Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Yet another inexpensive doorless mirror solution

Old 04-04-2010, 08:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another inexpensive doorless mirror solution

I was in the market for a cheap, stable doorless mirror solution that I could pick up quickly. I stumbled on mirror at the local NAPA (Part Number: LIT 97802) that was a little over $20 for a pair and had a good design that keeps it from vibrating on or off road. The design is simple - a mounting bracket that has a solid connection to the adjustable mirror. The edge of the mirror is surrounded by a rubber gasket, and after you adjust it for visibility you secure it in place with three screws. I got the convex mirror design for better visibility. You could paint the bracket to match, but for now I'm leaving it stock.

Here’s what they look like:

I added a layer of Duct Tape on the bottom of the bracket so it won't scratch the paint when its mounted:

I mounted to the top screw on the windshield bracket. After adjusting the mirror for driver visibility, I tighten the three screws that hold the mirror in place:

Finished:

On the trail:
Old 04-04-2010, 09:26 PM
JK Freak

I like!
Old 04-04-2010, 09:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just picked these up yesterday from my local napa store, because I could not seperate my stock mirrors for my RR mounts again. I was looking for an idea to keep the paint from scratching, love the duct tape!!
Old 04-04-2010, 10:35 PM
JK Freak

a light coat of gasket maker!!
Old 04-04-2010, 11:11 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by arkain04
a light coat of gasket maker!!
or some of the thicker black electrical tape.......
Old 04-05-2010, 04:36 AM
JK Junkie

I've been thinking tool handle dip.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jason0341
I just picked these up yesterday from my local napa store, because I could not seperate my stock mirrors for my RR mounts again. I was looking for an idea to keep the paint from scratching, love the duct tape!!
What I use for my KC windshield mount is rubber matting I bought from Bed Bath and Beyond. These are the kitchen drawer mattings to keep your utensils from moving in your kitchen drawers. Last year, 2 types were sold...1) little ball type surface, and 2) smooth type surface...definitely go for the smooth surface. Cut as needed and you're good to go. They are thicker than duct tape, but will compress for a great fit.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

those look good!!!
Old 04-05-2010, 06:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The kitchen drawer mats sounds good too. I used some of that for my daystar upper dash panel to keep things from sliding around.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for the feedback.

I actually have and thought about electrical tape, gasket maker, old gaskets, and tool handle spray (no old rubber mats), but the duct tap won out for me because I wanted something that would stick to the bracket (one less thing to misplace when I take them off), has been proven to hold up (and stick) over time, and will only tend to stick to the bracket and not the paint.

Actually though, I think the best part is the mirrors. They’re inexpensive, a good size, convex, an engineered to not vibrate. All they really needed was some protection for the paint - which as seen can have many different solutions.

Quick Reply: Yet another inexpensive doorless mirror solution