Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

$200 to update my mygig

Old 12-07-2010, 03:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $200 to update my mygig

got 2 cds in the mail today from chrysler, that say update your nav system today. well i start my trip to ga from san diego on tursday and was thinking cool a update would be nice. started to read the paper and they want $200 to upgate the mygig! screw that piece of crap mygig, i would rather put the $200 towards a another nav system.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:56 PM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed, I don't plan on upgrading mine for a long time, if ever. The roads stay similar enough to find your way around! It is hilarious when I get to new highway exits and it jumps around like a nut trying to figure out what road it's on.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:45 PM
JK Junkie

The disc is actually from Navteq, the Nav software company, and yes it's ridiculous to pay that. Of course when they send a disc to all MyGig owners, of course they need to charge $200 to update as they waste a ton sending out the discs.

I'm holding out for the Android OS car systems, free maps updates and navigation, plus a whole lot more.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Or you could just buy a navigation system and mount it to your dash and not spend the $200

That is crazy though. Who do they think they are charging that?! I'd say a nice flaming bag of dog poo on their porch is in order.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

I take it the MyGig must be some of yours 1st OEM Navi system huh??? Navteq are the ones who specify the upgrade price and Navteq is currently the most used GPS map service provider for OEM's. So this is not something special to the MyGig. Go price a Toyota or Lexus Map update for their nav systems, it's about the same price and often you're lucky if they even offer you an update option. Same for GM and Nissan.

Welcome to the world of OEM Navigation systems, I've been seeing this since about 2001 when I got my 1st one.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I bet those CD's will show up on ebay for half price in a month or so anyway.

You guys could all pool in together and get one couldn't you?
Old 12-08-2010, 02:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

I use to be crazy for the OEM built in GPS systems. Now I rather not get a vehicle with built in GPS and get a mageliian or Garmin , just as many features , and when it gets older, and starts acting stupid or worse " Broken" it does not cost as much as upgrading the OEM that came with the vehicle.

My 2 cents
Old 12-09-2010, 09:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SLIM_SNOOPY
I use to be crazy for the OEM built in GPS systems. Now I rather not get a vehicle with built in GPS and get a mageliian or Garmin , just as many features , and when it gets older, and starts acting stupid or worse " Broken" it does not cost as much as upgrading the OEM that came with the vehicle.

My 2 cents
I completely agree, especially because when I really need a GPS, I am not driving any of my vehicles, I am usually in a rental.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by horrocks007
I bet those CD's will show up on ebay for half price in a month or so anyway.

You guys could all pool in together and get one couldn't you?
It's not possible. The CDs are actually worthless without an activation code. So as long as they're selling an activation code along with those CDs on Ebay, then it might be worth it. The activation code is based off of your individual vehicle's VIN.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by goaterguy
I completely agree, especially because when I really need a GPS, I am not driving any of my vehicles, I am usually in a rental.
I have both. Remember when Chrysler were giving away free Navigation when you purchased a new vehicle? Well, my mom purchased a new Dodge Journey and didn't even realize it, one day Chrysler must have sent her a portable Garmin unit which just showed up in the mail. Before that arrived, I bought her a MyGig Rer and installed it, and she gave me the Garmin since she didn't need it. So I have a MyGig RER in my JK and keep the Garmin for whenever I travel on a business trip and get a rental.

I really don't like the cords hanging around, the suction cup circles on my windshield, and remembering to pull it down to deter thieves....but it works great for when I'm in a rental.

I also really like how the Navigation in the MyGig works with the BT hand's free phone. My wife called me on my way coming home from work and asked me to pick up some Chinese on the way home from work....I asked her...do you have the phone number?? Nope?? Ok, I entered the Chinese restaurant's name into the MyGig Navigation, which pulled up the address and phone number of the place, and I just pressed the "Call" button on the MyGig, which then called the Phone number which is stored in the Navi database, with the hand's free Blue Tooth function, I placed the order and my carry-out was ready when I got there. Plus the MyGig also is integrated with the Sirius traffic, so when there's accidents and traffic congestion ahead of you, there will be a Sirius traffic announcement made and the Navigation will route you around it before you're stuck in it.

Try that with the portable Navi.

Last edited by Rednroll; 12-09-2010 at 11:44 AM.

Quick Reply: $200 to update my mygig