Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

****Theft*****

Old 08-12-2011, 01:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ****Theft*****

A freind of mine asked me to see if anyone on here has had their doors stolen. Hers were stolen last week (left garage door open over night and they were off the jeep already). Now she is calling the dealer who advised that she would have to order all the parts of the doors then pay to get them put together and painted. the insurance dude is clue less. To me this doesnt sound right. O and her soft top was stolen too. The dealer said the same thing with the top. any clue if this is true or dealer trying to get more $$$
Old 08-12-2011, 01:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First thing id do is check another dealership and see if they say the same thing.
As for insurance, it sounds like this would need to be covered under home/renters insurance and not auto insurance due to the fact they were stolen from the garage, Unless she tells them they were stolen from the Jeep if so i'd delete or edit your post

Last edited by Croce; 08-12-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default lol

the home owners insurance guy said he would have to check if its them or auto. but its the same company. insurance guy said they are covered. thank god.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like its time for some half doors!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by patrol65
the home owners insurance guy said he would have to check if its them or auto. but its the same company. insurance guy said they are covered. thank god.
Thats real good to hear, that will save a lot of hassle having them both being the same company..
I dont really understand what the dealer means about putting the doors together. They should be able to get them shipped in once peice and painted so i would definetley call another dealer for pricing

as for the soft top the only thing i cna think of is installing the door surrounds and top which anyone can do themserlves so i def wouldnt pay the dealer to do that
Old 08-12-2011, 01:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

wow! must have been someone scoping out the place and jeep for awhile. you don't just grab those doors and run off with them on a whim. They are too heavy for that.

sorry to hear about your/her troubles
Old 08-12-2011, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

dealer pullin her leg a bit to far !!!!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Croce
Thats real good to hear, that will save a lot of hassle having them both being the same company..
I dont really understand what the dealer means about putting the doors together. They should be able to get them shipped in once peice and painted so i would definetley call another dealer for pricing

as for the soft top the only thing i can think of is installing the door surrounds and top which anyone can do themserlves so i def wouldnt pay the dealer to do that
Since you have to buy the parts separately when you get the half doors, I would assume that the same would apply for the full doors. It realy wouldn't matter as the dealer would be taking care of it and all you will get is the completed door ready to install.

Since the top was off of the Jeep, did you have the surrounds, etc off as well? Did the thief find all the parts and take them? You header might come separate from the rest of the top but the dealer will manage this as well.

Noone is trying to jack up the price other than Jeep/Chrysler but then we already know they do that on any replacement parts.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

seems the garage door was open over night and no one was home. took the jeep on a over nighter. wow i asked if any silver jeeps in area. she said alot. i know a lot of thats of metal have been happening.

Last edited by patrol65; 08-12-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Unfortunately, I believe your dealer is correct in that the doors would have to be purchased in multiple pieces, assembled, and painted. After a vehicle leaves the factory, it's assumed that the vehicle will need individual parts due to wear, breakdown, or collision for the remainder of its life. However it would be costly for a manufacturer to produce and stock full complex components when most customer will only ever need individual parts.

For example, I want to upgrade my steering wheel from the pre-2011 design to the 2011-12 design. I assumed that if I were to buy it new from the dealer, I'd have to purchase 4 or 5 different pieces and assemble it myself. Turns out, there are 10 - 11 different components that I would have to buy individually and assemble.

In the case of your friend, insurance will cover the repair but I'm thinking they will want to purchase salvaged doors and repaint them to match the vehicle.

As for the soft top, Mopar sells the individual components of the soft top BUT they also have complete new kits available for purchase for vehicles that left the factory with a hard top.

I'm sorry this happened to her and I'm sorry that people feel the need to take what doesn't belong to them. It's a nasty situation to have to deal with and a huge pill to swallow.

Quick Reply: ****Theft*****