Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.
View Poll Results: HEMI or RIPP Supercharger
5.7 HEMI beats RIPP Supercharger
27.16%
RIPP Supercharger beats 5.7 HEMI
18.97%
Based on results I'd buy a Hemi
10.34%
Based on results I'd by a RIPP Supercharger
57.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Xtreme 4X4 RIPP vs HEMI Supercharged JK Part 3

Old 02-28-2011, 09:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZaneJK
sorry so was this comparison between the Ripp and a 5.7 hemi non vvt?

if so i can see why some would say spendin the coin on a hemi swap seem like a waste of money! but once u go 6.1 or more then i think u have a much solid and reliable platform that would surpass an SC. but thats just my .02 cents

I just ordered the new Hemi 6.4 VVT for my Jeep... so we'll see what thats like
Yes. Both of the Hemi JKs were non-VVT engines. I know that the VVT is supposed to make more power. Then again, so will the 6.1, 6.4, 7.2, etc ......... I guess it all depends on how you want to build it up.

Keep us updated on your build.

Anthony

Anthony
Old 02-28-2011, 03:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still going Hemi. Already having an engine helps, though it be a 6.1, I like the v-8 power band better. Having owned two cars(Mustang and LS1 '00 WS6 Trans Am) with vortec s-trim and a t-trim, the low end of idle to 2500rpm grunt won't be there with a centri boosted v-6. Hopefully my swap can take place soon, since I have a hammering knock on cold day starts, regardless of filters, and a tick in the valve train at idle. Once it's dead and the dealer replaces it, I'm swapping. That way I have a brand new v-6 to sell. Go ahead and call me crooked
Old 02-28-2011, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

All I can think of after reading all this is... "I guess there IS a replacement for displacement!"
Old 03-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by highoctane
I'm still going Hemi. Already having an engine helps, though it be a 6.1, I like the v-8 power band better. Having owned two cars(Mustang and LS1 '00 WS6 Trans Am) with vortec s-trim and a t-trim, the low end of idle to 2500rpm grunt won't be there with a centri boosted v-6. Hopefully my swap can take place soon, since I have a hammering knock on cold day starts, regardless of filters, and a tick in the valve train at idle. Once it's dead and the dealer replaces it, I'm swapping. That way I have a brand new v-6 to sell. Go ahead and call me crooked
Awesome - should be a great build...

To be clear we don't want to hammer the low end of the engine with boost - its not volumetrically efficient below 2000 rpm - Pumping boost at low RPM will inevitably stress the bottom end more than it really needs to - Our approach is much more conservative and we clearly state that across the board. We focus on the daily driving and over all dynamic, our kits completely blend into the engine natural feel and progressively build power through the entire RPM. Yes this is inherent to a centrifugal, but then the variable is the tuning and that's were we got fanatical about it, when clients state the the engine feels completely different , that's what their focusing on.

A V8 is a V8 but the test proves that with mild tuning it more like a supercharged V6 -/+

Originally Posted by totdoc
All I can think of after reading all this is... "I guess there IS a replacement for displacement!"

RIPPTECH
Old 03-01-2011, 12:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS
Awesome - should be a great build...

To be clear we don't want to hammer the low end of the engine with boost - its not volumetrically efficient below 2000 rpm - Pumping boost at low RPM will inevitably stress the bottom end more than it really needs to - Our approach is much more conservative and we clearly state that across the board. We focus on the daily driving and over all dynamic, our kits completely blend into the engine natural feel and progressively build power through the entire RPM. Yes this is inherent to a centrifugal, but then the variable is the tuning and that's were we got fanatical about it, when clients state the the engine feels completely different , that's what their focusing on.

A V8 is a V8 but the test proves that with mild tuning it more like a supercharged V6 -/+

RIPPTECH
Just to make it clear my post wasn't meant to bash RIPP. The craptastic v-6 is why I want a Hemi, and you hit the nail on the head, volumetric efficiency. It's just not there with the V-6, and without forged internals, your right, it'll self destruct. I dont think there is a way to have the low end grunt I want with the V-6 without BIG bucks dumped into it. The two things I HATE about the V-6 are, lack of off idle power to start accelerating, and the lack of mid range power on the highway. The RIPP sure does take care of the lack of mid range power, and adds high end power as well.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:01 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by highoctane
Just to make it clear my post wasn't meant to bash RIPP. The craptastic v-6 is why I want a Hemi, and you hit the nail on the head, volumetric efficiency. It's just not there with the V-6, and without forged internals, your right, it'll self destruct. I dont think there is a way to have the low end grunt I want with the V-6 without BIG bucks dumped into it. The two things I HATE about the V-6 are, lack of off idle power to start accelerating, and the lack of mid range power on the highway. The RIPP sure does take care of the lack of mid range power, and adds high end power as well.
We completely understand -

Having driven the 5.7 we can tell you that off idle to 2200 its meaty. From 2100 to red line the Supercharged 3.8 feels on par and to us our rigs feel faster - But our rigs are making a considerable amount more power... (compared to the AEV programmed 5.7 non VVT engines) 30more rear wheel hp and 30more ft/lbs of torque.

This is our shop rig...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOG0_8VtMa4 What the dyno shows and how it all comes together are two different things - I'd bet you'd be impressed with one of our rigs if you had an opportunity to drive one -We got fanatical with the trans shift points and response, which makes the rigs feel completely different....

Meant as one - on - one conversation and not argumentatively...

RIPPTECH

Last edited by RIPPMODS; 03-02-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

So, you guys need any guinea pig JK's to test more RIPPs? If so, I may be willing to volunteer my JK.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

The other thing I can't help but wonder...the new pentastar for next year is supposedly boost friendly...does RIPP have anything up their sleeves for next years model, or is this model year the end of the SC fun?
Old 03-02-2011, 11:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh I'm sure they will supercharge the penstar...no doubt
Old 03-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by totdoc
The other thing I can't help but wonder...the new pentastar for next year is supposedly boost friendly...does RIPP have anything up their sleeves for next years model, or is this model year the end of the SC fun?
We're already on it -

Quick Reply: Xtreme 4X4 RIPP vs HEMI Supercharged JK Part 3