Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

XRC-8 Winch installed...pics inside!

Old 10-13-2010, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RRCP08JK
How do you like your Smittybuilt bumper? Was it plug and play or did you have to drill around a bit? I do like the way the winch sits low between the frame on that bumper keeping the COG low at the same time.
I really like it. I looked for a while and the only drawback to it was not being able to keep the stock fogs. I love the looks of it and it seems to be built well.

As for installation, you have to drill out two of the holes on the frame mounts for the stock bumper as they are oval and need to just be rounded off. Also, you are "supposed" to bolt 4 carriage bolts into the cross member that runs under the jeep. However, according to Smittybilt, the cross member sits slightly farther back on 2 doors than on unlimiteds, and it doesn't line up correctly. I could only get the two middle ones in as you have to drill up into the cross member. It's still pretty stout, but I haven't really tested it against anything yet.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKMudder
I really like it. I looked for a while and the only drawback to it was not being able to keep the stock fogs. I love the looks of it and it seems to be built well.

As for installation, you have to drill out two of the holes on the frame mounts for the stock bumper as they are oval and need to just be rounded off. Also, you are "supposed" to bolt 4 carriage bolts into the cross member that runs under the jeep. However, according to Smittybilt, the cross member sits slightly farther back on 2 doors than on unlimiteds, and it doesn't line up correctly. I could only get the two middle ones in as you have to drill up into the cross member. It's still pretty stout, but I haven't really tested it against anything yet.
The OE fog lamp hook up is what I'm thinking 'bout. I like the Mountain Off Road bumper alot and it's integrated skid and fog lamp provision but the pricing is pretty hefty. The MORE and Smittybuilt look very similar in appearance. Did you weigh the brick before installing it??
Old 10-13-2010, 05:19 PM
JK Freak

$417-$450 is a gerat price for that winch. I got mine with a special can't tell you where promise for $400 and it included the cover.
How about a PM where?
Old 10-13-2010, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

The OE fog lamp hook up is what I'm thinking 'bout. I like the Mountain Off Road bumper alot and it's integrated skid and fog lamp provision but the pricing is pretty hefty. The MORE and Smittybuilt look very similar in appearance. Did you weigh the brick before installing it??
Yeah, I was between those two also as they look similar. I couldn't bring myself to pay more for the MORE one, though I'm sure its a great piece.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Looks good! but what do i know? i'm not a winch expert

hoping to get one in the later years, but for now i'll stick with my good ole' tow strap
Old 10-13-2010, 05:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by thrshr01
How about a PM where?
I 2nd that notion....PM please
Old 10-13-2010, 05:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKMudder
So, if you guys have not figured it out at this point...I am a picture whore .

Anyway, got my XRC8 Comp winch in yesterday and installed it today. I was surprised really with how easy it was to install. Followed all the directions I found on here. I was able to get it on without taking the bumper back off. Be gentle on my line spool as it was my first attempt ever. Here are a couple pics of it. I have a spare set of KCs that Im gonna throw on it later this week. (I'll just add those pics here, I'm not THAT big of a whore) Let me know what you think.

Very nice setup , I am waitimg for mine to arrive. I am wondering if I can install it on my new bumper , after I install the bumper.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

No need to start a new thread. Front end is officially finished. Installed my KC fogs today.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the same setup, its sweet!!!
Old 10-15-2010, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice

Quick Reply: XRC-8 Winch installed...pics inside!