Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

=Gladiator=

Old 03-22-2008, 09:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I SURE HOPE IF THEY EVER DID MAKE IT , THAT THEY PUT THAT TIRE UNDERNEATH, OR IN THE BED..
Old 03-23-2008, 06:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
i did a whole spread on this already lol here's the link, i even email Chrysler about it, it's all in here:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ight=gladiator
Actually, this is at least the 4th thread on the Gladiator and or JT on here. But I like talking about them anyway.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ColoradoJeep06
Actually answered/Googled my own question. A 138inch wheel base with some 38 inch rear overhang. 13.7 inch ground clearance with 34 inch tires.

How is rear over hang measured, from the middle of the axel to the end of the car?

Would make a nice base for a 4door Rescue type vehicle.
The JT has a 116 inch wheel base and is on the Unlimited chasis.

autoblog.com/2007/05/22/jeep-jt-concept-is-no-show-car/
Old 03-23-2008, 06:33 AM
JK Freak

Here is an auto blog about the tan JT.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/22/j...s-no-show-car/

Quote from Car&Driver:
As for the shallow five-foot bed and side-hinged tailgate: Jeep produces those for the "J8" Wrangler, a vehicle it makes for the Egyptian military. Who knew?

The only parts not shared with anything else in the DaimlerChrysler family or available from the aftermarket are the custom-made rear bulkhead and removable roof. Oh, and the JT's unique "Hearing Aid Beige" paint (we're not making that up) that's not shared with anything other than, um, hearing aids.
For the full story and pics: caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/car_shopping/pickup_corral/2009_jeep_wrangler_jt_concept_first_drive_review/(page)/1

Here is another article: http://www.offroaders.com/tech/jeep/Jeep-JT.htm

go here for a video: motortrend.com/av/roadtests/112_0705_jeep_jt_concept_road_test/

Last edited by Blue; 03-23-2008 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah it will be interesting what happens with both the JT and Gladiator, although i think the gladiator would sell better because of the better seating.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:44 AM
JK Newbie

Over the years I have lurked on a bunch of off road forums and it seems to me that quite a few people want a small, tuff, durable, capable, solid axle, 4X4 pick up truck. Seems every 4X4 truck forum has a petition to the factory asking for a solid front axle and they all have threads on how to put a solid front axle under their current rig. Also seems to me that one of the biggest and most successful car companies (Toyota) got their start in this country with a small truck that established that company's reputation for tuff, durable, capable....etc. I think that if Jeep did release the JT for civilian sales they would sell a bunch of them. It would be the ONLY factory solid axle truck on the market and they can already compete with the V-6 and 6-speed transmission. The JT in Wrangler X configuration would most likely out perform any other 4X4 truck on the market. Might have to add the locking rear diff to make this claim. If Jeep released it with Rubicon running gear there would be no contest.

I think this JT would be the perfect vehicle for Jeep. Many younger drivers want a good strong 4X4 that will take them everywhere, look cool and last many years. They can not afford the 30+ mall crawlers and they do not need four doors, or four seats because they are still single. A small truck is perfect to throw a bicycle or dirt bike into and take off for a weekend. The only SNAFU I see is that the MPG on the current Wrangler/JY platform is a bit low for these young drivers. I would buy the JT with the V-6 but it might also be smart to offer it with a 4-cylinder in a bare bones model. If Jeep could attracted these new buyers with this JT they could probably keep some life time customers just like Toyota did years ago.

I would buy the JT with a V-6, 6-speed manual, A/C, C/C, P/S and manual everything else. The military version of the JT has leaf springs in the rear and coil up front. This is probably a very good compromise of smooth ride with a solid front axle and load carrying ability with a truck bed. I am OK with the sacrifice of a bit of articulation in the rear to be able to carry 1500 pounds or so. I would probably get it in an X configuration as I don't feel the Rubicon is worth the money to me and then I would add my own lockers, lift, and tires and probably drive that thing for the next twenty years and be very happy.

My $0.02

Last edited by rkwfxd; 03-23-2008 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:14 AM
JK Freak

The problem with your post is that it makes sense. The people who actually decide what models to put out probably have never even driven a truck, and rarely ever make sense. So, while I agree....I would say I would be shocked if we ever see the Gladiator.
If one did come out....I would have to have one!
Old 03-23-2008, 08:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by A'sJK
The problem with your post is that it makes sense.
Sorry, I don't know what got into me. I'll try not to let it happen again.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well... JK sales are way down recently (JK sales down 27% http://www.jeepnewsnow.com/modules/n...p?storyid=2898), so this might be the time for Chrysler to start looking at variant models like a pickup to boost sales.

Of course, putting a new model into production muct be very costly, so if cash is tight, they could simply change the options and motor to stimulate sales, or... start offering sales incentives.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:08 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Emoto
Well... JK sales are way down recently (JK sales down 27% http://www.jeepnewsnow.com/modules/n...p?storyid=2898), so this might be the time for Chrysler to start looking at variant models like a pickup to boost sales.

Of course, putting a new model into production muct be very costly, so if cash is tight, they could simply change the options and motor to stimulate sales, or... start offering sales incentives.
Almost all of the parts for the JT are currently being produced. The exception is the rear cab panel.

Quick Reply: =Gladiator=