Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.
View Poll Results: HEMI or RIPP Supercharger
5.7 HEMI beats RIPP Supercharger
27.16%
RIPP Supercharger beats 5.7 HEMI
18.97%
Based on results I'd buy a Hemi
10.34%
Based on results I'd by a RIPP Supercharger
57.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Xtreme 4X4 RIPP vs HEMI Supercharged JK Part 3

Old 02-25-2011, 09:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS
Hey now - we're all one big happy Jeep family............. Jeep is a world product
Ross can actually type the word JEEP.

RIPP for da win!!!
Old 02-25-2011, 09:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have the money i think the Hemi is a best alternative, mostly because the engine remains stock, so there's no additional stress other than the usual one, but a supercharged 3.8 V6, which was never designed to be supercharged, i don't know if it's reliable.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:53 AM
JK Super Freak

I already have my DVR set to record all episodes of Xtreme 4x4, the results should be interesting\entertaining
Old 02-25-2011, 10:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 4whelin
Nothing againts RIPP but I'd have to say the Hemi will take it...
And cost A LOT more too! Cost should be in this for sure
Old 02-25-2011, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

Are we taking bets? (its the day before the show )

I have a couple questions -

1. Did xtreme pay for the unit or are they being paid to use the unit?

- Nothing against the RIPP, I just have a hard time buying these types of shows opinion when half of the time they seem like a infomercial for a given product.

2. What reliability issues are there using the 3.8? The 3.8 has had a few complaints about burning oil & spun bearings when stock, will the supercharger increase the chance of experiencing these? What impact does a supercharger have on the life of the engine?

3. Even if the engine is perfectly fine, what about the stock drive-train behind hemi-like power? Hemi swaps normally include a new tranny and rear axle when considering the prices being thrown out there, the RIPP does not, are they not necessary with a RIPP?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 02-25-2011, 10:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Hemi swaps normally include a new tranny and rear axle when considering the prices being thrown out there, the RIPP does not, are they not necessary with a RIPP?

Thanks,

Matt
Hemi swaps prices of 20-30k do not include rear axle. Only motor, trans, wiring harness, radiator, exhaust, labor.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:51 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

1. Did xtreme pay for the unit or are they being paid to use the unit? - Nothing against the RIPP, I just have a hard time buying these types of shows opinion when half of the time they seem like a infomercial for a given product.

THEY want to be associated with reliable product - they got a discounted promo unit - Vortech kicked us a blower to help drive the price down... Besides WE'VE sold (what is approaching 600 systems total) 200 GEN2 kits worldwide. So the proof is in the client write-ups (which are on every JEEP forum out there) not just the show - but hey we are all exposed to social marketing everyday.

I mean their not consumer reports if that's what your asking... they where amendment about installing our kit (they specifically wanted it) - so much so that the host called our facility to get us on board.

2. What reliability issues are there using the 3.8? The 3.8 has had a few complaints about burning oil & spun bearings when stock, will the supercharger increase the chance of experiencing these? What impact does a supercharger have on the life of the engine?

RIPP on a whole is extremely conservative - we have an excellent track record - our clients have not reported engine failures of any type. Over the last 3 year RIPP has had reports of two head gasket related to the GEN1 and no failures wit GEN2... But nothing is guaranteed.

3. Even if the engine is perfectly fine, what about the stock drive-train behind hemi-like power? Hemi swaps normally include a new tranny and rear axle when considering the prices being thrown out there, the RIPP does not, are they not necessary with a RIPP?

Install a tran's temp coole - the drive-trian's are strong. This is where we take the bet - How much HP do you think a 5.7 makes?

RIPPTECH
Old 02-25-2011, 11:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GCM 2
Hemi swaps prices of 20-30k do not include rear axle. Only motor, trans, wiring harness, radiator, exhaust, labor.
Burnsville on their front page lists a 5.7VVT turn key swap for 21.5K. I find it difficult to imagine you can't fit a rear axle into that and still not be around 25K or less.

That said I'm not trying to be a d%*k, I'm just wondering if we are comparing apples to apples. (and I have a healthy distrust of the 'Power block' shows )
Old 02-25-2011, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is the JK an auto or manual? I seem to recall reading the manual gets alot more zip out of the RIPP over the auto. I guess to keep it fair and easy to drive an auto would be used because the hemi is typically an auto right?

This is going to be a great show!
Old 02-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matto0
Burnsville on their front page lists a 5.7VVT turn key swap for 21.5K. I find it difficult to imagine you can't fit a rear axle into that and still not be around 25K or less.

That said I'm not trying to be a d%*k, I'm just wondering if we are comparing apples to apples. (and I have a healthy distrust of the 'Power block' shows )
Okay - we were there during the test and so where the owners of the HEMI's. Everything they tested was transparent - nothing funny went down - The install was clean and the truck ran fine, with the exception of an alignment... but then again clients install our stuff in their driveway and it runs great too... is that the show or us?

Originally Posted by bbertram
Is the JK an auto or manual? I seem to recall reading the manual gets alot more zip out of the RIPP over the auto. I guess to keep it fair and easy to drive an auto would be used because the hemi is typically an auto right?

This is going to be a great show!
Auto

Last edited by RIPPMODS; 02-25-2011 at 11:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Xtreme 4X4 RIPP vs HEMI Supercharged JK Part 3