Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

$200 to update my mygig

Old 12-09-2010, 12:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, the my gig works great! This is the fifth vehicle with nav for me, and it's worth the investment. My Lexus Is350 nav isn't as good as my jk. And the jeep nav displays trails good too!
Old 12-09-2010, 12:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I have both. Remember when Chrysler were giving away free Navigation when you purchased a new vehicle? Well, my mom purchased a new Dodge Journey and didn't even realize it, one day Chrysler must have sent her a portable Garmin unit which just showed up in the mail. Before that arrived, I bought her a MyGig Rer and installed it, and she gave me the Garmin since she didn't need it. So I have a MyGig RER in my JK and keep the Garmin for whenever I travel on a business trip and get a rental.

I really don't like the cords hanging around, the suction cup circles on my windshield, and remembering to pull it down to deter thieves....but it works great for when I'm in a rental.

I also really like how the Navigation in the MyGig works with the BT hand's free phone. My wife called me on my way coming home from work and asked me to pick up some Chinese on the way home from work....I asked her...do you have the phone number?? Nope?? Ok, I entered the Chinese restaurant's name into the MyGig Navigation, which pulled up the address and phone number of the place, and I just pressed the "Call" button on the MyGig, which then called the Phone number which is stored in the Navi database, with the hand's free Blue Tooth function, I placed the order and my carry-out was ready when I got there. Plus the MyGig also is integrated with the Sirius traffic, so when there's accidents and traffic congestion ahead of you, there will be a Sirius traffic announcement made and the Navigation will route you around it before you're stuck in it.

Try that with the portable Navi.
You get that with portable navigation systems, as with my gig you have to pay additional fees.

I did not renew sirus, the feature is stopped.

I love the navigation on mygig, but

I use my Droid phones navigation system for traffic and that is free, and the system updates automatically.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just replaced my nav with an iPad. Navigon has great updates on their maps and support. Free as well
Old 12-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by cbenitah
Just replaced my nav with an iPad. Navigon has great updates on their maps and support. Free as well
Be sure to tell us how well it works when it's -30F below......oh, you live in San Francisco. You might be alright, but an Ipad install will not work well in my Michigan cold winter weather.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Enzo
You get that with portable navigation systems, as with my gig you have to pay additional fees.

I did not renew sirus, the feature is stopped.

I love the navigation on mygig, but

I use my Droid phones navigation system for traffic and that is free, and the system updates automatically.
I believe you still get Sirius info to the navigation in the MyGig. I know mine ran out about 3 months ago, and it still routes me around traffic.

Your droid navigation is not free. You have to pay a monthly fee for your droid phone for as long as you own it, which is not the case with the MyGig. You stop your phone subscription...your navigation also stops working. So, nothing is free with your Droid...you're just making monthly installment payments.

$60/month * 12 months= $720 Most phones like the Droid require at minimum a 2 year contract. That's $1440 for your "free" Navigation.

Last edited by Rednroll; 12-09-2010 at 02:33 PM.

Quick Reply: $200 to update my mygig