Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Ya'll are gonna think my cheese has slid off my cracker, but....

Old 06-22-2011, 10:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ya'll are gonna think my cheese has slid off my cracker, but....

I have been wanting to build a rear bumper and tire carrier lately, and want to do something a little different. So the other day, I am over at my Mom's house, and changing her oil on her 4dr 2WD. As I stare at that useless front axle, thinking "what a waste", it occurs to me that a front axle out of a 2WD would be kind of an interesting starting point to a rear bumper. You already have a hinge on each end, and it shouldn't weigh that much once you strip it down. Could possibly use one steering knuckle for the tire carrier, and the other for a second swing arm for a gerry can or something? I mean, it's ALREADY the correct width... Any ideas? Suggestions? Advice on what kind of crazy pills I should be taking? Also, any idea where to get one??? Just a thought.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Also, any idea where to get one??? Just a thought.
Sounds like your mom's house would be a good start
Old 06-22-2011, 12:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wvxlt
Sounds like your mom's house would be a good start
She won't think that's as funny as I would.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think it would be pretty cool. def one of a kind.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the title of the thread. And that would be really different. You should try it.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

This thread just caused me to snort pop (yanks read "soda") in a most unbecoming way.

Lmao
Old 06-24-2011, 03:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I worked for a drveshaft shop the one thing you have to make sure that you check is the center pin bearing because if you don't your u-joints will not last as long as they should, another thing make sure the yoke ends have to be fazed the CPA must line up, or you will get a vibration. Hope this helps
Old 06-24-2011, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TomOH
I worked for a drveshaft shop the one thing you have to make sure that you check is the center pin bearing because if you don't your u-joints will not last as long as they should, another thing make sure the yoke ends have to be fazed the CPA must line up, or you will get a vibration. Hope this helps
??????
Old 06-24-2011, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm afraid he missed it...

Old 06-24-2011, 01:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Thatd be pretty expensive id imagine. If you had one just sitting around, Id say sure, why not, its free and if you didnt like it, well no money spent, but for the cost of an axle, you could buy brand new 1/4" steel sheet metal that would be stronger, you could design it however you like, and there would be much less prep work in regards to getting the metal to weld.

I built this whole assembly for around 200, and most of that was the cost of the latch and hinge

now that being said, im not saying dont do it, because well, itd be a very unique project that would be interesting to follow, but i had to throw my opinion in there. As for finding an axle cheap, check out a scrap yard, you may not find one off of a JK but you might find something close.

Quick Reply: Ya'll are gonna think my cheese has slid off my cracker, but....