Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

You can sleep in the back of a JK!

Old 06-10-2009, 06:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You can sleep in the back of a JK!

You can sleep in the back and do it quite comfortably. My girlfriend and I set off on a trip from Toronto to Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire and down as far as Boston. We didn't sleep in the JK everynight, but when we did we were surprised on how comfortable it could be. My girl is 5 foot nothing so i wasn't worried about her. I'm 6'2" and it worked out fine for me. This is what we did.

I decided to keep the rear seats in. I was going to pull them out and make a platform... but i didn't. And glad a didn't because this worked out just fine.

The front seats had to go all the way forward. This allows the rear headrests to go flat. Just put some stuff underthem to keep them up. I put a board down to block the holes and bumps from the rear sets. I then got some cheap foam tiles and cut them to fit the floor. I used two layers near the tailgate and one at the front. This took away the slight incline that was created from the rear seats.

All packed up and ready to go.

Setting up camp was easy. I had a tarp to cover our table and allow us to get in and out of the jeep in the rain. Everything that could go outside did. clothes and some other things just went to the front seats.

Just because its camping doesn't mean you can't eat well.

Sleeping in the back was fine. We brought a lot of extras to make the girlfriend happy. The netting was a GREAT bonus for organizing. we hung a dvd player, and anything else we needed within easy reach. I always have my small bower box in the JK incase my battery dies and no one is around. it has an AC and car lighter hookup so it charged our dvd player, ipods, cameras. A great thing to have on a trip.

It was great to do a road trip with a the top down. First time doing it for me. We got lucky at the end of our trip with some really nice weather. 35 degrees for teh last few days. Man it did get windy in the front though! It doesn't bother me, my hair doesn't move.

2674 KM on this trip. I must have killed 2 million bugs on this trip. Every gas staion we had to clean the windshield. But when we got home i gave her a good wash.

I didn't post pictures of our trip outside the campsites but The coast of Maine was great. So many nice small towns to see. And by luck we got to see the blue jays in fenway park which was cool.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Cool, pictures. Makes me want to go on a road trip in the jeep NOW. Thanks
Old 06-10-2009, 07:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Looks like you guys had fun. I'm sort of envious. Man work just keeps getting in the way of living!
Old 06-10-2009, 07:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm doing the same for our trip to the Rubicon in July. I was thinking of getting one of those egg crate type mattress toppers and laying it down in the back similar to what you did. Mines a 2 door though, so it will be a little tighter, but I'm also only 5'6" so I think I'll be ok =)
Old 06-10-2009, 07:12 AM
JK Freak

Nice pics...im actually planning a trip for 4th of July!

Very good loking girl too...lucky man!
Old 06-10-2009, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for some great ideas! I road trip it from Cali back to Colorado a few times a year and have yet to make the trek in the JK. I can't wait!
Old 06-10-2009, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's awesome! Your JK is nice man How do you like the Raingler netting?

Trending Topics

Old 06-10-2009, 08:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default where did you camp?

I am from Windsor...where do you guys camp? sweet Jeep!
Old 06-10-2009, 08:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DiscoDave
That's awesome! Your JK is nice man How do you like the Raingler netting?
It has worked out great. A lot of $$ but worth it for me. Its a project that can be easily done yourself but I went the easy route on that one. With the rear packed with stuff it helped it all from flying out the back on the highway. And good attachment points for lighter things.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:45 AM
JK Newbie

Very cool thread! I think the wife and I will have to consider doing away with the tent during our camping trips! I wonder if it would be possible to stuff a full size air mattress on top of the flat seats? Maybe under-inflate it?

Quick Reply: You can sleep in the back of a JK!