Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Zoglmann's Build Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 09:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zoglmann's Build Thread

So I think I've come up with a solid (kind of) plan for the first leg of my jeep modding adventure on my 2012 JKU Sahara. Wanted opinions/advise about the setup I have in visioned if you all would be so inclined to offer it to me. It's bone stock right now but needs a passenger fender and flare so I started looking at the aftermarket and decided to go smittybuilt xrc armor fenders and corners for the rear. Not only do they look sick but they should be stout. I've been looking and found a pic of a JKU with 35s running them with no lift and the wheel well gaps look good to me.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2985026934.jpg
Views:	1151
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	487556
Now I'm planning on 17" steel wheels w weld in reinforcement rings that I draw up wrapped in 35 12.5 toyos or other mt if budget dictates that I can't have the tires I want. I'm kind of iffy on the no lift as I wheel on some pretty ledged out rocks and drag A LOT. Any input on what you would do is appreciated. This is my dd but i wheel it every chance I get so it will need to preform when asked to do so. Any input on this idea I've got rolling around in this box of rocks I call a brain would be appreciated.
Oh and I'm doing the work myself so install pointers always appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 08-12-2013, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

No one has opinions?

Old 08-12-2013, 11:47 AM
JK Newbie

If you're planning on no lift then the easy answer is armor. I would start with rocker guards and maybe diff guards. My stock armor underneath has held up pretty good although it's dented to crap so you can probably hold off for a while on that. Also depending on your axle gears you may want to re-gear going to 35's, if you have 4.10's already you should be good.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like an ok plan to get by on a budget. You will definitely want to cut your rear pinch seams (takes all but 2 min with a sawzall). I'd also recommend reinforcing the front axle with those 35's. Truss and gussets can be had for pretty cheap, you just need to know someone with some welding skills. Hope this helps, not really sure what you were looking for.

I decided to drop down to a 15" wheel, as that combo with 35's was about the same price as just the 35's for 17" wheels (plus you'll need wheel spacers if you have stock rims), and i just like the look I also got my TF 2.5" bb from the forums $250 shipped new in box. So keep an eye out there

Last edited by kh202; 08-12-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:49 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you have a good plan. Id do as you plan and see how the no lift performs. In my opinion 35s and ever 4" lift drag all the time out here. It depends on what you wheel. Im sure your going to get into bigger and bigger rocks... Diff covers are a good idea also as well as the mentioned truss... But its all on how far you want to go. Ive bent flanges in the rear and broke frnt axle shafts and u joints on only 35s and i baby mine as its my dd.

Last edited by Maertz; 08-12-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've already bent the smaller front cross tube in front of the main cross member up a little so skids will be in order either way. As far as a truss I really like the artek kit with gussets and skids but I don't know if the truss will clear without a lift (gotta do more research) but if it will I plan on getting it and installing myself. I've been welding for about 10 years now but have only delt with cast a couple times and the last time I brazed it rather than weld so ill have to talk to the local experts to get some heads up on attaching it to the pumpkin. I'm thinkin hd ball joints after the gussets are on since the stress of the 35s and theyve got 31k miles on the stockers. Any insight on the truss or installing the gussets or the ball joints will be helpful.

Btw just ordered the fenders from offroad elements and Eric took care of me with a killer deal. Wanna say thanks to him, thanks to you guys that posted up your thoughts and suggestions (greatly appreciated), and say this:
It has officially begun

Old 08-12-2013, 07:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

On a side note, I've got 3.73 gears with factory rubi rock rails. Plan on 4.5" bs steel wheels so i can weld in the rings. As far as size its up in the air. I dont want to go 15" due to aftermarket tierod interference however. I have also pondered doing just a 1.75"ish coil spacer set and +2" shocks with adjusted bump stops rather than a 2.5" kit but i dont know if it would be worth it as i plan on 37s in the distant future. the upgrades would cost alot to run them and they would have to be done first im not sure id even use the front axle at all so upgrading may be pushed out by the need for completely different components. Thats for another thread later on. back to the real world ha ha. Eventually lookin at poison Spyder diff covers and building a set of sliders that are a little beefier with plates to act as mud flaps (kind of) front and rear to keep the door handles a little cleaner. The wife really hates when her hands get muddy opening the door to go to dinner

Thanks again guys and jeep on!

Last edited by Zoglmann; 08-12-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I personally wouldn't run 35's without a lift. You will get many opinions, but I would want at least a 2 1/2" lift, and at bare minimum, gussets.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:48 AM
JK Freak

2 inch w/ flatties.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
I personally wouldn't run 35's without a lift. You will get many opinions, but I would want at least a 2 1/2" lift, and at bare minimum, gussets.
Can you elaborate on your reasoning?

Quick Reply: Zoglmann's Build Thread