Suddenly the "mini" truck is competing price wise with the mid and full size trucks that can carry and haul more stuff. At this point many buyers go ahead and jump into the bigger truck for an additional grand or two and the dealer and factory make more money than they would have on the small truck.

All of the major vehicle companies do this. They all make more money and have a higher profit margin on their more expensive products. Unfortunately, by focusing on high end vehicles and larger profits now they are not doing enough to lure new buyers into their brand.

However, on a positive note, most of the the tooling and engineering cost for a JT have already been taken care of in the Wrangler. They have proven that they can sell a $20,000 Wrangler X and a $30,000 Wrangler Rubicon and make a profit with both. Additionally, they have actually built and driven the JT. This is not just an idea but an actual working vehicle that has been off road and driving by at least one magazine editor. The federal testing and EPA compliance has been done on the Wrangle and can easily be done on the JT.

Also, much like Harley Davidson, Jeep is tapping into the very profitable accessory market with bumpers, rock sliders, tow bars, etc.... from MOPAR. These type of accessories have been a gold mine for Harley and they could be for Jeep also.

It would seem the JT could be marketed as a Trail Rated vehicle with NO TRUE COMPETITION. Because all of the other factories have discontinued their small trucks and enlarged and softened their current trucks. A small, tuff, solid axle, 4X4 JT would have the market all to itself.

A JT might pull buyers from the Wrangler line but I bet it pulls enough buys from other brands to make up for that. In other words, I bet the total sales of JTs and Wranglers would be much more than the total sales of Wranglers alone.

Jeep could offer X, Sahara, and Rubicon versions and still have no competition. I believe the JT would out perform every truck currently on the market in an off road environment and the only other trucks to offer a solid front axles are huge one ton tow rigs.

I know times are tuff for every automotive company out there but this JT really seems like it could be a very profitable product. With the proper marketing they could target new young buyers and build lifetime customers as well as older more affluent customers that are going to double the price of the JT with MOPAR accessories.

OK I'll get off my soapbox now.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:45 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up Well said !!

Hey someone with the right channels nees to send this to Chrysler and set it on the fat man's desk!

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
Every company is going to look at profitability before they jump into a market. Over the past few years, small trucks have not been profitable. It cost a minimum of X dollars to produce a truck. They can try to cut the build cost but in the end the cost can only go so low with the price of labor and material. Once they add a profit margin into the MSRP for the factory and the dealer, they are looking at a base price close to $20,000 for a basic "mini" truck and the profit is minimal to the dealer and factory. The simple solution is to add high profit margin accessory packages to the truck such as power windows, CC, electric mirrors, stereos, etc... but now this "mini" truck can easily be in the $25,000 to $28,000 price range. Suddenly the "mini" truck is competing price wise with the mid and full size trucks that can carry and haul more stuff. At this point many buyers go ahead and jump into the bigger truck for an additional grand or two and the dealer and factory make more money than they would have on the small truck.

All of the major vehicle companies do this. They all make more money and have a higher profit margin on their more expensive products. Unfortunately, by focusing on high end vehicles and larger profits now they are not doing enough to lure new buyers into their brand.

However, on a positive note, most of the the tooling and engineering cost for a JT have already been taken care of in the Wrangler. They have proven that they can sell a $20,000 Wrangler X and a $30,000 Wrangler Rubicon and make a profit with both. Additionally, they have actually built and driven the JT. This is not just an idea but an actual working vehicle that has been off road and driving by at least one magazine editor. The federal testing and EPA compliance has been done on the Wrangle and can easily be done on the JT.

Also, much like Harley Davidson, Jeep is tapping into the very profitable accessory market with bumpers, rock sliders, tow bars, etc.... from MOPAR. These type of accessories have been a gold mine for Harley and they could be for Jeep also.

It would seem the JT could be marketed as a Trail Rated vehicle with NO TRUE COMPETITION. Because all of the other factories have discontinued their small trucks and enlarged and softened their current trucks. A small, tuff, solid axle, 4X4 JT would have the market all to itself.

A JT might pull buyers from the Wrangler line but I bet it pulls enough buys from other brands to make up for that. In other words, I bet the total sales of JTs and Wranglers would be much more than the total sales of Wranglers alone.

Jeep could offer X, Sahara, and Rubicon versions and still have no competition. I believe the JT would out perform every truck currently on the market in an off road environment and the only other trucks to offer a solid front axles are huge one ton tow rigs.

I know times are tuff for every automotive company out there but this JT really seems like it could be a very profitable product. With the proper marketing they could target new young buyers and build lifetime customers as well as older more affluent customers that are going to double the price of the JT with MOPAR accessories.

OK I'll get off my soapbox now.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:48 AM
JK Junkie

no i'm just kidding, thats was very good. no need to get off the soap box. that was very interesting and true.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:54 AM
JK Freak

Amen. I got sick and tired of waiting for a JT/Gladiator so got a 4 door. I don't know if that's true of everybody, and I doubt building a truck would draw too many Wrangler owners. The 4door will still attract family- and value-conscious Jeepers that don't want (or need) the bed.

Get some motivation, Chrysler!
Old 04-03-2008, 09:03 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Brad2893
Amen. I got sick and tired of waiting for a JT/Gladiator so got a 4 door. I don't know if that's true of everybody, and I doubt building a truck would draw too many Wrangler owners. The 4door will still attract family- and value-conscious Jeepers that don't want (or need) the bed.

Get some motivation, Chrysler!
Exactly. Its a Jeep Thing not a Dodgie thing.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:08 PM
JK Junkie

I have heard that the Dodge Dakota is going away wich would open the door for the Chrysler family to release a new smaller pickup. I know that there currently trying to push all dealers into carrying all three lines to help reduce some of the redundant vehicles, and reduce competition within Chrysler. If the Dakota does go away, it wouldn't suprise me to see this replace it.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:09 PM
JK Junkie

Default found more stuff

i found some more stuff on it, originally it was planned for 08, but canceled, here shte link i found all this at
http://www.wkjeeps.com/concept/gladiator.htm

"Super Utility Truck Loads Up on Jeep Heritage,
Innovation and Rugged Function

One of the two new Jeep concepts unveiled at the 2005 Detroit auto show January 9th was the Gladiator. Named after a 1960s Jeep pickup truck, the Gladiator is categorized as a mid-sized "Flexible Utility Truck". The Gladiator features a 2.8-liter common rail turbo-diesel engine with 163 HP and 295 lb-ft of torque and is mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox. Other features include a rear seat access hatch on the driver's side, a peel-back canvas roof, drop-down rear glass and 13.7" of ground clearance. The unique bed expands from 5-6" to 6-8", accomplished by a rear seat that slides beneath the bed with the entire rear bulkhead sliding forward into the cab along rails.

The Gladiator is a lifestyle pickup with all of the rugged functionality of the famed Jeep Wrangler. It is a super utility truck that features an open-air canvas roof, removable doors and fold-down windshield so driver and passengers can get in touch with the outdoors, and an expandable pickup-truck bed and clever storage compartments to offer truly useful cargo capacity.

“Jeep Gladiator is an authentic statement of Jeep brand heritage that explores what shape and features a modern Jeep pickup might have,” said Trevor Creed, Senior Vice President – Chrysler Group Design.

Jeep enthusiasts will likely recognize the Gladiator name from the 1962 fullsize pickup truck model. Other Jeep elements on today’s Gladiator that blend style and function include the seven-slot grille, an open-air passenger compartment, a Command Trac® part-time 4x4 system, front- and rear-locking differentials, a front winch and full skid plates.

While the heritage rings true, Gladiator is also a thoroughly modern pickup, intelligently engineered for an active lifestyle. The Jeep brand has always embodied function in a right-sized vehicle, and the Gladiator continues that theme by offering more utility and storage than would be expected in a vehicle scaled for maneuverability and ease of driving.

There is a driver-side cabin-storage access panel as well as a lockable storage panel in front of the rear wheel. The 4-foot-wide bed space is expandable with storage that can extend inside the cabin when more length is needed. The bed can be transformed easily from its standard length of 5 foot, 8 inches (1,725 mm) to 6 foot, 8 inches (2,026 mm) with the midgate expanded, and ultimately to 8 foot, 11 inches (2,723 mm) with the midgate expanded and tailgate down.

Gladiator is powered by the modern and efficient 2.8-liter, 4-cylinder common-rail turbo diesel engine that provides 295 lb-ft of torque and 163 hp. It delivers ample power to all four wheels through a 6-speed manual transmission and a traditional part-time transfer case.

The front and rear suspension are multi-link designs for a smooth ride over all surfaces with plenty of suspension travel for capable off roading. Coilover shocks are used at all four corners for superb control. The rear incorporates dual, concentric springs for a comfortable ride while offering a 1,500-pound payload. Key off-roading specifications include a ground clearance of 13.7 inches (348 mm), break-over angle of 23.2 degrees and an approach/departure angle of 47.6 /38.0 degrees, respectively. Tires in the front and rear are 34 inches in diameter (265/75R18) mounted on 18x8 inch wheels.

On the interior, Gladiator is thoroughly contemporary with a utility theme. The color palate includes Armour Green with Dark Slate Gray accents. The seats are weatherproof and the interior is designed for hose-out ease of care. Not surprisingly, Gladiator features all the necessary technology for finding the way there and back including GPS, a navigation system and a communications system.

“This vehicle blends classic cues with contemporary functionality and innovation,” said Creed. “The timeless silhouette – even the bedside-mounted spare of classic Jeep pickups– is merged with a modern chassis, a turbo diesel powertrain and a flexible, expandable truck bed.”

At this time no production plans have been made for the Gladiator, but as is typical with many concept vehicles there are design hints as to where Jeep may be headed with future models. Jeep plans to introduce several new vehicles in the next two years. The new 7-seat Commander will debut as a 2006 model late next summer while a SRT performance version of the new Grand Cherokee is slated for the same model year. An entry level Jeep called the Compass and a redesigned Wrangler will most likely appear for the 2007 model year.

Specifications:

Axles: Solid front and rear with switchable lockers
Engine: 2.8-liter Common Rail Turbo-diesel with 163 HP and 295 lb-ft torque
Gearbox: 5-speed manual with NV231 transfer case, Part-time 4x4
Suspension: Five-link suspension with front/rear coils
Wheelbase: 138.4"
Ground clearance: 13.7"
Height: 74.8"
Length: 205"
Max width: 76.6"
Front Overhang: 28.3"
Rear Overhang: 38.3"
Track, Front/Rear: 65.6"/66.2"
Weight: 4,160 (approx.)
Bed length: 5'-8", expandable midgate increases length to 6-8"
Bed length, tailgate down: 8'-11"
Wheels: 18" x 8" with Goodyear MT/R265/75R18 tires
Integrated front winch
Rear glass: Drop-down
Rear seat access hatch on driver's side
Rear door, passenger side: Full door "

if you go to the link they have a few pics and virtual pics of it, pretty neat thought i'd share. sounds like they know they have something good but are just sitting on it..

Quick Reply: =Gladiator=